Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Japanese Cars

Japanese Cars Japanese car discussion

Old 05-02-2008, 04:00 PM   #1
CarlZ
Regular User

I find this funny. How often do you see car company saying that their car has less bhp than it actually has? Like is it a bad thing now? lol
And why should they lie, couse if they are this is going to be discovered eventually...
Old 05-02-2008, 06:59 PM   #2
79TA
Regular User

Originally Posted by CarlZ View Post
I find this funny. How often do you see car company saying that their car has less bhp than it actually has? Like is it a bad thing now? lol
And why should they lie, couse if they are this is going to be discovered eventually...
With the GT-R, it's not a slight underestimate (like in the case of the last 8.3 litre vipers that had power outputs that might vary +/- 1%) Either the wizardry of the GT-R is real, or they're simply hiding the true power output. It's deceptive with no legitimate excuse. I said this once before but I'll say it again. I'm sure the Nissan engineers aren't so lousy that they can't figure out how much power the engine is putting out.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:14 PM   #3
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by 79TA View Post
With the GT-R, it's not a slight underestimate (like in the case of the last 8.3 litre vipers that had power outputs that might vary +/- 1%) Either the wizardry of the GT-R is real, or they're simply hiding the true power output. It's deceptive with no legitimate excuse. I said this once before but I'll say it again. I'm sure the Nissan engineers aren't so lousy that they can't figure out how much power the engine is putting out.
I bet it has an adaptive overboost ability, and on the road course it simply boosts power to 700bhp when needed
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:29 PM   #4
5vz-fe
Regular User

Lower HP means you are competing with a lower class of cars in terms of power. Giving it an advantage in the market segment to justify the higher price. Or make it look like an engineering marvel.

Keep in mind that turbo charging is the easiest way to make HP, so claiming to make 550 from a 3.8 engine is not as jaw dropping as having ~470 hp and beating anything up to 650. Thus "proving" its advance chassis design, drivetrain, and engine tuning.

It's more about brand polishing than it's about cars This is a product to make ppl that can't afford a GT-R believe they are getting similar treatment in the POS lower lineup.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:11 PM   #5
04RCSTI
Regular User

Can we change the name of this forum to the "GT-R fanboy vs haters club" Im tired of this shit, just leave the damn thing alone lol
Old 05-03-2008, 06:32 PM   #6
RC45
Regular User

^^^ - you're just pissed because then GT-R will run rings around your car.. my car is at least hampered by too much power, too light of a weight and too sticky tyres.. but you have the extra weight, lack of power and AWD of the GT-R (not to mention superior brake pads - those make all the difference) so should be right there nipping its heels with a 7:35 time - so what's your excure?
Old 05-06-2008, 10:34 PM   #7
Pokiou
Regular User

Going fast in a straight line doesnt mean the car is fast aruond corners. Out of all the people here RC.. you should know this.. NOW.. lets dual it out in GTA4 byatch!
Pokiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:14 PM   #8
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Pokiou View Post
Going fast in a straight line doesnt mean the car is fast aruond corners. Out of all the people here RC.. you should know this.. NOW.. lets dual it out in GTA4 byatch!
Your point?

The GT-R is slow in a straight line and around corners... can't wait to meet up with one on the streets - especially after the guy/gal paid $40,000 extra just to get one of the first ones.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:41 PM   #9
Pokiou
Regular User

My point is obvious man dont make me spell it out. It's stupidly simple. Not every one can drive a car on the edge.
Pokiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:54 PM   #10
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Pokiou View Post
My point is obvious man dont make me spell it out. It's stupidly simple. Not every one can drive a car on the edge.
I'm still not sure what your point is though?

Are we still discussing the GT-R or an STi or a Z06 ??

Supposedly anyone can go fast in a GT-R - it just does everything by computer
Old 05-07-2008, 01:37 AM   #11
SinRS
Regular User

I agree with RC. There's something sneaky about GT-R. I like the car and it's performance, but something just isn't right about the given numbers.
SinRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:58 AM   #12
79TA
Regular User

I'll just add this here for the sake of reference.

http://kultivate.wordpress.com/2008/...r-on-the-dyno/

For like the 7th time or something now, my guess is still 515 at the crank.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:33 PM   #13
graywolf624
Regular User

The controversey continues.. http://www.motortrend.com/av/roadtes...deo/index.html
Randy pobst tests.. Results: beats the r8 around laguna by .5 seconds. Not exactly the 5 secs it did in the tests by Mr. Millen now is it. Also mentioned the tires being rediculous. Finally.. apparently its alot less drive itself then you might think..
Old 08-28-2008, 10:43 PM   #14
RC45
Regular User

I spoke with a gent that had a chance to thrash a GT-R around a track in anger - and his conclusion was that the car pushed like a bus, the tyres made the day, but were shot by 5pm... and that the car is a lot of fun to drive - while the tyres provide the needed level of grip, but that the car slows down as the day progresses and your tyres and brakes take a beating managing all that weight.

They corner weighted the car - I believe he said 3960lbs tanked up and ready for track duty.

He would love to have one as a daily driver, but concluded in stock form it is not a very serious track car, and will be hellish expensive on consumables and required maintenance if you do track it often.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:14 AM   #15
79TA
Regular User

add one 150+ pound driver and you've got 2 tons to sling around.