Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 05-16-2004, 11:20 AM   #16
corvette97
Regular User

FUCK hennessey LINGENFELTER rules!!
Old 05-16-2004, 02:05 PM   #17
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by everso
any numbnut can put huge engines in cars to make them roll in a fast line....doesn't take much ingenuity.

to make it go around a track circuit fast takes alot more imagination. (i.e: a fast car that can handle)
And of course you believe that anything with a "big engine" obviously can't handle... :roll:
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 02:51 PM   #18
corvette97
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by everso
any numbnut can put huge engines in cars to make them roll in a fast line....doesn't take much ingenuity.

to make it go around a track circuit fast takes alot more imagination. (i.e: a fast car that can handle)
And of course you believe that anything with a "big engine" obviously can't handle... :roll:
a corvette can handle and it has a big engine, right RC45?
Old 05-16-2004, 03:11 PM   #19
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
There is no such thing as "too much power"...
Agreed.

All you do with 1000bhp is drive it in 6th gear simple as that.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 03:46 PM   #20
bobafett
Regular User

Ok, a few things;

1) Having lots of power doesn't mean it's uncontrollable. You gear things properly. Makes a big difference. Think about it. And if you're anyone but hennessey, you actually engineer things to work.

2) Big motors do not mean bad handling. I have seen Vipers kick the CRAP out of guys running IMSA cars. Just look at guys like Paul Mumford (RIP). If you look at track junkies, wheel to wheel racers, OTC, One-Lap, etc. (none of that pansy gay gumball crap - I mean real driving) - SURPRISE! Lots of Vipers and Corvettes.

I'm not afraid to say it, a Z06 will take my car in the twisties... I don't have course laptimes ('ring, nordschleiffe (sp), etc.) - but I wouldn't be surprised if it's on-par or just behind or even just ahead depending on the track. Oh, and before anyone says mine's a lard-cake too, look at times for a 360 (everyone agrees a well-handling car) vs. a 550 and then come back crying.

Grow up.

--Dan
Old 05-16-2004, 04:17 PM   #21
bobafett
Regular User

The Veyron has been delayed yet ANOTHER 16 months. They are now saying end of 06. The problem with the Veyron is a) their interior is having big Quality Control issues; and b) they can't achieve the claimed power and speeds. They revised their top speed number down to 350km/h from 400 (massive instability + inability to get that high), and now they can't even get someone to sew some suede???

--Dan
Old 05-16-2004, 04:48 PM   #22
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by bobafett
I'm not afraid to say it, a Z06 will take my car in the twisties... I don't have course laptimes ('ring, nordschleiffe (sp), etc.) - but I wouldn't be surprised if it's on-par or just behind or even just ahead depending on the track. Oh, and before anyone says mine's a lard-cake too, look at times for a 360 (everyone agrees a well-handling car) vs. a 550 and then come back crying.

--Dan
What about straight line? 550s are mad when on full throttle from what I have seen and read.

As for the twisties does your 550 have the Fiorano pack?
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 04:57 PM   #23
TT
Regular User

Just for the records, thanks to http://www.track-challenge.com/ here is a little comparison between the 550 Maranello and a Vette Commemorative edition:

Usual data + Ring and Hockenheim laps times

As for straight line acceleration, top speed and so on, the 550 is way faster than a stock vette

But also in the twisties, it's not easy for the Vette to fight back Same time basically at the shorter Hockeheim and the 500 way ahead at the ring
Old 05-16-2004, 04:58 PM   #24
bobafett
Regular User

Who knows, I've never had fun with a Z06 side by side. Only comparing my driving experiences in the two. No doubt, the 550 is no slouch.

As for fiorano: 1) Even ferrari experts can't pin down what *exactly* came in the FHP for the 550, esp. since they changed it up. 2) There are extremely few FHP equipped 550s in North America. I haven't bothered to try to find and retrofit the parts. I might do a few things for a hill climb event I am planning on attending, but nothing dramatic.

--Dan
Old 05-16-2004, 04:58 PM   #25
TT
Regular User

Hehe, read above for some cold numbers
Old 05-16-2004, 05:00 PM   #26
bobafett
Regular User

Hey, TT, that is a great find! I'll have to check that site out in some depth... grazie!

--Dan

PS: how're you doing?
Old 05-16-2004, 05:04 PM   #27
TT
Regular User

Prego dude and yes that website may not have 2000 cars tested, but the tests are WELL done

And I'm very fine thanks hoping it's the same for you on the other side of the pond
Old 05-16-2004, 05:08 PM   #28
bobafett
Regular User

Yeah, things are alright here for now. I have been meaning to hook you up with our friend, however I just got totally sidetracked. Apologies. I'll work on it tonight!

--Dan
Old 05-16-2004, 05:13 PM   #29
TT
Regular User

Hehe, in the meanwhile I'm all of a sudden in good relationship with a lad that works at the local Ferrari dealership, so basically I have a wild card and can enter it to smell somme Ferrari when I need it -> http://www.motorworld.net/forum/show...=158021#158021
Old 05-16-2004, 05:23 PM   #30
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
Just for the records, thanks to http://www.track-challenge.com/ here is a little comparison between the 550 Maranello and a Vette Commemorative edition:

Usual data + Ring and Hockenheim laps times

As for straight line acceleration, top speed and so on, the 550 is way faster than a stock vette

But also in the twisties, it's not easy for the Vette to fight back Same time basically at the shorter Hockeheim and the 500 way ahead at the ring
Just so the record is straight - the Europeean Comm. Edition is a Z51 Coupe.. - not the Z06..

In that respect I would dearly hope that the 550 would give the Coupe a good stick-beating.

The Coupe is not only heavier, less powerful, higher geared and "narrower" tyred than the Z06 - it iis also less sportier suspended than the Z... which does the 'Ring in 7'56" . I just wanted to be sure we had our "numbers" correct.

The 550 is probably the best Ferrari"bang for the buck" currently on the market.

Many folks just don't seem to appreciate the front v12 layout enough - and as such, used 550 carry very attractive price tags at the moment.

I would love to have a 550 to share the stable with the Z... LOL
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote