Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 02-04-2004, 03:32 PM   #1
ulti3mat
Regular User

Default New Shelby Cobra

I was watching speedvision and they showed the New Shelby Cobra...I don't really like it...what do you all think of it?
Old 02-04-2004, 03:34 PM   #2
TT
Regular User

We think that there were at least a couple of topics with discussions about it already
Old 02-04-2004, 04:57 PM   #3
megahurts4
Regular User

I read about it in Motor Trend. I don't care for how it looks, but you can't go wrong with 605 hp, 501 ft-lbs, and ~3200 lbs

Don't forget RWD... ahh RWD how I love you so...
Old 02-04-2004, 05:00 PM   #4
coloradosilver
Regular User

I really like the older ones more. I love that 427 side-oiler engine. It sounds great and runs soo strong. I don't like the new body either. I think a beefy V8 is a better choice then the V10 that they're using, but thats just me.
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 05:12 PM   #5
brijoel
Regular User

love the look, course i love the look of the old ones as well. amazing motor IMO, i prefer the revability they have created out of the v10. however, the weight bugs me. 3200 lbs vs the old cobras fairly light weight.....ill take the old one every time.

1994 Gen II engine, 1996 close ratio tranny, CT20b turbo, ARC Intake, 1996 gen 3 ecu, HKS Super Sequential Blowoff Valve, HKS 43mm Boost Gauge, Greddy Dual PE Exhaust,Greddy Turbo Timer, Greddy Profec B boost controller(12 psi normal, 17 psi high~fuel cut is 18~) , Greddy Intercooler, Manjit IC Fan Shroud, Spal 7.5" Puller Fan, Ceramic Coated Turbo Heat Shield and Intercooler Piping, Bilstein Struts, Eibach Sportline Springs, Suspension Technique Sway Bars, GAB Strut Tower Bar, KAAZ LSD, Supra TT Fuel Pump and 540cc gen 3 injectors, 16" GAB Sport wheels, Yokohama AVS ES100 205/45/16 & 225/45/16, Powerslot rotors and EBC red stuff pads in front, and stock rear.

~phew~
brijoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 05:47 PM   #6
nthfinity
Regular User

the old one is great IMO, but ill take the new one with added lateral accelleration. the v-10 in the concept is a bored and stroked variant of the 4.6 DOHC aluminum block with 2 added pistons. being that its a new interpretation, id put money that the new one would be faster in a straight line as well. got to love N/A motors.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:16 AM   #7
mave
Regular User

Basically they r made for same task, and that's all they share...
And the look...it's not that the new one is bad, it's just that it can't take the place.
mave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 12:21 PM   #8
lucduc76
Regular User

the old was great, the look of the new one is just......
lucduc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 01:00 PM   #9
Garretts_turbo
Regular User

its similar to the old cobras of the 60's but the look is sort of dumbed down. i like the ideas and the concepts the new one comes with, but i miss the raw look the old ones had about them. no false pretenses, the 60's cobras were bad and fast. the new cobra looks tamer.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:29 PM   #10
sads
Regular User

any pics? whats the stats?
Old 02-17-2004, 10:52 AM   #11
Bigdaddytwon
Regular User

I don't think it'll ever make production with 605 hp for two reasons. First of all the Current GT is throwin down 500, so unless the cobra is going to cost over 160k .. someone is going to be pissed. Also the next mustang is rumored to be going after the next Z06 .. which means somewhere close to 500 hp as well.
Then theres the little matter of the viper. Is there really room for 2 v10 equipped american sportscars? I don't know the answer to that but my gut tells me no. The volume above 50 grand is already pretty small.. releasing a car that copetes for the exact same customers as the viper seems like its going to be a sales disappointment.

My $.02 .. put that v10 in the GT (if it'll fit)... or maybe this is a teaser for the next cobra motor!
Bigdaddytwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 11:21 PM   #12
vegetoxx
Regular User

Is there room for 2 v10 equipped american sportscars? What, are you kidding...of course, there's room for competition. I think some needs to compete directly with the viper anyway. The car is great, but we need someone to push the company to evolve their products. Competition does that. And as by-product, cost are driven down.

However, I say forget the V10s, supercharge the V8s and let the good time roll!!! 8)
vegetoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 12:14 AM   #13
Tomerville
Regular User

I think it is ridiculous. I mean common, the thing won't handle...why arn't people getting sick of big engines, push-rods and 1950's technology?! I am! lets move on from the days of 7.0 L engines making 350hp. Plus, the grill is ugly. yuch. overpriced.

"Time is a versitile performer: it flies, marches, heals all wounds, runs out and will tell"
-Franklin Jones

^The definition of grip. Nav+Bose (standard) Arctic Silver on Blue, Heaven on Earth. '05 911 Turbo^
Tomerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 05:29 PM   #14
bmagni
Regular User

hell its ugly... the retro think just isnt workin too good in some cars
bmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 06:20 PM   #15
ultramanluder
Regular User

I don't like it at all, the old one looks way better. Ford did a much better job with the GT remake than the Cobra. Supposedly Shelby was involved with the design team at the start. I can't believe he would go for that look.
ultramanluder is offline   Reply With Quote