Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 02-06-2006, 01:55 PM   #1
Mopsdrops
Regular User

Default Need some help on buying a car, thanks !

Hi,

well I've always wanted an integra type r and since my dad's prelude is damaged, it might be time for a new car for him. I have a question about integra's, does anybody know if their still very reliable after 100,000 km? i know honda's are very reliable but with the vtec engine and seeing some videos when integra's racing something gets damaged I start to worrie.

Thank You ! for helping
Old 02-06-2006, 02:04 PM   #2
No.1
Regular User

There was a big headline a few months ago, that Honda has never had a V-Tec engine failure ever (don't quote me on this)

The engine, therfore, should be fine, as long as it hasn't been molested or upgraded in a cheap/unreliable way.

Otherwise, the only problems you will encounter are the usual associated with higer mileage cars - suspension etc...

Good luck with getting an Integra - one of my fave affordable cars - and post some pics when you get your new "ride"
Old 02-06-2006, 04:37 PM   #3
Zot09
Regular User

Honda's have very relibale engines that are easily capable of surpassing 100,000km(around 62,100 mi correct?). I have a few friends with first and second generation integra's with well over 150,000 mi(241,000km), and they still run pretty well considering their age and the abuse put into them. Best of luck in finding a Integra, it is a nice car.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:21 PM   #4
ae86_16v
Regular User

Default Re: Need some help on buying a car, thanks !

Originally Posted by Mopsdrops
Hi,

well I've always wanted an integra type r and since my dad's prelude is damaged, it might be time for a new car for him. I have a question about integra's, does anybody know if their still very reliable after 100,000 km? i know honda's are very reliable but with the vtec engine and seeing some videos when integra's racing something gets damaged I start to worrie.

Thank You ! for helping
Definitely. Regular maintenance is the key with all cars. But Honda engines you could pretty much put gas and go.

I think the Type R engine B18C will last many miles if not using Force Induction or nitrious. Again, I see those racing vids of them blowing up because of hack job turbo chargers and NOS.

Goodluck. And remember Championship White .
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 05:05 PM   #5
Evo
Regular User

My racing car is a Honda Integra. The reason I race that car on the track and not the Evo is because it is much more reliable. I own a B18C1 which is the GSR motor the type r is B18C5. as said above me if it has no force induction then it will be very reliable, to make sure it's good do a compression test that will give you a good indication on how good the car/engine your buying.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:21 PM   #6
sameerrao
Regular User

Make sure you are not buying it from a 19-21 year old. Its bound to be tuned to an inch of its life

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 06:38 PM   #7
1zippo1
Regular User

When I first saw the topic, this must be a joke. He's only 14 years old

But now I get it, I say go for the Integra. It's definitly a good second hand sports car option!! Btw, cool that you have a dad who's into sportscars.

I love the new Integra's that they sell in the states.
1zippo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 03:42 AM   #8
ae86_16v
Regular User

^ You must be referring to the RSX. Actually I like the look of the RSX a lot and heard great reviews about the K Series engines. Might pick one up as a commuter.

Originally Posted by sameerrao
Make sure you are not buying it from a 19-21 year old. Its bound to be tuned to an inch of its life
, so true! Best advice ever. Haha.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 05:51 PM   #9
TransAm
Regular User

Originally Posted by sameerrao
These are wise words!

Call me ageist but I would never buy a sports car from a younger person unless I knew them and knew how the car had been treated.

Thenumber1's comment was quite correct AFAIK, I heard Honda have not had a VTEC system failure on a STOCK ENGINE. When I bought my CRX VTEC in 1999 the guy selling to me mentioned that VTECs are very reliable.

No doubt plenty of modded ones out there that have gone pop though!

Apparently Honda have a number of NSX motors that have passed 100k miles ok and still run very well.

Any car with 100000km on the clock though, is probably not going to be putting out its original power output. Your 195hp may now be more like 185hp.

By the way, I've driven a year 2000 S2000 with 85,000 miles on it at Autocross, seemed fine to me. This particular car gets auto-x'd every weekend.

Sorry that some of this info is not relevant to the ITR, but its all VTEC motors I am talking about here.

I've had 3 of them, the CRX, the (1997 shape) Civic VTi, and the S2000. No problems with any of them, ever. Hondas really are very good cars (also had an '89 Accord with 100k miles on it and no problems with that either... didnt spend a penny on it and did a further 20k miles)

Would I buy an ITR with 60000 miles on it? Yes, but I would look for a one owner car with FULL service history, and no accident damage.

Be patient in your search, as it may take some time for a good example to appear on the market.

There is also the DC5 of course, or the newer shape Prelude to choose from also.

The 2.2 Prelude is a good car, I nearly bought one on a number of occasions!

Good luck and enjoy your search. Remember to check the Honda and 'Teg forums for cars for sale as well as Autotrader and the dealerships.

Sometimes you see them for sale on the Civic Type R forums (UK site) so dont just stick to Integra sites.

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote