Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 08-14-2006, 08:53 PM   #1
vexor
Regular User

Default "Audi R10 TDi racer is too fast"

The Audi R10 TDI — the world's first Le Mans diesel race car — has been doing so well that new regulations have been put in place to curb its success. The American Le Mans Series has decided to allow the competing gas-powered LM P1 Lolas to drop 143 pounds of weight to make for a tighter race. The Lolas will also be granted a five-litre larger fuel tank. Audi says its engineers have calculated with computer simulation that 22 pounds at the upcoming Road America is worth at least two-tenths-of-a-second per lap. Audi said it is "deeply disappointed about the random decisions of the IMSA organization." Nonetheless, Audi is hopefully it can continue its winning streak this weekend with the Road America race.
More info HERE

vexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 09:06 PM   #2
nickthaskater

I can't wait for big manufacturers to start coming back into the top levels of Le Mans... Poor privateers just can't find a balance between reliability and power. If only Mercedes would get their asses back into the game with another CLK blitzkrieg!
Old 08-14-2006, 09:13 PM   #3
spanky
Regular User

I guess Audi could be proud they've done so well with the diesel car, that everyone else wants concessions!
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:27 PM   #4
Sir_GT
Regular User

So this is what Le Mans has turned into? A sport for rich crybabies?
Old 08-14-2006, 11:32 PM   #5
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by Sir_GT
So this is what Le Mans has turned into? A sport for rich crybabies?
No, it's a sport for not rich enough cry babies. Privateers can't spend nearly what the manufacturers can.
Audi will work with what they've got and they'll continue to win races regardless.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:42 PM   #6
nickthaskater

With Peugeot entering LMP1 next year, and Porsche and Acura looking to be on their way to P1 as well in the next couple years, hopefully some other manufacturers will be inspired to join back up alongside them. Getting the likes of Toyota in, and bringing back Mercedes and Ferrari, would be a dream come true. I'd like to see the Audis go up against some worthy competition.
nickthaskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 12:28 AM   #7
Caplax40
Regular User

Jeez that sucks. I saw an ALMS race in person about a month ago and I gotta say that R10 is stunning. I even bought a damn R10 shirt.

I understand the IMSA's decision about making it more competitive. It just sucks that in ALMS the factory-backed teams are too fast and get penalized for it. Yeah, it makes it more even for privateers but at the same time it's bittersweet since they have to slow down the factory based cars to make things interesting.
Caplax40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 01:14 AM   #8
nickthaskater

Originally Posted by Caplax40
Jeez that sucks. I saw an ALMS race in person about a month ago and I gotta say that R10 is stunning. I even bought a damn R10 shirt.

I understand the IMSA's decision about making it more competitive. It just sucks that in ALMS the factory-backed teams are too fast and get penalized for it. Yeah, it makes it more even for privateers but at the same time it's bittersweet since they have to slow down the factory based cars to make things interesting.
They aren't slowing them down, they're making the privateers faster.
nickthaskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 01:12 PM   #9
rave426
Regular User

Im surprised they havnt allowed Aston Martin a larger capacity fuel tank to break up the Vettes recent victories.

If the big companies were in there this would be rediculous. Just becase Audi happened to think about using a diesel engine that is more reliable and uses less gas doesnt mean the others get gifts. The only reason its not crazy is because the "privateers" to have a smaller budget and dont have the funding for the research and testing that Audi put into that car.

AHHH.....I remember the haydays of LM in my generation. Back when we had BMW LM's, Nissan RC's, Toyota GT1's, and Mercs.........even back when the Oreca Viper was doing well.......and further back to the Renown days...

Today it just isnt as exciting to me.

BMW and Merc needs to get that rival started again
Old 08-15-2006, 07:25 PM   #10
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by rave426
Im surprised they havnt allowed Aston Martin a larger capacity fuel tank to break up the Vettes recent victories.
The Vettes have been handed weight penalties recently due to Astons pissing and moaning.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:33 PM   #11
nickthaskater

The Aston's don't lose because they're slow, they lose because they're fragile. That, and they're actually competitive, unlike the majority of privateer LMP1 cars.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:57 PM   #12
T-Bird
Regular User

Originally Posted by goodduck
i would love to see the audi ad that comes out of this.
Audi: Too Damn Fast
Audi: Making Diesels Fun
Audi: Polluting the World at 200 mph
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:53 PM   #13
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by T-Bird
Originally Posted by goodduck
i would love to see the audi ad that comes out of this.
Audi: Too Damn Fast
Audi: Making Diesels Fun
Audi: Polluting the World at 200 mph
Specially blended diesel from Shell along with the cats or whatever they use, the emissions are actually pretty low. None of that black soot whatsoever from what I've read.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:22 AM   #14
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

This is one of the problems I have with motorsport today..

Since ever since, motorsport has been about going faster, constant implementation of new technology, to go faster.

Ever since the explosion of speed tech from the late 70's to the 80's, as soon as one team or car comes up with a way to go fast, they get banned for next year..

But then again they allow things like launch control to make starts the most boring part of the race.

Back on topic about the R10 and series,

They aren't even penalizing the R10, but giving an advantage to the opponents? WTF is the point of that?!

If they put realistic restrictions on the R10 they can atleast develop new technology to improve in other ways.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:30 PM   #15
dannyroz
Regular User

^^ I see your point when it comes to restrictions but the Diesel technology is too new and hasnt been fully developed. The small factory teams already have had their cars for a while since they cant afford constant upgrades like the factory backed team, so making them [small teams] faster is the only way at this moment.

The R8 didnt even have restrictions until the last 2 seasons of competitions because Audi wanted to fully develop the tech coming out of the car.

And if the R10 wasnt as reliable out of the box as it has been than we wouldnt be having this post in the first place...but thats diesel for ya