Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > What You Saw Today

What You Saw Today Got a camera or camcorder ?? Why not put it to good use and show us what you have captured with it today !!!

Old 09-04-2006, 02:45 AM   #1
RC45
Regular User

Default An AWD CTR "Yellowbird" - 1 of 2

A close look at one of the greatest Porsche-based cars ever to turn a wheel in anger any where at any time.

These images should keep you entertained till the "Showcase" is complete.

And here is a little writeup about this cars twin, to keep the naysayers at bay.. - you know - the folks that think I am full of shit...

http://www.race-cars.com/carsold/por...55179148ss.htm
1990 Porsche RUF YellowBird CTR C4

Serial Number: WPOAB 2961LS451416
Condition: Excellent
Price: US $189,500 OBO Currency_Convert

Description
The Ruf 'YellowBird' CTR, with Phil Hill driving, was declared 'THE FASTEST CAR IN THE WORLD' by Road & Track Magazine. AWESOME, with 550hp and Twin Turbos,- this agressive 200+mph - Zero to 60 in 2.8 seconds, ALL-WHEEL-DRIVE, Ruf Rocket "YellowBird" CTR was built, from the platform up, by RUF GmbH in Pfaffenhassen, Germany in 1993, approximately 3,000 miles ago, at the the whopping cost of $ 285,780.00. Formerly David Beddor owned/Steve Beddor driven - the Beddors made worldwide news with their sure footed All Wheel Drive YellowBirds in Road & Track / Car and Driver and on ESPN news. It's in Show Condition and has been maintained by Ruf experts all of its life with no expenses spared. This is not just a patchwork of installed Ruf parts (as many claimed Rufs are). This Ruf Rocket was built by Ruf from the bodypan up - as a genuine 'YellowBird' and sold by by Robert DeMars LTD for David Beddor & Mr. Ruf himself in 1997. One of the last CTR 1s made on the 964 platform - it's fully street driveable with a Kevlar lighweight body and Black lightweight interior (plus added Power Windows & Air Conditioning) and ideal for Autocross or other 'go to the head of the class' Racing. Just 23 'YellowBirds' were made, at immense cost, from 1987 to 1995, and this - the last, fastest, safest (and most expensive) model , is one of only two (2) AWD CTRs ever made. Kevlar Body/Lightweight Glass/Roll Cage/Recarros/Simson Harness/Fuel Cell/Ruf 6-Speed Transmission and 4 WHEEL DRIVE TO GET THE ENORMEOUS POWER TO THE GROUND. It will beat anything Ferrari / Lamborghini / McLaren can put up against it! A video is available for serious buyers.

History
Ruf is respected worldwide for performance and RELIABILITY. The 'YellowBird' CTR was brought forth just in time for Road & Track's 2nd running of the "World's Fastest Cars" tests with Phil Hill as one of the comparative test drivers. 3 years earlier, a Ruf BTR had won the 1st "World's Fastest Cars" test with a 183mph run. What Ruf had in store with the release of the CTR 'YellowBird' in 1987, would started a tradition of 200+mph automobiles that has only recently been legitimately challenged by the McLaren F1 (a $1 Million plus RaceCar). The first of the Blazingly fast Ruf CTRs quickly became known as the "Yellow Bird", a nickname given by Road & Track to reflect the original CTR RocketSleds bright yellow . Many cars were run that day, in 1987 -including a Lamborghini Countach, Ferrari Boxer, and a couple of Porsche 959s. By the end of the tests - it was obvious: The Ruf had absolutely no competition ! Even the ultimate Porsche 959 was beaten by over 13mph in top speed! The 'YellowBird' is now known throughout 911 circles as one of the most remarkable Porsche road cars ever made, with the 2 AWDs being the rarest and most highly refined. --------To SportsCar Collectors who know rarity and value, you might say - it's the L88 of Porsches !

Recent Competition History
As shown on ESPN, Steve Beddor driving his Black 'YellowBird' CTR (twin to the Polar White David Beddor CTR) appeared to have won "One Lap of America 1995" until he was heavily penalized for "being late" for showing up the Drag Racing event (he won that event too) but then was penalized as 'late' (a broken ignition switch had delayed his showing). Steve in his 'YellowBird' STILL won 8 of the "One Lap" events that year. Some wins by Steve and David in this White AWD CTR include 1st Virginia City Hillclimb 1995 David (time 3:24) /1st Virginia City Hill Climb 1992 ( Marilyn Beddor)/ Pikes Peak Hill Climb 1994 (3rd ) / The Silver State Classic (Marilyn) / Track Record, David at Brainerd International Raceway 1994 (217.7 sec) and many others. The Beddor Brothers today drive 2 Ruf ' YellowBird' AWD CTR2s built in 1997 on the 993 platform (with less horsepower, 530hp, but slightly lighter bodies). Watch for news !

Performance Data
Weight: 2900 lbs

Engine
Type: Ruf CTR Twin Turbo, Horizontally opposed 6 cylinder
Displacement: 3600cc
Horsepower: 550 Hp
Torque: 505
Induction: Twin KKK turbochargers, twin wastegates and intercoolers
Heads: SOHC aluminum heads
Block: SOHC aluminum block
Pistons: 8.0:1
Bore and stroke: 3.94

Fuel System
Fuel Cell
Manufacturer: Huntington Systems
Electrical System
Ignition: Bosch ignition

Transmission
Type: Ruf developed 6 Spd w/HiPerformance clutch

Rear End
Type: 4WD system by Ruf (not just Porsche)

Body
Construction: Lightweight Kevlar body panels/lightweight glass, Ruf flares
Color: Polar White paint
Condition: VG condition
Hi Performance Whale Tail

Chassis
Type: Ruf-designed and -manufactured components Integrated roll cage (IRC) linking A- and B-pillars
Front Suspension: MacPherson struts, Ruf-calibrated coil springs and dampers, anti-roll bar;
Rear Suspension: Multilink, Ruf-calibrated coil springs and dampers, anti-roll bar
Shocks: tbd
Brakes: 4 wheel disc by Ruf
Steering: developed by Ruf
Wheels: Ruf 18

Interior
Color/Finish: full lightweight interior w/lightweight panels and carpeting
Material: power windows
Restraints: dual Recarro Race seats w/Simpson 5 point racing seat belts

Spares
complete Ruf Catalytic Converter (bolt on type for street driving)
And a bit about this car - from 2004
http://autojunkie.blogspot.com/2004/02/damn.html
Tuesday, February 03, 2004

Damn.. if only $60K was burning a whole in my pocket.

RUF at Barrett Jackson

"1990 PORSCHE RUF `YELLOWBIRD' CTR COUPE
LOT #724 - NO RESERVE

2004 BJCCA CCA
SOLD FOR $59,400

OPTIONS
COLOR - BLACK
TRANS - 6-SPEED
CYLINDERS - 6
VIN - WP0AB2966LS450200

The original Steve Beddor AWD Street & Track AutoCross `YellowBird'. Alosis Rufs calls it his "Racecar" ! The original RUF `YellowBird' CTR was declared "the fastest Sportscar in the world" by Road & Track magazine. This 550hp, Twin-Turbo Steve Beddor, Ruf Rocket was the final culmination of the Series 1 CTR development. Awesome 200mph+, 0 to 60 in 2.8 seconds. The lightweight, Aluminum/Kevlar bodied ShowCar, flown to Germany and was completely rebuilt from the platform (tub) in 1992-93 from his 1990 US 'Carrera 4' at a development cost of over $316K. With approximately 3,500 miles since RUF build - it is #1 of only 2 Ruf, All Wheel Drive, "YellowBirds". The Twin-Turbo, Ruf 6-Speed, Ruf Brakes/Suspension, Adjustable Turbo Boost & AWD Terror was developed for AutoCross/Street driveable. Equipped with a Rollcage, Lightweight Interior, Recarro race buckets & racing Harness."
Yikes!!

And the Barret Jackson link - with images:
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/aucti....asp?id=175174
original Steve Beddor AWD Street & Track AutoCross `YellowBird'. Alosis Rufs calls it his "Racecar" ! The original RUF `YellowBird' CTR was declared "the fastest Sportscar in the world" by Road & Track magazine. This 550hp, Twin-Turbo Steve Beddor, Ruf Rocket was the final culmination of the Series 1 CTR development. Awesome 200mph+, 0 to 60 in 2.8 seconds. The lightweight, Aluminum/Kevlar bodied ShowCar, flown to Germany and was completely rebuilt from the platform (tub) in 1992-93 from his 1990 US 'Carrera 4' at a development cost of over $316K. With approximately 3,500 miles since RUF build - it is #1 of only 2 Ruf, All Wheel Drive, "YellowBirds". The Twin-Turbo, Ruf 6-Speed, Ruf Brakes/Suspension, Adjustable Turbo Boost & AWD Terror was developed for AutoCross/Street driveable. Equipped with a Rollcage, Lightweight Interior, Recarro race buckets & racing Harness.
Oh - and these 2 cars are what the Brothers Beddor replaced their unique 1990 964 AWD CTR Yellowbirds with - just as unique 993 based CTR2's

And now the JW specific WYST images

[img][/img]
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:56 AM   #2
blackenzo
Regular User

thats a 964 model so how can it be a yellowbird
blackenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:57 AM   #3
r2r
Regular User

I actually like the look of this Porsche considering I'm not a fan of the 911 shape.

One thing though, I really hate those big RUF stickers (or I hope they’re stickers) on both sides of the car.

Pretty cool stuff, hope there a video of it driving
r2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:59 AM   #4
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by r2r
I actually like the look of this Porsche considering I'm not a fan of the 911 shape.

One thing though, I really hate those big RUF stickers (or I hope they’re stickers) on both sides of the car.

Pretty cool stuff, hope there a video of it driving
The stickers were applied by the first owner (and his brother to his car - the one had this black car, the other an identical white one ) and this is how both cars were entered into various race events.

Originally Posted by blackenzo
thats a 964 model so how can it be a yellowbird
You don't believe me then?

Willing to bet $10,000 on the answer?

And you obviously havent been following the other threads about this car in the Porsche forum have you?

BTW, what year is your dads 964 Turbo? You know there was a 964 Turbo... and a 965?
Old 09-04-2006, 03:17 AM   #5
nickthaskater

Dude, it was a simple question... How about just giving him an answer instead of getting bitchfesty?
Old 09-04-2006, 03:25 AM   #6
r2r
Regular User

Just found some quick info on this car

"The original RUF `YellowBird' CTR was declared "the fastest Sportscar in the world" by Road & Track magazine."

550hp, 200mph+, 0 to 60 in 2.8 seconds :shock: thats all anybody really needs to know. Must be a great handling car as well with awd!!
r2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 03:39 AM   #7
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by nickthaskater
Dude, it was a simple question... How about just giving him an answer instead of getting bitchfesty?
"Dude" - I did answer him.

His "question" was insinuating that the post was wrong - so I corrected his "incorrect correction".

He (and you) now have more than enough info to your happy little selves busy for a day or 2.

I have said it before - and will say it again, I don't post bullshit - ever.

Oh - take this reply how ever you want to... I really don't give a hoot.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:51 AM   #8
blackenzo
Regular User

my dads car is a 1993 965 turbo 3.6 and no did not read about this car before but the yellowbird is based on a 930 as dani d mas said
Old 09-04-2006, 04:08 AM   #9
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by blackenzo
my dads car is a 1993 965 turbo 3.6 and no did not read about this car before but the yellowbird is based on a 930 as dani d mas said
Well, as exlained to me by various Porsche insiders, and the Porsche archivist Marc Bongers - your dads car is a 965 then.. the name 965 implies a Turbo car.

The 964 Turbo would have been from 1990 forward using the 3.3l Turbo motor, an the 965 (no need for the Turbo moniker - it is implied) uses the 3.6l motor

OK - so back to the RUF CTR option - which was available as a completely bilt car from 1987 through 1993.

The first 23 (as far as we can tell - RUF will be confirmign this in the next week) were in fact pre-964 911 based (but not based on the Turbo interestingly - but a their own 3366cc Turno engine)

The last 2 CTR 1's commisione din 1993 were built using 2 C4 964 cars. The AWD system and 6 speed transmisiosn are of RUF design.

Anyway, why exactly am I debating with you the pedigree and heritage of a well documented pair of cars?

The white and black pair of 964 CTR1 AWD cars correctly carry the nick name "Yellowbird" because they are in fact "Yellowbirds".

No one is claiming this car to be the the ORIGINAL yellow "Yellowbird" - but rest assured, all CTR 1's were affectionately called "Yellowbird"..

Anywaaaayyyyyyyy..

The entire point of this thread was to share one of the most badass cars ever to be featured on JW with your folks...

If you would prefer, I could just delete the thread and then you need no longer be offended by the 964 Yellowbird as it obviously means a lot to you.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:27 AM   #10
nickthaskater

You're the only one getting bent out of shape in this thread RC. Not everyone knows every little detail about every little car (you were in that position at one point believe it or not), so if someone doesn't know, why not just inform them politely instead of being an asshole about it?

Anyways, enough about you, that is indeed an awe inspiring car, though it is hard to link the Yellowbird name to an AWD model, especially after watching Stefan tear up the 'Ring in the RWD variant.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:19 AM   #11
5vz-fe
Regular User

ABS On/Off, now that's a good feature.
I guess the variable (with knob on dash) AWD is the Ruf special. Very "interesting" turbo boost controller ~

Thanks RC, we'll probably never get a ride off it, but knowing u are blown away by it can give us a relative reference on how fast the car is. Cheers...and back to bed.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:49 AM   #12
pzgren
Regular User

the nickname yellowbird was given from the journalist who've been on the racetrack where they've tested several supercars years ago. it was very rainy those days and the yellow ruf car was the only one who was visible from far away in those wet conditions. that's why the created the nickname yellowbird.

btw very nice car, i like the pictures. must be a hell of a ride - thx RC
Old 09-04-2006, 05:50 AM   #13
harryo2b
Regular User

Not bad...

Yes, although not original RUF VIN# a full conversion would consider it to be a RUF automobile and a remarkable one at that. Insane $316K development costs?! :shock:

The Beddor bros yellow CTR-2 Sports were used for hill climbing I do believe.

Brings me back to the memories of trying to secure ownership of a 1995 BTR-2... :cry:

2006 Porsche Boxster S/Atlas Grey Metallic/Black/Black/6 spd
Canon 30D/17-85 IS/70-200 4L IS/580EXII/430EX/B+W Filters
harryo2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 06:46 AM   #14
blackenzo
Regular User

the yellowbird at the time held the record for the fastest lap at the ring for a long time and beat the f40 its rival at the time this is what made ruf who they are today and are still building phenomenal cars my dad met ellios ruf and i have now got a personally signed picture by mr fuf of the yellowbird done by a top artist.

IM A BIG FAN OF RUF!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2006, 08:04 AM   #15
nthfinity
Regular User

the yellowbird at the time held the record for the fastest lap at the ring for a long time and beat the f40 its rival at the time this is what made ruf who they are today and are still building phenomenal cars my dad met ellios ruf and i have now got a personally signed picture by mr fuf of the yellowbird done by a top artist.

IM A BIG FAN OF RUF!!!!!!
thats wonderful, but even porsche fans learn about certain "non-existant" P-cars... I have one such "non-existant" P car on the way.... 8) .... one that just might pull the stops on this 964 CTR.... and is older then it too...
hehe