Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 08-14-2008, 06:29 AM   #1
styla21
Regular User

Default Olympics: Picture Power (Photography)

This thread is designed to showcase some of the brilliant photography coming out from the Beijing Olympics. I will update this thread daily, and will include commentary for each shot from the actual photographer.

There are quite a few talented photographers on MW, and I thought this may thread may gain some interest. I encourage you to provide feedback, opinion, and post any other outstanding shots (there will be plenty!) from the Olympics that you come across!

So, first cab off the rank.
Lighting the flame

Julian Finney
"I was positioned in the second tier of the stand in the front row, on the opposite side to the main stand.
"I didn't see the rehearsal, but I was aware that the torch bearer would run around the top of the stadium before finally lighting the Olympic flame. I had no idea how it was going to look, but it turned out well from my position.
"A lot of luck is needed: if Li Ning had lit the flame in a different spot, I would have missed it completely. I chose a long lens for this section of the ceremony and it paid off. The projection of colour that followed the flame around the stadium really made this picture.
"I shot all aspects of the ceremony, from the drummers at the start, to the fireworks at the end, and, of course, the teams entering the stadium.
"Fireworks always make for great pictures. But looking back at the ceremony, the lighting of the flame was the highlight. Four years on from Athens and the Olympic torch finally reached its destination at the Beijing Olympic Games."
Photo by Julian Finney / Getty Images / 8 August 2008

Last edited by nthfinity; 12-12-2008 at 11:24 PM.
styla21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:33 AM   #2
styla21
Regular User

Flying into view

This is only the second handball match photographer Michael Steel has shot. Here he explains how he managed to capture the moment.
"This image was taken during the first half of the Germany v Korea game. It's very fast moving - I was positioned behind the goal to the left so I put my camera lens through the hole in the net in order to get a clear shot.
"My view was blocked most of the time by the players' bodies. When they moved to the other end of the court, the referee would be standing in front of me, so it was really difficult to get a clear picture."
Photo by Michael Steele/Getty Images/ 11 August 2008
Old 08-14-2008, 06:35 AM   #3
styla21
Regular User

Submerged scene

The secret to success when using a remote camera is to do plenty of research and know what you want to capture, explains photographer Adam Pretty.
"I set up the camera in the water using scuba diving gear so that I could really take my time and ensure that I would be able to frame the image, making sure it looked perfect through the lens.
"During one of the finals of the swimming I captured the reflection of the competitors and some of the amazing architecture of the venue, known as the ice cube. I just fired the remote when the swimmers hit my mark."
(Photo by Adam Pretty / Getty Images / 12 August 2008)
Old 08-14-2008, 06:36 AM   #4
styla21
Regular User

In the spotlight

Fencing is one of those events that you don't hear much about - I tend to photograph it once every four years!
"When Benjamin Kleibrink won the gold medal and started celebrating I anticipated that he would make his way over to his coach.
"I therefore positioned myself away from most of the other photographers in the hope that Benjamin would move in this direction.
"The result was this atmospheric view of the fencer as he stepped through the spotlight."
Photo: Vladimir Rys/ Getty Images/ 13 August 2008
Old 08-15-2008, 03:28 AM   #5
79TA
Regular User

cool thread topic. There are definitely some remarkable shots coming out of the games.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:26 AM   #6
styla21
Regular User

Flying through the air

"I photographed this image with a remote camera that I had set in position two hours before the event," explains Harry How
"I triggered the camera from ground level, at the moments when I thought a strong image could be possible.
"The way that the gymnast is stretched out within the uneven bars combined with the colour contrasts between her red suit and the blue mat make for a striking result."

Photo: Harry How/ Getty Images/ 14 August 2008
Old 08-19-2008, 01:39 AM   #7
styla21
Regular User

Picture power: The moon and the torch

"I was running late, rushing from my last job to the Bird's Nest for the men's 100m final - as I turned the corner with one of my colleagues we saw a full moon rising above the stadium and we could not believe our luck!
"I had to decide if it would be worth stopping to shoot this picture and risk losing my spot in the stadium - I decided I could shoot this image quickly.
"Luckily I had a long lens with me, as it would have been difficult to capture the image without it. I waited a few minutes for the moon to move in line with the torch and this was the result."
Photo: Ryan Pierse/ Getty Images/ 18 August 2008
Old 08-19-2008, 01:58 AM   #8
5vz-fe
Regular User

^Reminds me of roasting marshmallow
Old 08-19-2008, 02:20 AM   #9
unwilling
Regular User

ridonkulous photos

keep 'em coming

thanks
unwilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:37 AM   #10
styla21
Regular User

Default Under the bar

Picture power: Under the bar

"I was positioned in-field for the women's uneven bar final and was photographing Beth Tweddle of Great Britain.
"In gymnastics you look for a good action shot, preferably with a clean black background and without the spotlights in the image.
"This photograph captured these elements, but what made it more unusual is that the gymnast came from under the lower bar."
Photo: Clive Brunskill/ Getty Images/ 18 August 2008
Old 08-21-2008, 06:21 AM   #11
styla21
Regular User

Picture power: In the water

"Taking a low position can allow you to feel really close to the athletes," explains Adam Pretty.
"This is Carole Peon of France during the swimming portion of the triathlon event.
"In order to take this photograph I had to swim out to a position approximately 300m from the point at which the athletes would leave the water."
Photo: Adam Pretty/ Getty Images/ 19 August 2008
Old 08-21-2008, 08:45 AM   #12
Mattk
Regular User

This Adam Pretty sure loves getting wet, with amazing results.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:37 PM   #13
miami ferrari
Regular User

Thanks
miami ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:55 PM   #14
styla21
Regular User

Picture power: Kicking out

"This was taken in the gymnasium during the taekwondo event in a match between Chutchawal Khawlaor of Thailand and MA Jean Moloise Ogoudjobi of Benin," says Jamie Squire.
"I like this image as it really captures the energy and action of the sport - reflecting the dynamic nature of the event and how close the athletes get to one another."
Photo: Jamie Squire/Getty Images/ 21 August 200.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:56 PM   #15
styla21
Regular User

Picture power: From the depths

"I captured this image by placing a remote camera under the goal area," says Adam Pretty.
"The picture shows the area where the game became really exciting, the athletes are all in one place as they fight for the ball and the underwater aspect provides a unique perspective on the game!"
Photo: Adam Pretty/Getty Images/ 21 August 2008