Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Favourite TV Shows and Movies

Favourite TV Shows and Movies This is the place to discuss you favourite TV Shows and Movies

Old 03-17-2006, 07:53 PM   #1
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Default South Park vs. Scientology

The war continues

NEW YORK - "South Park" has declared war on Scientology. Matt Stone and Trey Parker, creators of the animated satire, are digging in against the celebrity-endorsed religion after a controversial episode mocking outspoken Scientologist Tom Cruise was yanked abruptly from the schedule Wednesday — with Internet rumors it was covert warfare by Cruise that led to its departure.

"So, Scientology, you may have won THIS battle, but the million-year war for earth has just begun!" the "South Park" creators said in a statement Friday in Daily Variety. "Temporarily anozinizing our episode will NOT stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful man-bodies... You have obsructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail!"

Internet bloggers accused Cruise of threatening to not promote "Mission Impossible 3," a surefire summer blockbuster, if the offending episode ran. Comedy Central is owned by Viacom, as is Paramount, which is putting out "MI:3."

But Cruise's representative, Arnold Robinson, told The Associated Press Friday that the mega-star made no such demands.

"Not true," Robinson said. "I can tell you that he never said that."

A call by The Associated Press to a Paramount representative was not returned Friday.

The episode in question, "Trapped in the Closet," which first aired last November, shows Scientology leaders hailing Stan, one of the show's four devilish fourth graders, as a savior. A cartoon Cruise locks himself in a closet and won't come out. An animated John Travolta, another famous Scientologist, enters the closet to try to get him out.

In another dig at the famously secretive religion, the credits at show's end are filled with names like "John Smith" and "Jane Smith."

The battle began in earnest earlier this week when Isaac Hayes, another celebrity Scientologist and longtime show member — voicing the ladies' man Chef — quit the show, saying he could no longer tolerate its religious "intolerance and bigotry."

Stone and Parker didn't buy that either.

On Monday, Stone told The Associated Press, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith in Scientology...He has no problem — and he's cashed plenty of checks — with our show making fun of Christians."

A Comedy Central spokesman said Friday that the network pulled the controversial episode to make room for two shows featuring Hayes.

"In light of the events of earlier this week, we wanted to give Chef an appropriate tribute by airing two episodes he is most known for," the spokesman said.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:43 PM   #2
nthfinity
Regular User

"So, Scientology, you may have won THIS battle, but the million-year war for earth has just begun!" the "South Park" creators said in a statement Friday in Daily Variety. "Temporarily anozinizing our episode will NOT stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful man-bodies... You have obsructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail!"

BEST paragraph i've read this month! deserving of the Politzer prize for jurnalism!
Old 03-17-2006, 08:53 PM   #3
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

South Park rule 8) any all religious people are idiots.. Scientology onces are right up there in the top.. fucking morons :roll:
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 10:18 PM   #4
ZfrkS62
Regular User

I was always under the impression that the people who worked on South Park all had somewhere around the same view. But Issac Hayes hypocrosy here is just mind blowing. If you can take/crack Jew jokes, you can deal with jokes about Scientology. Regardless as to wether or not you are a believer in it.

South Park is going to win

Old 03-17-2006, 10:22 PM   #5
gigdy
Regular User

if you cant laugh at yourself, your fuct, scientoligist or not. mainly scientoligist tough. this just re-establishes how awesome chuck norris is.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:26 PM   #6
racer_f50
Regular User

that really sucks about Chef! where are the kids going to learn about seducing women now?

i still haven't read much about scientology, but someone did tell me it was started by a science fiction author, so that's just fucking retarded
racer_f50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 01:46 AM   #7
black_magician
Regular User

I'll join the South Park Army if the war effort needs my help 8)
black_magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 02:32 AM   #8
Fleischmann
Regular User

That's plain stuprid. He accepted sooo many cheques for dubbing the voice of chef in episodes humiliating Jews, Christians, Mormons etc. but gets upset when piss is taken out of his own religion.

The question is does this mean no more Chef ??
Old 03-18-2006, 02:34 AM   #9
ZfrkS62
Regular User

The question is does this mean no more Chef ??
probably. I'm sure they'll do something humiliating to him to kill him off for this insubordination

Old 03-18-2006, 03:00 AM   #10
Mattk
Regular User

I live next to Sydney's Church of Scientology, would you believe it. It doesn't actually seem that weird on the outside.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:21 AM   #11
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by racer_f50
that really sucks about Chef! where are the kids going to learn about seducing women now?
from Mr. Garrison, of course! (or is it now ms. Garrison )
Old 03-18-2006, 03:09 PM   #12
ARMAN
Regular User

What war?
I say attention whores, pick something what is talked about and lets roll. The name is showbiz.

I dont feel affended of any kind by SouthPark, I love the show and they did hundrets of pranks on different people and organizations. Yet, it is a comedy and what its all about.

If I should take comments like "scietologists are this or that" by you guys? Its not a comedy but I dont feel affened eather, it just shows a level of culture of some of you maybe even a level of inteligence sadly, thats all I have to say about it.

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:38 PM   #13
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

This just goes to show just how crazy Scientology is
Old 03-19-2006, 10:22 PM   #14
black_magician
Regular User

so does anyone know why they waited till now to start crying about the episode? this things aired in the middle of november, and they start pissing on our fun now? :roll:
black_magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:25 PM   #15
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by black_magician
so does anyone know why they waited till now to start crying about the episode? this things aired in the middle of november, and they start pissing on our fun now? :roll:
maybe it's just been boiling since then. I really don't know. But i want to see the outcome (anyone want to predict a full on anti-scientology season?)