Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 02-18-2004, 03:23 PM   #1
he7lius
Regular User

Default Mclaren Idea of been sensible?

Hi,
just bought this months Autocar mag and it looks like Mclaren / Merc partnership is going to give us a new Supercar.
A mid-engine RWD, ready to compete with the 360 and the Gallardo.

Don't have a scanner so can't show you the photo but there’s a small one on www.autocarmag.com.

Is it a hit or a miss??
I think it is a hit
he7lius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 03:53 PM   #2
Fleischmann
Regular User

too small...can't see it too well...
But it's still got that BEEEEEEEP SLR nose. Anyway it'a a baby McLaren so it should be cool. All we can do now is wait for more info.

BTW the correct adress is www.autocarmag.com (he7luis, ya added a dot after the adress)
Old 02-18-2004, 04:33 PM   #3
Toronto
Regular User

i know the new slk will have the looks of the SLR but this one looks ugly (from what i can see)
Old 02-18-2004, 04:57 PM   #4
scubywrxr
Regular User

lets hope its a drivers car, coz then looks wont matter, right?
scubywrxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 05:16 PM   #5
DMbaseball1604
Regular User

Yeah I hope with this one they will realize that they need to make the car more McLaren and less of Mercedes...
DMbaseball1604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 05:54 PM   #6
DeMoN
Regular User

the pic looks computer generated, if it is, we have hope. I dont like its look either.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:47 PM   #7
S0300182
Regular User

That car defines ugly, and y hav a nuther MclarenF1, Gordan Murray Created a work of art with the McLaren F1 and i dont think he'd want a 'baby mclaren'
Old 02-18-2004, 06:51 PM   #8
S0300182
Regular User

McLaren and Mercedes Partnership for the SLR worked fine for that ew SLK i dont Think so
H
I
D
E
O
U
S
Old 02-18-2004, 07:13 PM   #9
1zippo1
Regular User

It would be cool if they bring out a baby mclaren but I fear it won't be the car we hope it to be... The SLR isn't really a worthy offspring of the McLaren F1 is it... well since this is still in coöperation with Mercedes that this new McLaren will be build... it probably won't be a real sportscar...

Oh and yes that nose is ugly on that car!! The side looks good, but that nose has to go.
1zippo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 07:59 PM   #10
cavallino
Regular User

I would still take a Gallardo over any car in that price range.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:16 PM   #11
ferrari550
Regular User

If you are talking about the car on the cover, then that is just plane ugly. It looks like a GM hybrid or something.
I am not even to fond of the new slk, it looks like a convertable SLR that was squished.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:41 AM   #12
McLarenF1God
Regular User

Oh wow what is that? I was expecting to see the current McLaren SLR but to my surprise it's another Benz/McLaren concept? I want more information.

I drew my avatar.
GamerTag: McLarenF1God
Still waiting...
McLarenF1God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 04:30 AM   #13
altezza
Regular User

source: drive.com.au

Mercedes ponders another supercar
By Greg Kable
The Age
Thursday February 19 2004

Mercedes-Benz wants to fight Ferrari and Lamborghini at their own game, with plans to build a mid-engined supercar to take on the 360 Modena and recently launched Gallardo.

Rather than opting for another front-engined, rear-drive supercar -- such as the 460kW SLR -- for the second stage of the duo's road car partnership, Mercedes-Benz and McLaren are seeking to deliver a smaller, lighter, more focused mid-engined model to slot between the $370,000 SL 55 AMG and the $1 million SLR in performance and price.

Known as the P8, the new Benz supercar is officially a concept, which means styling, engineering, logistic, production and cost proposals for the two-seater are under way.

But it is already clear that both Mercedes-Benz and McLaren management are desperate to put it into production. And the word is that as well as a regular coupe, there will also be a convertible.

"Yes, we are looking at a mid-engined road car," Mercedes boss Jurgen Hubbert told US publication AutoWeek. "But there is no decision on production."

The P8's two-seater body is expected to use a mixture of carbon fibre, thermoplastics and aluminium to keep weight down. And its slinky shape is tipped to largely be driven by the wind tunnel, with aerodynamic efficiency high on the agenda to ensure adequate downforce, as well as the need to feed air to vital components.

The P8's engine is believed to be a new 6.3-litre naturally aspirated V8 that will also be used in future AMG models, expected to deliver about 400kW. A 530kW-plus twin-turbocharged version is also in the pipeline. The top speed of the P8 is believed to be more than 320kmh.

The P8 is expected to cost more than the Ferrari 360 and Lamborghini Gallardo with which it will compete, meaning something in the order of $450,000 seems likely.

As well as generous equipment levels, the Benz/McLaren supercar has many safety features, starting with front, side and curtain airbags. Benz's Pre-Safe system, which "prepares" the car for a crash while helping avoid it in the first place, will be included.

The rear-wheel-drive supercar is planned to be built alongside the gullwing-doored SLR at the McLaren Technology Centre in England from late 2007. However, the car is still awaiting approval from Mercedes and McLaren board members.

Even if it gets the go-ahead, there is no word yet on whether the P8 would be built in right-hand drive. Given Benz's move to make the SLR only in left-hand drive, it appears unlikely. So the P8 may be confined to Australian race tracks and motor shows.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:39 PM   #14
dylan99
Regular User

I don't rely on photoshopped pics. It can be rubbish or maybe it isn't personally I don't think the car will look like this if it comes out. Let McLaren confirm it first.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:48 PM   #15
callen
Regular User

i made a topic a few months ago after reading an F1 magazine. At that time it was just a small blurb in the news sections....but it seems that this is for real and i am happy as hell! more supercars is never a bad thing and when the best super car manufacturer says its gonna build another one....i cant fucking wait! and also guys as i read in the magazine the THIRD stage will be something along the lines of a ferrari 575M killer!