Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Photography

Old 12-11-2005, 02:06 PM   #1
corvette97
Regular User

Default nOOb question regarding digital rebel XT

Next semester i'll be taking a digital photography course, i have a canon A75 Powershot 3.2 MP , but the cool thing about it is that has manual features, i cant say i master the cam but i do something...

i talked with a guy there and told me that for the first course the Powershot was OK, but for the 2nd and 3rd i would be needing something more pro.

My uncle hear about me taking the course, and the other day told me that he is going to give a camera as a present (he actually told me the price was not a problem ) so ive been searching and the best price/performer is the digital rebel XT (dont want to make him spend more than 1000 usd) , but i have a quick question, ive read that the XT has a 3X optical zoom, its that it? or optional lens give you a litle more

thanxs for the info
Old 12-11-2005, 03:20 PM   #2
nthfinity
Regular User

my 20D body+lens is the std. lense +body combo... the 18-55mm is a 3x zoom...

you have to remember, that you can buy multiple lenses... i dont recomend the sigma, or quantaray 100-300mm lens

it is far cheaper to buy the body alone, you may want to get something thats a 50-200mm lens or so... they have good zoom capabilities, while having a decent wide-angle ability.... also it would mean you may not have to change your lens as often... so you have less opertunity to let dust in it, or the CCD.

things you definately need...

CPL...if you only get one filter, thats the one to get
a tripod... perfect for high-zoom stability, and night shots
a 1gb compact flash card... if you can afford it, id recomend the highest speed card.
a decent flash is an eventual must... as the flash it comes with is only goof for about 6-8ft effectively.
a microfibre cloth for cleaning the lens
oh, a camera bag is a good idea too

also... its fewer MP..... but i hear great things about the Nikkon D70S' quality
Old 12-14-2005, 02:03 AM   #3
corvette97
Regular User

hey thanxs for the info nthfinity

very usable!
Old 12-14-2005, 07:14 AM   #4
mindgam3
Regular User

The powershot is a consumer camera, whilst the rebel XT is a professional dSLR.

The difference in definition between the two is that basically with the dSLR you can change lenses to your requirements.

In the real world, having a dSLR means a hell of a lot more - you will be manually able to adjust everything to a greater degree than a consumer camera nd it will be ALOT faster at everything it does.

If you are taking a photography course I would recommend getting two lenses to start with... maybe ask your uncle to buy one bundled with the camera and buy one yourself?

You will probably need a lense with soething around 15-60mm and one say 70-200/300mm, that will keep you going until you've mastered the XT
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:50 AM   #5
corvette97
Regular User

thnxs mindgam3, well.. still investigating prices and lens options to maybe get a 1500 price with 2 lenses and the body, already have a 1gb card
Old 12-15-2005, 02:14 AM   #6
ae86_16v
Regular User

Here in the US you could usually find the XT (350D) on sale around 600 to 650 w/ the starter lense. Most of the time that is even cheaper than just the body only.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 11:59 AM   #7
nthfinity
Regular User

Here in the US you could usually find the XT (350D) on sale around 600 to 650 w/ the starter lense. Most of the time that is even cheaper than just the body only.
never have i seen the combo kit ever cheaper then the body alone

oh, and corvette97, the local shop has the lens on order, and they dont expect it to arrive for some weeks yet, sorry i couldn't test if for you.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:49 AM   #8
corvette97
Regular User

oh, thanxs for the effort Nthfinity , maybe in a near future you will be able to test them and give a litle review

thanxs sorry for the slow reply wast here in my country the entire weekend