Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Porsche

Porsche Porsche - the finest German Cars

Old 08-31-2004, 03:07 AM   #1
zmydust823
Regular User

Default Favorite 911 Bodystyle

Many argue over which bodystyle is best, some enjoy the new 996 looks, but in my experience, the favorite seems to be the 993 with its classic headlights, wide body, and air cooled engine...the new 997 is bringing back the traditional front headlights...what do you guys think...
Old 08-31-2004, 03:11 AM   #2
gucom
Regular User

well as u said the 993 looks awesome, that wide body kicks ass if u c it from behind, such a recognisable profile...im soooooooooooo glad the 997 returns to that styling..my dad thinks the old 911's look best, when they didnt have wide wheel arches yet, his fav model is the 2.7RS from '73 (ok i have to admit that car DOES kick ass)
Old 08-31-2004, 03:14 AM   #3
zmydust823
Regular User

i saw some pics of the new 997 interior and if im not mistaken they even changed the interior in some areas like the window buttons back where the 993 and previous models had them instead of in the center console as the 996 has (which is kind of like bmw 3 series)
zmydust823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 03:17 AM   #4
SilviaEvo
Regular User

996 Porsche GT2 is the ultimate
btw Welcome to Jabbas World another one of the rare women on JW
Old 08-31-2004, 03:34 AM   #5
Fleischmann
Regular User

Originally Posted by SilviaEvo
Yeah, I second that. With the larger front air intakes and the spoiler at the back. Badass
Old 08-31-2004, 04:01 AM   #6
vexor
Regular User

I agree with you too. I'm not a big fan of classic cars so therefore i'm not a fan of the classic look of the 993 models.

vexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 04:06 AM   #7
cooperluke
Regular User

My favourites are the 911 2.7 RSR and the 993 Turbo.
The new 997, is pretty nice too, much better than the 996!

cooperluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 04:18 AM   #8
dingo
Regular User

btw Welcome to Jabbas World another one of the rare women on JW
Who is the female?

I also like the 996 GT2, great looking car....as are most of the 996-series. The new 997's also look very appealing.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:38 AM   #9
espen
Regular User

Best looking 911 ever is the RUF CTR. I've driven a BTR (similar only more civilized) and being 930-based it looks better than it drives, but wow once turbos come on song all is forgiven
espen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 07:45 AM   #10
astonmartinandy
Regular User

I agree with you on the 2.7 RS, but my personal favourite is the 993 Turbo. Classic lights, hips and air cooled power make it my personal favourite
"It's not long before Marco arrives, but he's at least five minutes behind an epic wall of noise that's been bouncing off the rock faces like a sonic pinball. Onlookers, of which there are many, seem relieved when the livid red Ferrari skims into view, happier still when they see it's driven by a friendly Italian, and not, as the thunderous sound effects suggested, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse." Evo #059
astonmartinandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 11:08 AM   #11
crasherror
Regular User

Trying to pick your favorite 911-body style is like asking which of the Olson twins is better looking. They are all wonderful. There have been 6 styles of the 911 bodies with countless variations of these models.

The original 911 is a classic and timeless design. It is like a fine wine it only gets better as time passes. This design is so important in the whole design philosophy of the 911 range. The best of this body style has to be the 2.7RS Carrera. It was a trendsetter for its time it was the first car ever to have a spoiler fitted as standard. Plus it had massive wheel arches to hold in the wide rubber.

Next is the G- bodied 911s this is here many changes were implemented on the design of the car. Some ideas were good and some bad. I love how Porsche integrated a rear center light bar that stretched across the back of the car. But, due to safety regulations new impact bumpers were fitted to satisfy many new safety codes. The best of this body style has to be the icon of powerful motoring. TURBO! Porsche was the second car manufacturer to use turbo charging on a road car. The best part about the turbo is that they used pioneering technology that they gained from the racetrack and put in a road car you could buy. In essence giving racetrack power to the people. Also this was done during the oil crisis of the 70s when other manufactures we backing away from high power cars. Thanks to the turbo it change the way the world referred to power. For instance I was watching a commercial for dishwashing soap and the referred to the performance as “turbo powered”. And the reason for this is the 911 Turbo. Also you have to love the way it looks with the massive spoiler and even bigger wheel arches, a true icon of power!

The 964 was the next style of 911s this is probably the forgotten style. The reason I say this is that this was there worst selling 911 in history. For some reason its sale were very small, especially in America where in 1992 the only sold 3200 911s. It has to be said the style of the 964 is a little too subdued. No big arches or flares. But we did get a real cool feature that would make it mark on following 911s. The retractable rear spoiler. Another pioneering technology developed by Porsche and copied by other manufactures for years to come. The 964 turbo Flachbau is the best design in the 964. It had many design elements that would find its way in later models i.e. angled headlights and air scoops in the rear wheel arches. A car ahead of its time.

The 993 the best design of the 911 period! The 993 GT2 EVO is the best-looking 993. It is so aggressive it would slap you in your face if you looked at it wrong. It had the massive two-planned wing. Bolted on fender flares. Big three piece wheels. It was a monster that haunted every Ferrari owner’s nightmares. It was a true force to be reckoned with on both road and track.

The 996, is more smooth an elegant that its predecessor. The 993 was like a sprinter very raw and muscular, the 996 is like a long distance runner very lean and purposeful. But it also seemed to be a cost saving exercising at Porsche, sharing the whole front clip of the car with the Boxster, which was done to save costs. They later fixed this by putting the turbo light cluster in. The best-looking 996 is the TURBO. It is a modern take on a classic design. With a two planned rear wing and big air scoops in the rear arches. But what made the design of this turbo different than the previous models is was more than a wing and a turbo badge. It had additional air scoops and vents making it look more like a road going jet fighter than a road car. Every time I look at a turbo I see new design element I never recognized before. A true treat for the eyes.

The 997 I have had the opportunity to see both the Carrera and Carrera S in person and I must say it might dethrone the 993 as my #1 design of the 911. It has all of the design elements that made the 993 so appealing, but now it has a more technological feel. I looks like a classic but it has all the technology to rival any car on the road. And yes the ROUND LIGHTS ARE BACK!!!!! No more Boxster parts!! I have changed my mind the 997 is my favorite now. Not because it is the newest or the fastest of the 911s. Because it represents the future of the 911. Classic and elegant styling with tons technology from the racing circuits.

The 911 has lasted 40+ years thanks do the wonderful design philosophy laid down decades ago. It is thanks to the passion of the owners, designers, engineers, and fans of the 911 that keep this motoring icon going.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:40 AM   #12
HeilSvenska
Regular User

is like asking which of the Olson twins is better looking
Actually...

The 993 GT2 EVO is the best-looking 993
Yes! That's what i was thinking. Those huge padded haunches.

996 was too flat sided. There is no doubt that 996 GT2 and 996 GT3 were wonderful cars, but they could have looked better.

My favorite classic 911 bodytype is that of
'73 Porsche 911 Carrera RS

993 Turbo/GT2
993 newer GT1
996 C4S

997 looks the best though
Old 08-31-2004, 12:11 PM   #13
skituner
Regular User

993 Turbo

skituner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 02:07 PM   #14
TransAm
Regular User

993 every time!

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 03:01 PM   #15
DMbaseball1604
Regular User

Originally Posted by skituner
993 Turbo

I second that...I love the way the 993 looks and, I'm very pleased to see Porsche return to that kind of styling with the 997
DMbaseball1604 is offline   Reply With Quote