Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 08-19-2008, 09:53 PM   #46
SHIZL
Regular User

^yes it sucks people try to cheat at everything at life but at least the comittee is trying to due everything they can more than most other organizations. but i like sports and i watch them im not gonna stop doing everything in my life cause theres cheaters in every aspect of your life so what r u gonna due hide 4 the rest of ur life or deal with it. besides ur typing on a computer that that company cheated some other people so u might as well stop using it cause ur scared of cheaters so thats not gonna stop u from using it huh basically it sucks but ur going out on a limb pointing fingers and until he admits it or comes up positive for a test u shouldnt make accusations
SHIZL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:45 PM   #47
Mattk
Regular User

^I don't care about drugs. That's basic stuff. Where problems arise is when the gap between first and thirds world nations is widened by the advent of things like the Speedo LZR suits, which means only wealthy competitors are competitive, or the use of high-tech machines, likepressure chambers to induce physioological changes. Might as well legalise drugs.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:02 PM   #48
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mattk View Post
^I don't care about drugs. That's basic stuff. Where problems arise is when the gap between first and thirds world nations is widened by the advent of things like the Speedo LZR suits, which means only wealthy competitors are competitive, or the use of high-tech machines, likepressure chambers to induce physioological changes. Might as well legalise drugs.
Not sure if you cought it, but quite a few 3rd world countries were in the finals... all with the new high tech suites... are training at various venues in 1st country facilities, with world champions...

Olympics, I bet will eventually go back to non-water slick suites... but for now, those are the rules; and we all abide by them.

that said; athleticism is not about what is fair. Never has been. It is a means of bringing national pride to your home country as a representative of the best it can offer. Many 3rd world countries don't have as much to offer... is it any wonder?
Old 08-20-2008, 12:58 AM   #49
Topgunn07
Regular User

lol this thread should be renamed the great debate. what an awesome read and great comments supporting both sides. Personally I dont think either could be the best Olympian and the reason being Phelps had a "fast" suit and pool and Usain had a "fast" track and shoes so its inevitable that people are going to get quicker as technology progresses. There are a number of factors that technology brings into it so the "best Olypmpian" could actually be from a long time ago when comparing the conditions that they had to compete in. I'm not up on Olympic history so I wouldnt have a clue who the best one is.
But one thing I do know, it has been awesome to watch all these WR's being broken in one Olympics so China knows how to build great facilities thats for sure!
Topgunn07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:06 AM   #50
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by turpija View Post
I'm sorry if this offends someone but what if Phelps is using illegal drugs?
just like Marian Jones did at Sydney, she got a bunch of medals become a role model a superstar and then after she made a fortune(I suspect) she admited she was cheating with drugs, I mean wtf? that's one of the reasons I don't really car much about Olympic games anymore, (almost) anyone can do that if he/she can live with that later.
Innocent until proven guilty, plus Phelps will be one of the most heavily tested olympians of the games as there is a compulsory drugs test for anyone that breaks a WR.
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:01 AM   #51
turpija
Regular User

Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Innocent until proven guilty, plus Phelps will be one of the most heavily tested olympians of the games as there is a compulsory drugs test for anyone that breaks a WR.
true, but tests are done by people and people have their price so it's not that hard to bribe someone. Or maybe there is a drug that can't be discovered by their drug test(how did Mariane J got negative tests?)
turpija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:16 AM   #52
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by turpija View Post
true, but tests are done by people and people have their price so it's not that hard to bribe someone. Or maybe there is a drug that can't be discovered by their drug test(how did Mariane J got negative tests?)
Well you are starting to head down the conspiracy theory road now, so that it where I will jump off.

I will just say that in Phelps case his physical differences are a lot to do with his amazing performance, long torso with short legs, size 14 feet and in general a man’s arm span equals his height but in his case it’s 6′7″—three inches more than his height

I guess you could say that he was born to be the best swimmer ever, without needing to take anything extra to be the best, unlike Marion Jones.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:23 AM   #53
Mattk
Regular User

Marion Jones was actually never caught cheating. She just felt bad because she got away with it and look at her now. She should have just stayed quiet. Now, the testing system has been exposed as being inadequate.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:17 AM   #54
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mattk View Post
Now, the testing system has been exposed as being inadequate.
Yeh, I wonder how long it will take them to catch Bolt