Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos > Videogames

Old 08-12-2008, 09:54 PM   #1
PvtStash
Regular User

Arrow rFactor ( Racing Sim )

Seeing as this is a car type site I was wondering if anyone plays any PC based racing/driving sims? I like them as they have that wonderful reset key so you don't empty your wallet every time you learn something new about the laws of physics. If you play them let's hear about it as chances are we probably have the same games and maybe even play on the same servers but just don't know it.

There's a few around, probably some of the more popular titles might be ones' such as rFactor, GTR/2, LFS and maybe GTL. There are plenty more though and some half decent arcade styled titles like GRID worth a shot.

If you don't know of rFactor though and like racing then you might like to check it out. It's pretty cheap to buy and there is a huge list of ad-ons that grows daily covering almost all types of racing and tracks. Cars range from karts to trucks so there's plenty to choose from. The main site for rFactor is www.rFactor.net where you can download the latest install and purchase as well. The demo is time limited to 60 minutes so it might pay to download your favourite car and track before running the demo so you get to try something you like. The standard install of rfactor doesn't contain much so take a look at www.rfactorcentral.com for some extras, you will need to register but it's free and is the main place to get free extra content for rFactor.

There are heaps of other places to get stuff and also plenty of leagues running rFactor so you are bound to find somewhere to race what you like. The game has good, solid netcode so racing online is fun and you can get nice and close and even get into some contact with no problems at all. So if you like racing but don't have enless pockets of money then give virtual racing a shot, it's fun and cheap. Hope to see some of you on track somewhere for some fun times. Peace and goodwill to all.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:03 PM   #2
HeilSvenska
Regular User

You already had a thread about rFactor...
http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55098
Old 08-12-2008, 11:54 PM   #3
Pokiou
Regular User

most of us play rfactor and are part of a league
Pokiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:36 AM   #4
Alelanza
Regular User

I'm a newbie at gtr2, thoughts on it vs rfactor? have not played the latter.
Alelanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:02 AM   #5
Pokiou
Regular User

rfactor is more simulation and more open ended as it has a endless supply of mods.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:59 AM   #6
CarlZ
Regular User

I don't know, I'm playing Live For Speed
Old 08-13-2008, 04:53 AM   #7
ru7
Regular User

CarlZ, me too, LFSing for 2 years now. But i like rfactor for mod support. Im planing on buying rFactor in the Future...

CarlZ, PM
Old 08-13-2008, 06:07 AM   #8
PvtStash
Regular User

Sorry, I forgot about that other thread. And I guess I put that one in the wrong place as well, doing good here. Hopefully rFactor 2 should be with us some time in the near future with lot's more stuff working such as weather etc. GTR/2 and rFactor are built around the same game engine but do differ quite a bit in the way they drive. I don't mind either really but there's more ad-ons for rFactor so it gets more attention from me currently than GTR/2. I guess the biggest bonus with rFactor is if something in the game isn't to your liking you can alter it yourself as the software is totally open. Plus you can also get all the GTR cars and tracks for rfactor now days so only need one game.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:39 AM   #9
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by PvtStash View Post
Seeing as this is a car type site I was wondering if anyone plays any PC based racing/driving sims? I like them as they have that wonderful reset key so you don't empty your wallet every time you learn something new about the laws of physics. If you play them let's hear about it as chances are we probably have the same games and maybe even play on the same servers but just don't know it.

There's a few around, probably some of the more popular titles might be ones' such as rFactor, GTR/2, LFS and maybe GTL. There are plenty more though and some half decent arcade styled titles like GRID worth a shot.

If you don't know of rFactor though and like racing then you might like to check it out. It's pretty cheap to buy and there is a huge list of ad-ons that grows daily covering almost all types of racing and tracks. Cars range from karts to trucks so there's plenty to choose from. The main site for rFactor is www.rFactor.net where you can download the latest install and purchase as well. The demo is time limited to 60 minutes so it might pay to download your favourite car and track before running the demo so you get to try something you like. The standard install of rfactor doesn't contain much so take a look at www.rfactorcentral.com for some extras, you will need to register but it's free and is the main place to get free extra content for rFactor.

There are heaps of other places to get stuff and also plenty of leagues running rFactor so you are bound to find somewhere to race what you like. The game has good, solid netcode so racing online is fun and you can get nice and close and even get into some contact with no problems at all. So if you like racing but don't have enless pockets of money then give virtual racing a shot, it's fun and cheap. Hope to see some of you on track somewhere for some fun times. Peace and goodwill to all.
Our other site is www.nogripracing.com
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:41 PM   #10
PvtStash
Regular User

Ah geeze, I think I'll just give up now and go back to sleep. First I forget that other thread and started it in the wrong section, and then after being told a few times forgot about nogrip. Think I need an " I am an idiot " T-shirt. Thanks for the reminder and for being patient as sometimes I can be a bit thick.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:08 AM   #11
Pokiou
Regular User

or we can change the REgular User status to Something like mine
Old 08-15-2008, 09:23 AM   #12
PvtStash
Regular User

lol Yup not a bad idea.