Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Porsche

Porsche Porsche - the finest German Cars

Old 04-22-2005, 05:17 AM   #61
dingo
Regular User

Originally Posted by mindgam3

Dingo: If pagani were to make their own engine it would bump the cost up to at least twice the price it is now.

IMO, although a fairly old engine, the V12 is one of the best engines to come out of AMG in a fair while
I realise that and understand their reasons for doing it, but its just something that would make the car more special for me - even if it did cost twice as much (its not like I can afford one anyway )

I agree it is a great engine, its just that it doesn't have the 'flare' or 'passion' of an Italian V12....if that makes sense
Old 04-22-2005, 05:25 AM   #62
mindgam3
Regular User

Originally Posted by dingo
Originally Posted by mindgam3

Dingo: If pagani were to make their own engine it would bump the cost up to at least twice the price it is now.

IMO, although a fairly old engine, the V12 is one of the best engines to come out of AMG in a fair while
I realise that and understand their reasons for doing it, but its just something that would make the car more special for me - even if it did cost twice as much (its not like I can afford one anyway )

I agree it is a great engine, its just that it doesn't have the 'flare' or 'passion' of an Italian V12....if that makes sense
I suggest you get to a track day or some car event then and hear one of these things on full beans
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 05:41 AM   #63
dingo
Regular User

not likely to happen, as there are no Zonda's in Perth I wasn't necassarily talking just about the sound, its just to me that a true Italian supercar should have an Italian engine
Old 04-22-2005, 05:56 AM   #64
mindgam3
Regular User

Originally Posted by dingo
not likely to happen, as there are no Zonda's in Perth I wasn't necassarily talking just about the sound, its just to me that a true Italian supercar should have an Italian engine
I guess so, but IMO it doesen't detract from the overall soul of the whole car, you get shoes made by the popes cobbler ffs! I mean you wouldnt say the Gallardo has no soul would you? But its engine is based on Audi's and Cosworth (used to) manufactures and build most of it... now thats not italian is it
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 07:25 AM   #65
stmoritzer
Regular User

Thanks st-anger for the Zonda S video, there aren't many around...

downloading...

EDIT: finished, 7min44 on the Nürnburgring is quite fast...

my page: www.davidkaiser.ch - "Lamborghini meets St.Moritz" Photo-CD now available !
recent post: 15+ Gallardo Superleggeras roaring in the Swiss Alps !
stmoritzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 11:17 AM   #66
lakatu
Regular User

Very fast car. Altough I don't find it very appealing. I would rather have a GT2 if I were looking for a track car this fast. I also thought SA should have showed more track footage :roll: . Kind of disappointed in the they way they did the video. Thanks st-anger.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:05 PM   #67
nthfinity
Regular User

thankyou for the video, St-A

im largely with lakatu on this one... where id much rather have a GT2 over a Zonda... perhaps even a GT3. 7:44 NS time is quite respectable, but really doesnt seem to fit the bill for a car that tries to compete against the Koenigsegg, Murcielago, Enzo, CGT etc... where its lap time seems more comparable to a GT3 and M3 CSL

with more track footage of perhaps hockenheim ring, and lap time could give a better appreciation of what the car is capable of... being an Italian car, i would imagine that its not as well suited suspension-wise for the nurburgring. i am impressed, however that it could survive the bank in the karosel. i recall reading that you said the Enzo wouldnt, and could loose 2 seconds on the lap just because of it.

one piece of footage i enjoyed quite a bit... the smoke trails in the wind tunnel as suspicions pointed to, the rear wing element is quite near non-functional... but the underside aero appears quite well thought out.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:58 PM   #68
Fleischmann
Regular User

Originally Posted by st-anger
Awesome I remember I had to leave the house when this review was on TV This download more thean makes up for it Cheers m8
Old 08-11-2005, 11:04 AM   #69
st-anger
Regular User

vid from 11082005: :arrow: link

Sport Auto TV - MB SL500 Supertest

...as i know there´re some NS freaks in here i made some extra work and translated the stuff said for HHR and NS...
see the time inside the vid in brackets...

(00:45)
ABC suspension very usable for the smooth HHR steer-in behaviour into the narrow Sachs-corner is very good, accelerating out of such low speed corners would require more power for such a heavy car…

(01:00)
hard braking into the Opel-corner, the body-roll is balanced by the ABC suspension really fast, the SL500 shows a good handling behaviour although it´s very narrow in “sport mode”

(01:45)
no wheelspin at all, due to auto-tranny and weight distribution, better result from 0 to 200 is prevented by the high weight of 1.8ton.
brakes are superb

( 02:15)
slalom test, very good due to ABC suspension, easy handling hardly any understeering, very precise steering – a novelty on MB cars

(03:50)
at the NS the ABC “sport mode” is switched OFF due to handling issues with activated sport mode – kinda strange but necessary due to safety reasons

(04:10)
a good example for that it the fast jumphill at “Flugplatz” with sport mode ON the electronic suspension reacts with stiffer dampers when it detects a sudden negative compression of the shock struts.

(04:22)
this behaviour is even more critical at “Schwedenkreuz” at speeds around 230kmh, here, some suspension-reserve is rather wanted than too stiff dampers
on the other hand with the sport mode deactivated the SL500 is as meek as a lamb round the ´ring

(04:35)
with max. acceleration the SL500 shoots into “Fuchsröhre” with 219km/h, a comparable Jag XKR can only do 210 there…

(04:52)
seconds later the SL is right in front of narrow “Wehrseifen” (04:57) and “Breitscheid” (05:07) here the suspension remains calm although there´re quite some bumps in the braking zone, on Breitscheider-bridge there´s sometimes only half a meter left (05:12) but the speed is needed for the very steep uphill up to “Ex-Mühle”

(05:20)
in the following right, called “Bergwerk”, the SL only reaches 92km/h @ 0.9g - an average result

(05:32)
out of “Steilstrecke” approaching “Karussell” very very hard for the car and especially suspension due to high weight but in the end nothing to worry about.

(05:50)
upshift down to big jumphill “Pflanzgarten I”, but also this very tricky section the SL remains calm and safe at speed of 177km/h – so 7km/h faster than comparable Jag XKR

(06:11)
even on the last few, km´s the brakes are up to top standard, lap time of 8:38 is a very good and surprising result…
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 11:48 AM   #70
yg60m
Regular User

Thank you for taking the time to translate and thanks for the link
Old 08-11-2005, 12:05 PM   #71
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by yg60m
Thank you for taking the time to translate and thanks for the link
u´re welcome - just saw that the last Feat.Vid is from April ops: but i simply don´t have that much time every month to upload/edit/bla bla bla a vid, took some time off today and wrote a - hopefully quite useful - explanation to the TWO vids, should be some kind of "double test" as the SL55 vid is currently uploading to JW, will be posted here as soon as it´s finished...

cheers,

st-A...
Porsche 911
Old 08-13-2005, 06:19 PM   #72
st-anger
Regular User

vid from 13082005: :arrow: link

Sport Auto TV - MB SL55 AMG Supertest

(01:00)

in comparison to the SL500 the SL55 is way more sporty and of course powerful, this can be seen even on the first lap at narrow HHR, the SL55 approaches the “Nordkurve” with 200km/h (01:06) also very precise and smooth steering, accelerating to “Ameiskurve” ( 01:18 ) is phenomenal, but also the braking right in front of it.

(01:40)

0.85g at the entry of “Motodrom” inside the “Sachskurve” ( 01:45 ) it can pull 1g, only downside, a missing diff-lock ( 01:50 ) is preventing better power usage and lap time of 1.18,4min.

(02:01)

“ESP OFF, ABC “Sport” is the motto for good acceleration performance, 0-100 4.3 sec, 0-200 13.8 sec, at that time an outstanding result, also braking back from 200 within 147.2m ( 02:28 )

(02:39)

the handling at slalom test is shows a two-edged behaviour, light, unspectacular turning-in with understeering tendency, but the longer the slalom the more oversteering due to load-cycle changes, not very easy to control due to the narrow handling behaviour in “Sport mode”

( 04:28 )

due to the layout of the NS the suspension remains in “Normal mode”, same reasons like with the 500, even in the first few corners, “Hatzenbach”, the suspension has to deal with some massive loads
( 04:44 ) on the “Quiddelbacher bridge” up to “Quiddelbacher Höhe” the suspension is operating at ist limit ( 04:52 ) same is valid for following “Flugplatz” and “Schwedenkreuz” section, because the electronic suspension is sometimes kinda overstrained with fast changes of positive and negative compression. so to reach 249km/h at “Schwedenkrauz” is very hard to reach and requires quite a brave driver.

(05:04)

…turning into the “Aremberg” corner @1.15g, the maximal g´s for the 55 on the ´ring

(05:14)

“Fuchsröhre” is quite scary, even at “Normal” mode, at 238 km/h due to massive weight and not really optimal ABC suspension

(05:30)

down from “Adenauer Forst” ( 05:32 ) through “Metzgesfeld” “Kallenhard” and “Wehrseifen” ( 05:42 ) to “Breitscheid”, a very very demanding downhill section the brakes are showing a good performance in front of “Breitscheider bridge” ( 05:48 )

(05:56)

very sensitive touching of the curb at “Ex Mühle” – if the driver is only some centimetres more on the right inner side he´ll definitely end up in the wall…

(06:01)

…very precise steering-in at demanding “Bergwerk” but 95km/h is again only an average result, the reference BMW Z8 is good for 100km/h here…

(06:14)

at “Steilstrecke”, ofter also called “Klostertal II”, a missing diff-lock is preventing a better result, up to “Karussell” the powerful engine is just phenomenal, entering the famous section ( 06:25 ) is quite an event with almost 2ton of weight and such a powerful car, the ABC suspension is dealing quite good with the extremely demanding section.

(06:35)

down to “Brünnchen” through “Eschenbach” ( 06:42 ) up to “Pflanzgarten I” (06:47) through the famous jumphill ( 06:49 ), speeds at that section 186km/h – “Pflanzgarten II” jump ( 06:56 )

(07:15)

through “Galgenkopf” up to the “Döttinger Höhe” where the 55 is driving more than a kilometre at the el.limited 250km/h barrier, so the quite good lap time seems like a miracle.
Porsche 911
Old 08-13-2005, 07:05 PM   #73
Ghostbat
Regular User

Thanks for posting two test of one of my favourite car manufacterers. I don't want to be the negative dude but it's seems the SL55 vid is corrupted, at least for me :cry:
Ghostbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 07:12 PM   #74
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by Ghostbat
Thanks for posting two test of one of my favourite car manufacterers. I don't want to be the negative dude but it's seems the SL55 vid is corrupted, at least for me :cry:
...is working perfectly for me .... hmmmm.... strange, let´s wait for someone else to dl it....

sorry...
Porsche 911
Old 08-13-2005, 08:55 PM   #75
dingo
Regular User

I've downloaded the SL55 test and it works fine for me......no time to watch it all yet but a quick scan it seems good.

THanks st-anger.