Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Porsche

Porsche Porsche - the finest German Cars

Old 06-03-2004, 12:04 AM   #1
Apac102
Regular User

Default Hateful CGT

I read in a recent article in Car magazine about them driving a CGT around Germany. After reading the article, they said that it isn't the best car out there for everyday driving..WELL NO SHIT!!! I just was wondering if anyone read this article and thought it was kinda stupid that these guys considered using a CGT as a car for every day.
Apac102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 12:21 AM   #2
T-Bird
Regular User

well Jeremy said the same thing on Top Gear he said if you push it too far it will turn around and bite you in the ass so to speak. I'm sure that's what they mean cause i would drive an SLR and even an Enzo every fuckin day even in the rain not the snow cause that would be suicide in Chicago winters.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 05:20 AM   #3
TT
Regular User

I didn't read the artcle and no idea what their basic point for the test was, but well, probably if you would put a CGT into everyday's world and pin it against wonderull and "easy" allrounder like Audi RS6 or such, it could end up like that, but in that case they missed totally the point about the CGT...
Old 06-03-2004, 08:59 AM   #4
st-anger
Regular User

....well, the real problem is: it IS useable as a daily driver, so i can´t see their point...
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 09:33 AM   #5
yg60m
Regular User

What they did was to travel 873 miles in only two days in the Carrera GT !!
Be serious, even after half that travel in a Rolls i would be tired

If a daily drive is a car that can make you feel nice and fresh after 437 miles everyday then there musn't be a lot of daily drives
Old 06-03-2004, 11:06 AM   #6
schnell318
Regular User

I don´t think that was a real world test cause no one is going to travel that distance in such a short period of time... of course they would have been less tired if they had used another car but that doesn´t say the CGT isn´t useable as a daily driver.
schnell318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 05:57 PM   #7
Apac102
Regular User

I just found it to be a bad article on a great car
Apac102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 09:17 PM   #8
s4racer
Regular User

I'd really like to drive the GT, a car with such a little clutch, and practically no flywheel mass. must be a great track day car.

driving the single seat race car that i built, the car uses a motorcycle engine geared for insane acceleration, and you can't launch slowly in that car, the clutch is either engaged or open, there's no slipping of the clutch to modulate the launch. tried driving behind a chase car at a constant slow speed, and lot's of stops, it's near impossible to do without stalling, and lurching followed by hard braking.

i wonder if the GT is similar in stop-go traffic with it's racing clutch, and really light fly wheel assembly? i just want to drive one.
s4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 01:12 AM   #9
nthfinity
Regular User

in the Road and Track article about 1000 miles in an Enzo... there was little other then praise of the car... but, i suppose the Enzo is a more compy ride lol. id cirtainly love to be able to use such cars everyday 8) :shock:
Old 06-09-2004, 01:20 AM   #10
3D_CARD
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
in the Road and Track article about 1000 miles in an Enzo... there was little other then praise of the car... but, i suppose the Enzo is a more compy ride lol. id cirtainly love to be able to use such cars everyday 8) :shock:
Well... Enzo has TC/F1 Gearbox/Adjustable Supsension Height, and Ferrari designed it for 40-60 years old "major" customers -- no matter why it can be a good daily/long distance drive.
Old 06-20-2004, 04:36 PM   #11
RC45
Regular User

Daily driver for some is not "daily driver" from the factories perspective.

Many of these cars will break down after repeated exposure to extreme traffic conditions.

By extreme traffic conditions, I mean bumper to bumper 110 degree heat, stop and go for 30 or 40 miles, with the car never reaching more than 25 miles per hour - and idling for a long time.

Many "sever duty" purpose built cars, such as taxius, police cars and limosines even have to have foreshortened maintenance periods to change over worked oil, filters and coolant fluids etc.

Ironically, hours of grid-lock traffic is sometimes harder on a car than "track driving and racing" - as before, during and after a race event, the car will be pampered with no-costs spared continued maintenance - while "daily drivers" tend to be used and abused and drivers simply jump in and go.

With this in mind - very few, if any true supercars could stand up to this kind of automotive abuse without suffering greatly.

And of course - these cars are not made for this - and it would be rare that such a car owner did not have a fleet of luxo-sedans for daily duty...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 11:39 PM   #12
chipanggo
Regular User

hahaha.

who would want to use a supercar for a daily driver?
chipanggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 08:59 AM   #13
Schwalbe

Me.
Schwalbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 12:00 PM   #14
rachaderua

Carrera GT is not a dailly car for going to the supermarket, school, college. It was made to the race track or a good highway, not for a garage or parking lots. Of course you can drive it clearly in the streets, but the proper place to it is a good closed circuit.

Some magazine journalists are sometimes as stupid as their articles.

"My paradise is not a warm beach, but an empty racetrack."
rachaderua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 08:55 PM   #15
black_magician
Regular User

Originally Posted by chipanggo
hahaha.

ME 2!
black_magician is offline   Reply With Quote