Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars > American Cars Pictures and Videos

Old 01-18-2008, 06:22 PM   #16
graywolf624
Regular User

No matter what the vette people say, it is directly comparable to a C6 in performance characteristi
Concept car...Actual car you can buy..
Yup directly comparable... Sure..
Old 01-18-2008, 06:28 PM   #17
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Well, SAAC has claimed Shelby cashed their cheques but just doesnt remember - so it is going to be a "he say she say" for a while at least.

Up for debate is also that other than the historic docs etc, much o fthe property may not have been his to "license".

Well, either way, I have to side with the "little guy" until its proven he isnt the shark in this one
If it were Shelby himself who was cashing the checks, then that may well be the case

but it isn't Shelby, I believe its his daughter or something... who is running the business now, and doing amazing things... even if you don't know about them

Siding with the little guy? sounds a little ... i better not say it ... emotional judgment

hehe
Old 01-18-2008, 10:49 PM   #18
PaulGT2164
Regular User

given carol shelby's long time devotion to his passion, as well as kindness towards fans and other charitable organizations, i do believe there is more to this than meets the eye.

I have been lucky to drive many of his products, i have driven a real 427 and a real 289 cobra, i have also driven several real gt350s and gt500s. I have not driven anything newer of his, but i do not really consider anything newer a true shelby. He was a pioneer then, more of a "badge" it seems now.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:01 AM   #19
fordgt84
Regular User

to all those who say that the current shelby cars are just mustangs with badges that have no real involvement from shelby himself, is like asking if night comes after day...its quite obvious.

i mean the man is like 1,398 years old, do u really expect him to spend hours, days, months even, testing whether the suspension or power delivery of a car is right? no he lets the younger boys do it.

why get all political about a car when u can simply enjoy it for what it is, in this case a car that looks good, sounds gr8 and will probably handle better than the normal gt500 (i'm indifferent about that car). what happened to just liking a car? u see one or hear one and u say " yep i like it"... it seems these days many of u want the car to have the popes blessing or something, or that it has signed some sort of non-nuclear weapons treaty

keep it simple guys
fordgt84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:29 AM   #20
graywolf624
Regular User

as well as kindness towards fans and other charitable organizations
Does going after replicas with cobra badges count as kindness?

years old, do u really expect him to spend hours, days, months even, testing whether the suspension or power delivery of a car is right? no he lets the younger boys do it.
If thats the excuse then how does that apply to the 80s dodge shelby dakotas. The mans a businessman, not a racer.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:40 PM   #21
fordgt84
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624 View Post

If thats the excuse then how does that apply to the 80s dodge shelby dakotas. The mans a businessman, not a racer.
yes and don't forget the 80s dodge charger

saying he's not a racer is pushing it though, we all know he was a gr8 driver b4 he started modifying mustangs and ac cars.

i never denied that shelby likes to do business, but cuz of his age he is even less likely to have a full time development job now then he did back then, so there's no reason to get bent out of shape when u find out he didn't decide after how many seconds should the 8th cylinder receive fuel after the 5th...and in the 80s u gotta look at the cars of the time, this was american cars at their worst, america simply wasn't making good cars in the 80s

and besides everyone uses famous names to get their cars on the market; chevy is using the ZR1, subaru used richard burns' name (RIP) with rb5 and rb320, mercedes 63 amg cars have 6.3l badges when they're really 6.2l etc.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:28 PM   #22
graywolf624
Regular User

saying he's not a racer is pushing it though, we all know he was a gr8 driver b4 he started modifying mustangs and ac cars.
Hes not a racer.. He was a racer. He hasnt been in a race in 30 years. And before you point out his age how old was Paul Newman in his last Lemans run?

I'm admitedly not a fan of Shelby. Not because of his cars.. but because of how he treated the replica community. The man has always come off as a sleezy used car salesmen to me.

america simply wasn't making good cars in the 80s
There were a few good, at least compared to the rest of the world at that time, American cars in the 80s. Shelbys name wasnt attached to them.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:38 AM   #23
fordgt84
Regular User

^ what does paul newman have to do with this? dawg ppl are different, isn't he more of an actor? anyhoo i'm sure u'd be enthusiastic about racing down mulsanne straight at insane speeds knowing u could have a heart attack at anytime, that's why shelby retired...i also remember shelby winning a le mans race, did newman?
Old 01-20-2008, 01:49 PM   #24
graywolf624
Regular User

^ what does paul newman have to do with this? dawg ppl are different, isn't he more of an actor? anyhoo i'm sure u'd be enthusiastic about racing down mulsanne straight at insane speeds knowing u could have a heart attack at anytime, that's why shelby retired...i also remember shelby winning a le mans race, did newman?
Newman came in second in the 24 hour race, was a very famous racer for Nissan.. And won his last race, the 24 hrs at daytona, at 70. Caroll Shelby hasnt raced a car since the 50s. Your right two different people.. but I don't believe that he quit racing for health reasons to be honest. I strongly believe it was the green stuff. He simply made more money with his cars. Can I prove it? No. Can I show you he has a long history of borderline ethical business practices... Yes. Nothing illegal mind you, but plenty I find sketchy.

Last edited by graywolf624; 01-20-2008 at 01:56 PM.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:02 PM   #25
gangajas
Regular User

The first unit has been sold for 605,000 $

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/19/b...sells-for-605/
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:09 AM   #26
fordgt84
Regular User

^ thanks for the link it looks sick in that color

Newman came in second in the 24 hour race, was a very famous racer for Nissan.. And won his last race, the 24 hrs at daytona, at 70. Caroll Shelby hasnt raced a car since the 50s. Your right two different people.. but I don't believe that he quit racing for health reasons to be honest. I strongly believe it was the green stuff. He simply made more money with his cars. Can I prove it? No. Can I show you he has a long history of borderline ethical business practices... Yes. Nothing illegal mind you, but plenty I find sketchy.
well i guess the only way u can find out if he retired for the cash is if u could somehow read his mind...i think that might be a bit difficult

like i said before i don't deny that shelby likes to do business, and as for newman it seems that he happens to be good at his second passion, but u also gotta remember that he started racing very late, where as most full time drivers retire before they're even 40, e.g michael schumacher and jackie stewart
Old 01-21-2008, 12:27 PM   #27
nthfinity
Regular User

fordgt84, one of the world's most talented race drivers, Darek Bell is retiring in a week or few after Daytona? (or is it Sebring?) ... he was winning races at the same time when Carol Shelby was a winning team principal in the 60's for Ford's European racing... 50 years later, he's still racing

then again, very few can compare to Bell
. Can I show you he has a long history of borderline ethical business practices... Yes. Nothing illegal mind you, but plenty I find sketchy.
Based on this, you should REALLY REALLLY hate General Motors as a company
Old 01-21-2008, 03:14 PM   #28
rave426
Regular User

I was going to pre-order one of those, just so I can flip it to a collector so I could make money to buy me a new M3...

The damn dealer told me they would only get one and the dealership owner was buying it for 75K
Old 01-21-2008, 10:53 PM   #29
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by rave426 View Post
I was going to pre-order one of those, just so I can flip it to a collector so I could make money to buy me a new M3...

The damn dealer told me they would only get one and the dealership owner was buying it for 75K
MSRP is going to be near 80K it looks like

Also..
0-60 recorded on a drag strip @ 3.8 seconds
1/4 mile trap speed of 117 mph
1+ g lateral handling
800? ft. slolam @ 72.5 mph
60-0 in 108 ft.

HOLY HELL