Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 12-10-2003, 08:27 AM   #1
hemi_fan
Regular User

Default Checkin out a car.

Im probably going to look at this car on friday. It was in Auto trader and it looked like a decent deal so I've got my fingers crossed. Im probably going to need a loan from my grandma to buy it tho, and I really dont wanna borrow money from her, but we'll see.

Tell me what you think!

1990 Ford Mustang GT
Factory Rated: 225hp, 300lbs tq
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/hemi_fan
hemi_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 10:32 AM   #2
blah
Regular User

Take a MEchanic with you, if you can. Check for rust every where, take a flash llight so you can see all under the car. Just my suggestions.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:16 PM   #3
hemi_fan
Regular User

yea, those are good suggestions. Im mainly going to be looking for rust and cheap bodywork. THe car doesnt have to be perfect, but I dont want it to fall apart on me while im driving to school. lol Theres probably something wrong with it tho cuz he doesnt give any reason for selling it.

1990 Ford Mustang GT
Old 12-10-2003, 06:19 PM   #4
hemi_fan
Regular User

Damn, im too slow. the guy sold it already. lol

1990 Ford Mustang GT
Old 12-10-2003, 09:31 PM   #5
graywolf624
Regular User

Some hints for looking at old cars:
Look to see if the oil is really thick or over full. Both are tricks to make the car run better temporarily.
Check for fluids under the car.
Take a small magnet like you would use on your fridge. Rub it along the places behind the wheels that normally rust to check for painted over rust.
If the car has been recently painted or something drastic changed recently be wary.
Check that the gear box is smooth and the brakes work fine. Check the tire wear and rotor wear to see that appear normal.
When starting watch the exhaust. If anything other then steam comes out you have a sign of another problem.
Listen for knocks and pings in the engine.
Check tranny fluid for signs of burning.
Turn on and off all car electronics.

If you can bring a mechanic along to do a compression check.

Best of luck.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 09:50 PM   #6
SilviaS15Cwest
Regular User

If you can tear up a little piece of carpet on the floor board and see what kind of shape the floor board is in. If you can see the ground you dont want the car. If the floor board is that bad most likely that is not the only place it has major rust.

My toy - 1991 BMW 525i - Factory installed option limited slip, upgraded BMW rims, leather everything, Falken Ziex tires. - 189 hp, 181 tq
R/T .098
60' 2.618
330 7.311
1/8 [email protected]
1000 14.444
1/4 [email protected] ([email protected] altitude corrected.)
NEEDS TO BE FASTER! Changing a couple things and hoping for low 16's next time.
Pics at http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/529151/1
SilviaS15Cwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 04:41 PM   #7
hemi_fan
Regular User

Some great tips, thanks guys. Does anyone know some signs that a car is driven hard quite often? other than excessive tire wear on the drive wheels, what else should I look for so I dont get a car that has been beat on on a daily basis?

1990 Ford Mustang GT
Old 12-13-2003, 03:19 AM   #8
SilviaS15Cwest
Regular User

On an older car it is hard to tell if the stuff is worn out because of abuse or because of old age.

My toy - 1991 BMW 525i - Factory installed option limited slip, upgraded BMW rims, leather everything, Falken Ziex tires. - 189 hp, 181 tq
R/T .098
60' 2.618
330 7.311
1/8 [email protected]
1000 14.444
Old 12-13-2003, 02:32 PM   #9
SilviaS15Cwest
Regular User

^ Or it could of just been that the car wasnt taken care of, and parts that wear out werent replaced when they were suppose to.

Either way you probably dont want the car unless you have some money to put into it.

R/T .098
60' 2.618
330 7.311
1/8 [email protected]
1000 14.444
Old 12-16-2003, 02:02 AM   #10
mhn3773
Regular User

look at the trunk...right where the rear window and the trunk meet thats where most of the rust was on my dads 66 mustang...so im assuming because of the window and the angle it might be the same just a thought

it should be visible on the little chrome strips around the back of the window and where the roof meets the trunk

u might also want to think of "how bad" the rust is a little rust in some spots isnt to bad some rust is ever almost normal on a car that age rust is in no way bad but sometimes the good deal on the price can make up for a little grinder work and some paint just a though =)
mhn3773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 04:19 AM   #11
DR.GONZO
Regular User

when buying an old car take your time! There are a lot of good deals but they are hard to come buy, You will eventually find the right one! I'll try a search for you! Maybee I can find something in ontario, canada! But it's always not what it is until you insepect it take someone with you of knowledge about shit like that!
DR.GONZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 06:29 PM   #12
asthenia
Regular User

Shame it was sold, it looks great in the pictures. Have you tried looking on eBay? That's where I got my car, because I couldn't find one elsewhere. Had to drive it from Vancouver back to Ontario, but it was worth it.
asthenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 02:24 AM   #13
lambo4levi
Regular User

Originally Posted by asthenia
Shame it was sold, it looks great in the pictures. Have you tried looking on eBay? That's where I got my car, because I couldn't find one elsewhere. Had to drive it from Vancouver back to Ontario, but it was worth it.
Along the same lines also looking for a united states search aswell becauase alot of the time it is possible to get a fairly decent carfor a good price even after conversion of $$$$dollas$$$ but none the lessif you do a canada~wide search on autotrader.ca is a great idea Just hints from what my uncle has done