Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 08-19-2008, 05:30 AM   #31
simona
Regular User

Dont see any reason why you should care about Phelps winning. He will be rich with tons of endorsement deals.

Most of you wont gain a dime...so why should anyone care about stuff he did for himself...

See the Olympics as entertainment since its all about the $$$. Just look at all the ads during its airring. NBC paid China 800+ mil to get sole US broadcast rights and they will make 3 or 4 times back. Its all about money.

People getting excited about who is winning just falling for their marketing.

Last edited by simona; 08-19-2008 at 05:37 AM.
simona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:45 AM   #32
simona
Regular User

^ you are right , just pondering how come people usually pay more attention to physical achievements. There are tons of university professors and grad students doing much more significant research that benefits mankind. People should pay more attention to other achievements and not just take what corporate america feed them.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:53 AM   #33
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by simona View Post
Dont see any reason why you should care about Phelps winning. He will be rich with tons of endorsement deals.

Most of you wont gain a dime...so why should anyone care about stuff he did for himself...

See the Olympics as entertainment since its all about the $$$. Just look at all the ads during its airring. NBC paid China 800+ mil to get sole US broadcast rights and they will make 3 or 4 times back. Its all about money.

People getting excited about who is winning just falling for their marketing.
Lets not forget about the time, effort, sacrifices and dedication that is required to be the best at any sport. If it was that easy to make millions then everyone would be doing it of course.

I dont mind falling for any marketing, if it means I get to watch someone winning 8 gold medals and re-writing the history books.
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:03 AM   #34
Jabba
Regular User

People should pay more attention to other achievements and not just take what corporate america feed them.
Last time I looked, the Olympics were taking place in China, not Corporate America.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:24 AM   #35
SHIZL
Regular User

`what bolt did in the last 20 meters was dumb move celebrating he could set a time that could of stood for ages that surface there was so fast there was no doubt that wr were going down. comparing bolt and phelps idk phelps has proving himself as a dedicated olypian not sayin bolt isnt but when he shows up for his third games and wipes the tables at 8 running events then he will be better olypian than phelps. the same time its not fair to compare these people they are freaks of nature
SHIZL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:36 AM   #36
Mattk
Regular User

^To be honest, I don't think it's fair either, to compare people in different categories. Everytime people try, arguments ensue, like the one we have now. Both of them are freaks of nature as you say. They are in a league of their own.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:41 AM   #37
nthfinity
Regular User

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mattk View Post
^To be honest, I don't think it's fair either, to compare people in different categories. Everytime people try, arguments ensue, like the one we have now. Both of them are freaks of nature as you say. They are in a league of their own.
Why not? Athletics is not about what is fair, it is about who works the hardest.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:30 AM   #38
SHIZL
Regular User

^and that has been phelps in the pool

Last edited by SHIZL; 08-19-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:21 PM   #39
simona
Regular User

Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Last time I looked, the Olympics were taking place in China, not Corporate America.
If you have been watching the games live, NBC broadcasts it "corporate America". All the ads of the "official Olympic sponsors", all are corporate America. Companies are stepping over themselves to sponsor the Olympics in China so they can have maximum exposure to the Chinese population.

I went to a jewelry store the other day, Omega has Olympic themed display cases everywhere in their section...sickens me. Capitalizing something as honorable as the Olympics.

I made it a point not to patronize any companies who capitalize on the Olympics.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:37 PM   #40
SHIZL
Regular User

^ so you didnt watch the olymipics then too bad they were good
Old 08-19-2008, 12:48 PM   #41
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Companies are stepping over themselves to sponsor the Olympics in China so they can have maximum exposure to the Chinese population.

Capitalizing something as honorable as the Olympics.

I made it a point not to patronize any companies who capitalize on the Olympics.
Corporate America is part of the Olympic history, like it or not.

And it's not the only one.

http://en.beijing2008.cn/90/53/column211995390.shtml

Look at the list. Sure, there's more US sponsors than anyone, but we have Canada, France, Taiwan, Switzerland, Japan, and Korea getting major pieces of the pie.

Besides, Kodak started "sponsoring" the Olympics since the first Summer Games in 1896. It's just how it works.

Olympics cost a lot of money and they need sponsors who are willing to pay a lot for some extra exposure. I personally think that if you are going to buy stuff just because you see it being advertised with the Olympics, you're pretty stupid. I don't need to make it my goal to specifically avoid Olympic sponsors. I'll have McDonald's if I want and have Coke if I want. I'm sure most people in the world are like that.

I think you're making a fuss over nothing. It's always been like this.

If you have been watching the games live, NBC broadcasts it "corporate America". All the ads of the "official Olympic sponsors", all are corporate America.
I'm sure in each country, their native team sponsors are doing the same thing the American corporations are doing.
NBC shows McDonalds and Coca Cola as the Olympic sponsors because they are Olympic sponsors from the US. They're not going to show some Canadian financial company, or French IT company, or Great Wall Motors during an American broadcast. That'd make no sense.

Aaaanyways, let's get back to topic. I don't want this to get too political.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:50 PM   #42
simona
Regular User

^ I do, with a digital recorder. Fast forward through all the ads.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:34 PM   #43
nthfinity
Regular User

^ I do, with a digital recorder. Fast forward through all the ads.
so you fast forward through all the Nike, Adidas, oakley, wilson, spalding etc. etc. logos on the players jersey's?
Old 08-19-2008, 03:05 PM   #44
Jabba
Regular User

If you have been watching the games live
Yes I have on BBC HD, which is advertising free (its funded through a license fee)

If you dont like NBC's coverage with the ads, then surely you can just change channels or not watch it at all, or even download or watch with iplayer (using a proxy) the advert free BBC coverage.

Last edited by Jabba; 08-19-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:05 PM   #45
turpija
Regular User

I'm sorry if this offends someone but what if Phelps is using illegal drugs?
just like Marian Jones did at Sydney, she got a bunch of medals become a role model a superstar and then after she made a fortune(I suspect) she admited she was cheating with drugs, I mean wtf? that's one of the reasons I don't really car much about Olympic games anymore, (almost) anyone can do that if he/she can live with that later.
turpija is offline   Reply With Quote