Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

View Poll Results: WRX or GTI
GTI 6 25.00%
WRX 18 75.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2006, 11:29 AM   #16
TransAm
Regular User

The only thing I would add is that 260hp in a FWD car you might struggle to put a lot of that power down off the line. In my experience (Saab 93) you really have to wait til 50mph plus to go Wide Open Throttle without spinning.

After the Saab, I dont think I am in a hurry to go back to FWD, although I wouldnt discount it completely. The Saab 93 does not have the best FWD chassis setup however.

I think I would pick the WRX out of the two, but if you had said Golf R32 then I would have chosen the VW.

As Arman said, some of us haven't even driven the cars and you are best to test them both and then make your own decision. I drove an 03 WRX a while ago, I remember it to be a bit laggy, but a quick car. Not driven the new Golf, although everything I read about it sounds good.

DSG might swing it for me, even if FWD, if your traffic is very stop-start though.

Above all, enjoy the shopping experience. I love it!

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 07:45 PM   #17
ARMAN
Regular User

Can you please post those "crappy cellphone pics"?

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:45 PM   #18
jakaracman
Regular User

Voted for GTI. As WRX does not have a proper AWD like STI (with more torque going to rear and smarter diffs) and it only has 5 gears and its driving caractersitics are less than sporty and of course, interior looks like shit (it does in STI too, but in STI who cares) - Golf is the logical choice. Especially in heavy traffic (DSGG vs manual with stiff clutch) ...
Old 02-10-2006, 07:35 PM   #19
gobs3z
Regular User

I've driven an 04 wrx wagon, and in any bad weather conditions it's just a blast to drive since the rear end will come out if you give a little too much gas, it makes it a blast to drive. Now if you were more of a highway driver, or tend to find more interest in having a blast on the highway than i would tell you to get the GTI in a second since it's a lot more stable, and i feel the wrx is very twitchy on the highway. But than i would say if you want the best of both worlds than get a used R32 if your dad would let you, some still go for 30k but you'll find them in the low 20k's. I wouldn't buy an STI based on the fact that Suburu dealerships around here won't let you test drive them, little bastards. Oh and the new wrx interior is actually very nice, and they came out with the version that has very nice leather heated seats. It adds weight, but you may feel better on your decision having leathers in the wrx. Good luck, i voted WRX since you didn't mention highway miles, but please......look into the R32 if you can. It has a nicer interior than the new GTI, you can tell by how the knobs feel and it holds together very well.

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow
gobs3z is offline   Reply With Quote