Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 10-06-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
StanAE86
Regular User

Default F1 BEGINNER'S THREAD - QUESTION AND ANSWER

I've always liked watching F1, but I have never followed it. This season, I've been catching more of it and damn it, I regret not following from beginning of the season (GO HAMILTON! ).

Some questions I have, that I hope people here can help me with is:

1. What do the colors signify when they talk about times in the various sectors? I know that each color represents how fast a driver runs a section, but what are the color rankings? I think I picked up purple being the fastest through a section?

2. What is up with the Ferrari cars having what looks like a barcode on it? I see in today's Chinese GP qualifying, "Marlboro" is still a major sponsor. I'm guessing in those countries where it is a barcode decal, it's because there are restrictions from tobacco advertisement in motorsport?

3. Does the barcode signify anything? Is it a Marlboro cigarette package barcode?

4. From what I can tell, Hamilton is on the brink of possibly being the first rookie to win the championship?

5. Is Alonso (hahah...I take it A-l-o-n-s-o is not popular here)...which I guess answers my next question, is he the punk-ass bitch he appears to be? Whining and playing dirty because Hamilton is showing to be a better driver?

6. The BMWs don't appear too strong this year from the races I've watched (the last 3 or 4)...is it just that they're not matching the McLaren and Ferrari paces or are there issues with the car or drivers? I heard that one of the cars were plagued by gearbox problems this weekend?

7. Hamilton appears to be a really genuinely nice driver. Likely because he's the rookie. I like this guy.

8. I'm digging the battle for the driver's championship. From the F1 page, Raikkonen is in third behind the McLaren drivers. What's the possibility of it coming down to the race in Brazil? I'd hate to see Hamilton lock it up in China.

9. What's up with the FIA choosing to run Japan "during the rainiest month of the year"? 80% chance of rain tomorrow with a typhoon on the way. Sheesh. Does the FIA hold to a particular map they follow for determining the season? Or, does bumping China and Japan further up in the season result in poor weather races elsewhere as well? Exciting to see racing in the rain, but when it's so bad you can't see through the spray and the pace car races for everyone for half the damn race, it sucks.

Thanks Everyone!
Old 10-06-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
sameerrao
Regular User

Default Re: F1 BEGINNER'S THREAD - QUESTION AND ANSWER

Originally Posted by StanAE86
I've always liked watching F1, but I have never followed it. This season, I've been catching more of it and damn it, I regret not following from beginning of the season (GO HAMILTON! ).

Some questions I have, that I hope people here can help me with is:

1. What do the colors signify when they talk about times in the various sectors? I know that each color represents how fast a driver runs a section, but what are the color rankings? I think I picked up purple being the fastest through a section?

2. What is up with the Ferrari cars having what looks like a barcode on it? I see in today's Chinese GP qualifying, "Marlboro" is still a major sponsor. I'm guessing in those countries where it is a barcode decal, it's because there are restrictions from tobacco advertisement in motorsport?

3. Does the barcode signify anything? Is it a Marlboro cigarette package barcode?

4. From what I can tell, Hamilton is on the brink of possibly being the first rookie to win the championship?

5. Is F1's Lance Bass (hahah...I take it A-l-o-n-s-o is not popular here)...which I guess answers my next question, is he the punk-ass bitch he appears to be? Whining and playing dirty because Hamilton is showing to be a better driver?

6. The BMWs don't appear too strong this year from the races I've watched (the last 3 or 4)...is it just that they're not matching the McLaren and Ferrari paces or are there issues with the car or drivers? I heard that one of the cars were plagued by gearbox problems this weekend?

7. Hamilton appears to be a really genuinely nice driver. Likely because he's the rookie. I like this guy.

8. I'm digging the battle for the driver's championship. From the F1 page, Raikkonen is in third behind the McLaren drivers. What's the possibility of it coming down to the race in Brazil? I'd hate to see Hamilton lock it up in China.

9. What's up with the FIA choosing to run Japan "during the rainiest month of the year"? 80% chance of rain tomorrow with a typhoon on the way. Sheesh. Does the FIA hold to a particular map they follow for determining the season? Or, does bumping China and Japan further up in the season result in poor weather races elsewhere as well? Exciting to see racing in the rain, but when it's so bad you can't see through the spray and the pace car races for everyone for half the damn race, it sucks.

Thanks Everyone!
1. Purple in a given sector indicates that the driver is posting the fastest time in that sector. Green indicates that the driver is posting his personal best time in that sector but the fastest time is held by someone else.

2. Yep. The barcode is to subliminally remind people that it si Marlboro. Tobacco sponsorship on racing cars have been banned in Europe but is allowed in Asia and USA. Most F1 teams are getting out of tobacco sponsorship - McLaren and Renault stopped in 2006.

3. No idea but it represents Marlboro. But it could also mean - Fuck you Ron Dennis.

4. He seems to be a shoe-in and I believe he can clinch it this weekend

5. Alonso is a fantastic driver but also a whiney baby. He is a bit too childish. He also likes to put himself in a psychological position where the world is against him and he is fighting big odds. He did this in 2006 as well. I guess that's what he needs to fire himself up to perform at his best.

6. BMW improved tremendously over last year's Sauber chassis. They are the #3 car there. I think BMW has chosen to focus more on 2008 and so there are releatively fewer developments in the last 4-5 races in the 2007 season. Ferrari and McLaren are forced to continue developing their 2007 car because they are fighting for the driver's championship.

7. I like him too. He is a breath of fresh air to F1. He can only improve going forward. I hope we get rid of some of the old fogies - Coulthard, Fisico, Ralf (this has happened!), Trulli and few others. Its time to get a fresh hungry bunch to keep Raikkonen and Alonso on their toes.

8. Low possibility. I think Hamilton was low fuelled to grab the pole. I think he is likely to finish third or fourth tomorrow. If this happens then even if Kimi wins, he is out of the championship hunt. Hamilton needs to DNF or get maximum of 1 point for Kimi to be in the hunt in Brazil. Alonso needs to finish 3 or points ahead to stay in the hunt. But the probabilities against these two are stacked high.

9. I think the schedule was such that they didnt have much choice. They need to run China and Japan back to back for transportation economies. Perhaps they may change Japan to follow China next year. Though it seems now Shanghai might face a typhoon

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 02:16 PM   #3
blue8
Regular User

From what I recall, Marlboro on the Ferrari was allowed only in Bahrain, Monaco and China this season.

A safety car period for 19 laps(!) is the first, if I'm not mistaken. Racing in the rain is always more exciting because of the unpredictability. People also say that it's the great equalizer - it's not so much the car but the talent of the driver to succeed on a wet track.

On Hamilton, he has no doubt done well this season but I'm starting not to like him because he seems to be getting special treatment - at least that's what conspiracy theorists say But after Ecclestone admitted that he needs Lewis to win the championship, I'm more than convinced they're right.

I do enjoy the fresh crop of F1 drivers: Rosberg, Kovalainen, Kubica, Vettel and even Sutil. With a good car, these kids will soon fight for the world championsip -- and I'm looking forward to that!

blue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 05:26 PM   #4
gucom
Regular User

i dont know much about the budgets (couple of hundred million dollars a year for the top teams), but the "lollypop" that flips up is the gas tank cover, opens automatically to save the pit crew some time while not disturbing the aero of the car when its closed... its all in the details innit
Old 10-06-2007, 05:35 PM   #5
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by goodduck
this is a good thread. cleared up a few things for me. i also wish i had watched more of this season. i dont get speed channel so i have to watch all the races after reading the boards here and knowing everything that happened. i have only seen about 5 races from this season. i might try to get to a sports bar tonight to watch this one.

i will come up with more questiosn but some that stick out are the following:

what is the budget like these days for running an F1 team including contracts? how much of it is covered by sponsorships?

what is the little lollypop dealy that pops up from the car when they enter the pits?
Actual Budgets are a closely guarded secret but ball park estimates are:
- USD 75-100 Million for the bottom feeders
- USD 400-500 Million for Toyota, Ferrari, McLaren

The other teams are somewhere in between. Renault's budget is around $300 Million. They do a great job given the money spent.

What makes it expensive:
- Top tier of drivers are expensive - Schumi was being paid roughly $50 MM/year. Alonso, Kimi and others should be in the $25MM bracket
- Other toptier personnel - Designer Adrian Newey is worth about $10 MM/year for example
- Wind tunnels and super computer equipment - $$$$$ particularly if they want to go for a half scale or full scale wind tunnel
- Engine development cost - this should have dropped a lot with the "frozen" engine specifications
- Test team/track fees

Lollipop is as gucom described.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 05:57 PM   #6
yellky
Regular User

dont forget that his team cheated and he's running illegal car :roll:
Old 10-06-2007, 07:48 PM   #7
5vz-fe
Regular User

^Correction, he's running a techically legal, but stolen car.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:45 PM   #8
go1d1e
Regular User

Great thread. For those interested, you can watch the speed channel online. Just google TVU and download the player. Wheels channel is speed.

Dont care what you say about Hamilton/Dennis, or Mcclaren.. Ferrari has always been the favorite team with rule changes benefitting them numerous times. If ferrari had the chance to see Mcclaren documents, you bet your arse they would of tried. I have faith though, I dont think Dennis or Mcclaren did anything wrong.
go1d1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:13 AM   #9
StanAE86
Regular User

Thanks for all the good information. Looks like it's helping clear up quite a few things for several of us. That's why JW rocks!
Old 10-07-2007, 05:38 PM   #10
StanAE86
Regular User

Originally Posted by sameerrao
8. Low possibility. I think Hamilton was low fuelled to grab the pole. I think he is likely to finish third or fourth tomorrow. If this happens then even if Kimi wins, he is out of the championship hunt. Hamilton needs to DNF or get maximum of 1 point for Kimi to be in the hunt in Brazil. F1's Lance Bass needs to finish 3 or points ahead to stay in the hunt. But the probabilities against these two are stacked high.
Heh heh. Not bad for my beginner thread. I haven't watched the race yet, but understand that Hamilton DNF'd and Kimi won China with Alonso in second. What needs to happen for Kimi to take it? Although I like Hamilton, I want to see Kimi win the driver's championship...GO KIMI!!!!
Old 10-07-2007, 06:16 PM   #11
5vz-fe
Regular User

Originally Posted by go1d1e
Great thread. For those interested, you can watch the speed channel online. Just google TVU and download the player. Wheels channel is speed.

Dont care what you say about Hamilton/Dennis, or Mcclaren.. Ferrari has always been the favorite team with rule changes benefitting them numerous times. If ferrari had the chance to see Mcclaren documents, you bet your arse they would of tried. I have faith though, I dont think Dennis or Mcclaren did anything wrong.
Oh please....let's not talk about hypotheical scenario shall we. Faith my ass, Ron is the most f**ked up team boss. He's always talking crap.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:26 PM   #12
ae86_16v
Regular User

^ Kimi's gotta finish first so, he will get 10 pts, and Hamilton has to finish no higher than 7th (2pts) and/or Alonso has to finish no higher than 4th (5pts).

If I did my math correctly.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:22 PM   #13
gucom
Regular User

^it seems to me the chances of that happening are rather close to 0