Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 01-31-2005, 11:57 PM   #16
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Dude Im not even talking about increasing power by adding a supper charger. 220 is plenty enough for that chassy.....it would loose all balance and would have shitty traction unless you have a feather for your right foot.

Adding more power would mean reinforcing the chassis etc...especialy on an atom...look at it its made up of a few tubes...

Most machines of this class, are designed with everything in mind...if these guys felt like it would benifit from more power they would make more power...its already not a cheap car and its supposed to be the ultimate track weapon so they would do whatever it takes to make it the fastest.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 12:04 AM   #17
DeMoN
Regular User

Yep Ariel Atom is a cool thing. It would be loads of fun to drive that baby. Thats why I put it as one of my top 10 cars in the other thread.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:23 AM   #18
findleybeast
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
Dude Im not even talking about increasing power by adding a supper charger. 220 is plenty enough for that chassy.....it would loose all balance and would have shitty traction unless you have a feather for your right foot.

Adding more power would mean reinforcing the chassis etc...especialy on an atom...look at it its made up of a few tubes...

Most machines of this class, are designed with everything in mind...if these guys felt like it would benifit from more power they would make more power...its already not a cheap car and its supposed to be the ultimate track weapon so they would do whatever it takes to make it the fastest.
btw the one JC tested on Top Gear was one with a supercharger and 300bhp, just fyi.

As for the chassis, I don't think it would have any problem at all putting more power down. As it was in Top Gear it didn't seem to have much wheelspin at all even off the line, and around the track it had near no oversteer. It was actually more planted and neutral than any of the other supercars, and that hints that it would be able to control more power.

And of course they take everything into consideration. They also consider price. Doing loads of tuning would up the already fairly substantial price, plus it might (MIGHT) upset their partnership with Honda as the engines would become less and less Honda.

Anyway, I'm not saying it needs any of that. It is a hell of a weapon as it is. But I'm just offering the idea of what it could be if more money was thrown into it and it put out more power. Sure it might take away some of the purity and fun of it... but damn it already has 600bhp per tonne, imagine the performance if that ratio was further increased...

Xbox Live Gamertag: TheSlusbe
findleybeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 01:25 AM   #19
ikon2003
Regular User

^I'm down w/ findleybeast. I def would try and tune that thing some more - stateside, those vtech engines have been tuned so much, there's a huge aftermarket for that. the dark side of 400bhp is definitely possible. Traction control and some stiffening might need to be tweaked, but from the looks of the vid, it was very well sorted w/ the 300bhp.
ikon2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 03:38 AM   #20
DMbaseball1604
Regular User

Originally Posted by mindgam3
Originally Posted by 23790554
isn't that an open wheeler? some track days won't let u have open wheelers
All UK tracks will

Great for a sunday blast just as much as a caterham, great car
I bet it is..Ive never been to the UK but, it would seem like you would want a closed wheel car period b/c of the weather there..I mean from what I've heard...correct me if I'm wrong
DMbaseball1604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 06:06 AM   #21
mindgam3
Regular User

Originally Posted by DMbaseball1604
Originally Posted by mindgam3
Originally Posted by 23790554
isn't that an open wheeler? some track days won't let u have open wheelers
All UK tracks will

Great for a sunday blast just as much as a caterham, great car
I bet it is..Ive never been to the UK but, it would seem like you would want a closed wheel car period b/c of the weather there..I mean from what I've heard...correct me if I'm wrong
sorry but I think you are wrong

Considering the atom, caterham, westfield etc etc and most other open wheel, light weight cars are made in the UK.... many use them on track but more use them as their second car for on the road blasts at the weekend

Just because it isn't sunny all the time, doesen't mean the caterhams and atoms arent out there up and down the country roads
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 06:52 AM   #22
SPEEDCORE
Regular User

Id prefer a Radical SR3Turbo over an Atom. Great for a weekend/track car, but impractical for everyday use. Great performance wise/cost.... But if I could afford a Supercar, id buy a Supercar
SPEEDCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 10:47 AM   #23
mike_sayer
Regular User

findleybeast is right, the one on TG was the 300hp supercharged version and it looked fantastically balanced - the chassis was handling the power beautifully. JC made a good point - he liked being able to see all the components working, like the suspension, and i agree that it was pretty cool.

If i had 35 grand to spare, i'd have one without blinking.

mike_sayer is offline   Reply With Quote