Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Porsche

Porsche Porsche - the finest German Cars

Old 08-21-2004, 03:38 PM   #16
crayzayjay
Regular User

I read the article, and quite frankly it's because of articles like that that i only buy 1-2 copies of CAR magazine a year whereas i dont miss a copy of Evo. The guy said the CGT was loud and had stiff suspension. For fucks sake, what the hell is wrong with these people? Then again, he looks like a truck driver (fatass) so i dont know what he's doing testing supercars

Some people become so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich i want to be.
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 06:37 AM   #17
mindgam3
Regular User

Wasn't the reason they decieded it wasn't a good daily driver was basically down to the clutch? I seem to remember it was. I think there's been a lot of complaints about the clutch when setting off from standstill but I think you'd probably get used to it after a while. I'm sure it would be ok as a daily driver as far as supercars go
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 08:10 AM   #18
crayzayjay
Regular User

He had a go at the clutch too. But his main complaints were thinly padded seats, loud cabin noise and a hard ride. I mean, come on...

In a way, i agree with you that the CGT is more usable than say, an F40. But it's still far from an ideal everyday car, imo. Also, where would you be able to park it without fearing for someone damaging it?

Some people become so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich i want to be.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:07 AM   #19
mindgam3
Regular User

Originally Posted by crayzayjay
He had a go at the clutch too. But his main complaints were thinly padded seats, loud cabin noise and a hard ride. I mean, come on...
ah sorry, i was going from memory. But how do you expect performance like the CGT has without hvaing lightweight (and therefore thinnly padded) and firm suspension?? As for loud cabin noise... i'm not sure whether he was referring to air, tyre or engine, but if its engine noise he needs to be shot
Old 08-22-2004, 10:41 AM   #20
mindgam3
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
The first time I drove a car with a racing clutch (that -I suppose- is the same than the CGT), I need five tries just to start rolling the car from stop. So you can imagine... BTW, if you want a everyday-car... why not a Cayenne Turbo???
hehe exactly, I don't know why they even bother saying whether you can use high end supercars everyday or not because 99% of them will never be used everyday and even if they are, its a supercar, practicality wont be a factor for almost all buyers
Old 08-22-2004, 08:33 PM   #21
crayzayjay
Regular User

Originally Posted by mindgam3
Originally Posted by crayzayjay
ah sorry, i was going from memory. But how do you expect performance like the CGT has without hvaing lightweight (and therefore thinnly padded) and firm suspension?? As for loud cabin noise... i'm not sure whether he was referring to air, tyre or engine, but if its engine noise he needs to be shot
How does he expect all these things? Simple, the man is a retard

Dont believe me? Here's some conclusive evidence:

- the twat has a go at the CGT's ground clearance
- he says he would prefer a paddleshift box
- he says it has a 'competent chassis', as if he pushed it to the limit let alone was capable of handling 50% of the car's power.

I dont understand how this guy can be an automotive journalist let alone one entrusted with driving a car such as the CGT. Hell, i'd do it, and do it for free!

I'll try to scan the article and post it up, depends on whether i can do it at work without anyone really catching on
Old 08-22-2004, 11:51 PM   #22
FoxFour
Regular User

That clutch is so small and compact, that when they designed it they put a patent on it. Could you imagine stop and go driving with that thing? I wish I could!
Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 05:37 AM   #23
crayzayjay
Regular User

Looks like i don't need to scan it

http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10830

Old 09-01-2004, 12:39 AM   #24
zmydust823
Regular User

all porsches are everyday drivers, thats what seperates them from lambos and ferraris...and they still kick ass next to them...
Old 09-01-2004, 03:56 AM   #25
Regie
Regular User

He did compliment the steering for being extremely accurate & said that the car was very composed at high speeds. The engine, traction control systems, and the chassis.

He criticised (the clearance or lack of) and complained that it made climbing even minute kerbs a problem, the aluminum bit on the dashboard which caused distracting reflections and also didn't feel the interior was much. All features which are needed to be easy to use for a car to be considered a daily driver. He also felt the sat nav was difficult to use. The clutch copped some bad comments, but from what I've read by other journos, it is true.

The scariest , comment was how the rotors were crap (due to it being wet) and stopping the car from high speeds on the autobahn was difficult. I've heard this many times about carbon/ceramic brakes.

Originally Posted by s4racer
I'd really like to drive the GT, a car with such a little clutch, and practically no flywheel mass. must be a great track day car.

driving the single seat race car that i built, the car uses a motorcycle engine geared for insane acceleration, and you can't launch slowly in that car, the clutch is either engaged or open, there's no slipping of the clutch to modulate the launch. tried driving behind a chase car at a constant slow speed, and lot's of stops, it's near impossible to do without stalling, and lurching followed by hard braking.

i wonder if the GT is similar in stop-go traffic with it's racing clutch, and really light fly wheel assembly? i just want to drive one.
What sort of vehicle do you have, s4racer? Something similar to the Westfield 'busa or blackbird engined?

Originally Posted by RC45
With this in mind - very few, if any true supercars could stand up to this kind of automotive abuse without suffering greatly.

And of course - these cars are not made for this - and it would be rare that such a car owner did not have a fleet of luxo-sedans for daily duty...
Very true, it is hard to find a car (probably impossible) that is both at home on the track and on public roads. The journo mentioned that Germany's high speed highways were probably one of the few places in the world where the car can be 'unleashed', somewhat. In traffic it would be horrible and a clutchless manual would be better.
Regie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 12:48 AM   #26
mclaren_Gt
Regular User

lol