Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 04-15-2005, 01:52 AM   #16
findleybeast
Regular User

nobody denied that there are better companies. Meridian, Krell, McIntosh, B&W, Thiel, Wilson, Audio Research, Avalon... there are many. B&O is still a hell of a company tho, and makes some really awesome stuff.

Xbox Live Gamertag: TheSlusbe
findleybeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 11:23 AM   #17
ikon2003
Regular User

^ Please put me down for "Ditto."

One addition tho: those other smaller, less known companies get a little more respect in my book. Just cuz I like the underdog perhaps, or that if i own a more rare piece of art/music/high tech equipment...it makes me value it more. That's just my opinion tho. It's a moot point, and strong arguments can be made for either side.
ikon2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 05:35 AM   #18
abbor
Regular User

I think it's smooth, elegant and good sounding...

But it's also very expensive, so I can't afford it..
abbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 06:54 AM   #19
bultaco_metralla
Regular User

B&O its good but i prefer INFINITY !!
Old 04-16-2005, 07:52 AM   #20
possessed_beaver
Regular User

i heard that B&O plasma are just basicley fijitsu plasma's with B&O branding and price tag..
possessed_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 10:48 AM   #21
gtx28
Regular User

Just out of curiousity who has the best stuff for sound quality forget about asthetics and price. What sounds the best. Ive heard very good things about linn, and harmon kardon. Jazz and Classical music seem to cover the widest spectrum of sound. Ive heard several musicians toting the bose sound wave stuff. Any input would be great
gtx28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 10:54 AM   #22
sikx5
Regular User

I have a pair of Bang & Oulfsen ear phones, i cant get over the sound quality and clarity. They are worh the high price tag, the sound really needs to be heard to be fully appreciated, its excellent stuff. They are coming on three years old, still current model and shape, they havent changed it...its great.
Old 04-16-2005, 05:33 PM   #23
ikon2003
Regular User

GTX28 - look at Findleybeast's list before. Any of those will produce superlative SQ - 99+% of humans will never be able to tell the acoustic differences between those companies.

Speakers will (more than likely) never be able to 100% reproduce sound that matches the acoustic wave patterns of things in real life - this is inherent in all current speakers, as they change an electrical signal to acoustic energy. Somewhere during that conversion of energy, there will be a loss of energy to heat, and some distortion. Good speaker companies (like those all listed before, and in the mobile audio world some of these companies: Focal, CDT, DLS and Morel) will reproduce sound that is so close to the original reproduction, the vast majority of humans will never be able to tell a difference.

In the end, for true audiophiles that can really pick out sonic details, the choice will come down to personal preference - NOT which company is the "best." Perhaps one day in the future with some crazy techology there will be perfect replication of sound, but as it stands now, the best you can do is judged not by the company you buy, or how much money is in your wallet....it's all about how well your ears can listen.;
ikon2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 10:30 PM   #24
CSedl87
Regular User

Originally Posted by gtx28
Just out of curiousity who has the best stuff for sound quality forget about asthetics and price. What sounds the best. Ive heard very good things about linn, and harmon kardon. Jazz and Classical music seem to cover the widest spectrum of sound. Ive heard several musicians toting the bose sound wave stuff. Any input would be great
If you want the best, no price too high, go for an all Linn system. Each speaker gets 3 amps (bass, mids, and highs). I beleive you can even run 4-6 amps per speaker if I remember correctly. Anyways, we've tested B&O, Harmon Kardon, etc. with the same exact CDs, and DVDs and Linn by far had the most clear sound (in stereo, as surround CDs, and audio DVD's loose alot unless they're channeled into 5.1 or higher). There was one cd I remember that had the 1812 overture on it and it had fireworks and bells as part of the song. In stereo, we could hear the fireworks explode in different spots, front back, left, and right of us. It was full 3d sound in stereo! Also there was another cd of Frank Sinatra and the rat pack. We could hear the chord slides on a Jazz chello, and the recording was about 50 years old. The sound on the Linn is amazing, if you get the chance to listen to it, go do it, it's an experience of it's own.
"At a given day and a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit, and you touch the limit, and you think 'okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens in you so that you can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and your experience as well, you can fly very high" - Ayrton Senna
CSedl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 12:42 PM   #25
mindgam3
Regular User

Indeed, if you want the ultimate, go with linn. B&O are damn good but have become more fashionable to buy for the name rather than the outright sound performance
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 12:47 PM   #26
SFDMALEX
Regular User

For speakers its JAMO.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 01:00 PM   #27
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by CSedl87
If you want the best, no price too high, go for an all Linn system. Each speaker gets 3 amps (bass, mids, and highs). I beleive you can even run 4-6 amps per speaker if I remember correctly. Anyways, we've tested B&O, Harmon Kardon, etc. with the same exact CDs, and DVDs and Linn by far had the most clear sound (in stereo, as surround CDs, and audio DVD's loose alot unless they're channeled into 5.1 or higher). There was one cd I remember that had the 1812 overture on it and it had fireworks and bells as part of the song. In stereo, we could hear the fireworks explode in different spots, front back, left, and right of us. It was full 3d sound in stereo! Also there was another cd of Frank Sinatra and the rat pack. We could hear the chord slides on a Jazz chello, and the recording was about 50 years old. The sound on the Linn is amazing, if you get the chance to listen to it, go do it, it's an experience of it's own.
What a load of shit

3 seperate amps? Thats the funiest thing I have ever heard. I guess its the fad for rich idiots who just go for the price tag.

Since when is music supposed to be surround? when a band performs you are in front of them, they do not surround you. So when people talk about music and surround sound it just show that they are morons.

Full 3d sound in Stereo? What the fuck is that? You mean 2 monitors and a delay surround emulation? All you can get from two monitors is cheap emulation of actuall 3d sound, they do it by simple delays, you can never feel as if something is in behind you when the speaker is in front of you.

If you want the best sound from the good old CD(not dvd audio or SACD) then get your self a CD player build around the TDA1541 DAC, find your self one of those home made english transistor amps(none of that tube shit, another fad for wannabe audiophiles) and some JAMOs.

If anybody is serious about superior audio quality you can not just go out and buy the stuff from the catalog. You have to listen to hundres of different amps and speakers to find the best stuff.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:09 PM   #28
mindgam3
Regular User

Well "best" is a matter of opinion... when you've got enough money it's down to personal choice which one is "better" and which one sounds "best" for you.

Different companies generally have a trademark sort of sound but yeah, if you really want the best for you, you've got to try hundreds of combos in the same or similar settings to where your system will be
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 04:30 PM   #29
CSedl87
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
What a load of shit

3 seperate amps? Thats the funiest thing I have ever heard. I guess its the fad for rich idiots who just go for the price tag.

Since when is music supposed to be surround? when a band performs you are in front of them, they do not surround you. So when people talk about music and surround sound it just show that they are morons.

Full 3d sound in Stereo? What the fuck is that? You mean 2 monitors and a delay surround emulation? All you can get from two monitors is cheap emulation of actuall 3d sound, they do it by simple delays, you can never feel as if something is in behind you when the speaker is in front of you.

If you want the best sound from the good old CD(not dvd audio or SACD) then get your self a CD player build around the TDA1541 DAC, find your self one of those home made english transistor amps(none of that tube shit, another fad for wannabe audiophiles) and some JAMOs.

If anybody is serious about superior audio quality you can not just go out and buy the stuff from the catalog. You have to listen to hundres of different amps and speakers to find the best stuff.
No we didn't go for the price tag. There are by far more expensive audio equipment that what we've got. First off you must not know much about audio. Our front speakers have five cones (we're running 1 amp to each cones), and our rears have 3 cones (so a total of 3 amps to each whole speaker). If you want a pic of all of our amps I'll be more than happy to post a picture if you don't believe me. The fact that you just mention a cd player, an amp, and a couple speakers tells me that you yourself are not an audiophile. The wires play a large role, just as large as the speakers, cd player, and amps. We have the wires matched to the frequency of each cone, so there is very close to no unwanted frequencys in each cone. DVD audio can be better than CD audio, but you have to find an album where it has been made for DVD audio, thats why it hasn't truly been accepted yet b/c 95% of the albums on the DVDs were just remastered. As for the sounds around you, yes it is possible on just stereo. The Linn system gives depth to it's music, compared to otheres where it's just that, stereo, a monoplane of music.
"At a given day and a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit, and you touch the limit, and you think 'okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens in you so that you can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and your experience as well, you can fly very high" - Ayrton Senna
CSedl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 06:17 PM   #30
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
What a load of shit

No we didn't go for the price tag. There are by far more expensive audio equipment that what we've got. First off you must not know much about audio. Our front speakers have five cones (we're running 1 amp to each cones), and our rears have 3 cones (so a total of 3 amps to each whole speaker). If you want a pic of all of our amps I'll be more than happy to post a picture if you don't believe me. The fact that you just mention a cd player, an amp, and a couple speakers tells me that you yourself are not an audiophile. The wires play a large role, just as large as the speakers, cd player, and amps. We have the wires matched to the frequency of each cone, so there is very close to no unwanted frequencys in each cone. DVD audio can be better than CD audio, but you have to find an album where it has been made for DVD audio, thats why it hasn't truly been accepted yet b/c 95% of the albums on the DVDs were just remastered. As for the sounds around you, yes it is possible on just stereo. The Linn system gives depth to it's music, compared to otheres where it's just that, stereo, a monoplane of music.
Ok there Mr "Audiophile" enjoy your setup. Your multy amp setup is some real audiophile sheet. First time I hear of an "audiophile" running a surrond setup for music.

Laugh out fucking loud! Wires play as big a role as speakers...... :roll:

You have wires running to the frequency of each cone AHAHAHAHAHAHAH

And WTF is that for my friend? They make some special 15-100hz, 100-500hz wires now? AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAH Its called a friggin crossover................

What are your amps frequency depended aswel? So you have a woofer amp, a high frequncy amp?.................lol

Your hillarious. And no I dont need no pictures, Ive heard enough.

And you have to learn to read too.

DVD Audio is better then a normal audio CD because it allows 3x the sampling rate and higher dynamic range.

Oh and as for sounds around you, read my posts again.

Thanks for making my day, I had quite a laugh.