Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 01-24-2005, 09:40 PM   #16
JoeHahn
Regular User

Imagine the lack of low end torque driving around town, have to keep revving the thing. Nice engine, who'd waste it on a sedan though?
Old 01-24-2005, 10:28 PM   #17
BADMIHAI
Regular User

THIS IS RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

RED HOT! 8) A 4 L. V that revvs to 9500 rpm. is fucking impressive. And the looks aren't half bad either. If only they produced it....I'm afraid it'd be just another NSX: killer of just about anything else but totally understated and not accompanied by a "good-enough" badge.
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 10:48 PM   #18
Anonymous

Originally Posted by mindgam3
hmmm, around 150hp/litre... what an engine.... although the current record for highest power per litre is the S2000 VTEC at 130bhp/litre....

I don't know how the hell they managed that and if that's road legal at all... if it is, it will either last not very long or is an outstanding piece of engineering
Wow, you guys got a 130hp/liter over there? Here was only 120hp, now since they upped the engine to 2.2, it is really only 110 or so.

Originally Posted by ferrarif1fan89
very unlikey for these reasons:
1. Honda canceled the next-gen NSX, integra type-r, and s2000. And the Civic type-r is on shaky grounds. Why would it build a supercar-competing sedan?
2. The engine is definately not road legal.
3. To put the first honda V8 in a sean seems pretty unlikely to me. Until now, the largest engine honda has made has been it's v6's, which are used in the largest form in the Pilot suv and the Odyssey, and soon, the Ridgeline.
4. Budget.
Yeah, I am afraid you are alright. Honda desperately needs a V8 in their line up.

In regards to their race cars, maybe since they are doing well again in Formula 1, they will restart those cancelled programs?
Old 01-24-2005, 11:25 PM   #19
c_theodoros
Regular User

FPVPSI calm down with your M5 killer 8)

a)to my understanding those figures are not the production ones, if the car
makes it to production.

b)if the car makes to production i believe the figures will drastically drop
due to emmision regulations, consumption, etc.

c)as this car its build by mugen, its not a direct challenger to the factory spec.
E60 M5, wait until Hartge, AC Schnitzer, MVR, CSL (if made), Hamman, Alpina
versions of the car are out and then your "killer" can have a go with the relevant
M5

and a question: is it confirmed that its a Rear Wheel drive ??
c_theodoros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 11:26 PM   #20
Sir_GT
Regular User

Oddly, the torque is very low. I still think the German's have found the balance between torque and high-end power... Honda seems keen on pushing the latter.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:47 PM   #21
CSedl87
Regular User

Originally Posted by Sir_GT
Oddly, the torque is very low. I still think the German's have found the balance between torque and high-end power... Honda seems keen on pushing the latter.
If you look at any high-revving engine, it will always have high HP, but low torque. That's the way it's always been.
"At a given day and a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit, and you touch the limit, and you think 'okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens in you so that you can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and your experience as well, you can fly very high" - Ayrton Senna
CSedl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 11:49 PM   #22
5vz-fe
Regular User

Personally, I don't think of a Mugen TL like a Hartge M5, the "M" already is the Motorsports division of BMW, just like AMG and Mercedes.....so M5 should equal Mugen TL provided they are in the same class (which they are not). LM engine vs road legal engine also makes no sense. E60 M5 engine, tho have a very high rev limit, still has alot of torque down low, but that only becoz it is a road car engine, BMW for sure will be able to extract alot more high-end ponies if they weren't looking at the torque ratings down low.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:52 PM   #23
5vz-fe
Regular User

Originally Posted by CSedl87
Originally Posted by Sir_GT
If you look at any high-revving engine, it will always have high HP, but low torque. That's the way it's always been.
HP is work, Torque is Force.......
Work is related to distance (so rpm is part of the equation)
Old 01-25-2005, 05:40 AM   #24
FPVPSI
Regular User

Originally Posted by c_theodoros
FPVPSI calm down with your M5 killer 8)

a)to my understanding those figures are not the production ones, if the car
makes it to production.

b)if the car makes to production i believe the figures will drastically drop
due to emmision regulations, consumption, etc.

c)as this car its build by mugen, its not a direct challenger to the factory spec.
E60 M5, wait until Hartge, AC Schnitzer, MVR, CSL (if made), Hamman, Alpina
versions of the car are out and then your "killer" can have a go with the relevant
M5

and a question: is it confirmed that its a Rear Wheel drive ??
Mate...

a - I never said it was a production car
b - M is i belive BMW's in house tuner abit like Mugen..
c - i have this strange feeling your love for BMW's (evident in your avatar, and the fact that you didn't say one nice thing about this machine!) is throwing up a smoke screen to bigger and better things also to other car manufacturers.

mmm...some members are worried about the torque figures, and are positive the Legend can't certainly compete with the perfect balance concucted by the German's.. but WAIT The M5 produces the same amount of torque as the Legend, 520 newton meters to be precise, but the Bimmer is down some 83hp :shock: quite abit, oh and both produce power mutually, pretty high up in the rev range
Now if anything its the Bimmer that should produce more power considering its got 2 more cylinders and the fact thats its also one whole liter bigger in capacity...

Now for the sake of a comparision , lets look at it from a speed point of view and see how it stacks up against its pray (M5.. ), consider the following :arrow: Its 4WD, so traction would be pretty good, its also got 18's all around with 275's to further enhance traction. Its got a conventional 6 speed box which is derived from a racing car, so slick, quick gear changes are there for the taking, It's stripped out, and only the essentials are left behind, ohh and the engine weighs just 131kg's :shock: ...

Okay okay, it is stripped out and yeah that box will probably be a dog around town, but come on This car isn't designed to be a town car in which it should absorbs bumbs and rut's etc, it eats them up and you feel the road (or so one would assume) If u want a nice quite relaxing car go by the latest E-Class (320, 500) Merc, fantastic car 8) smooth, supple and is a car which you can be driven around town and goes quite nice to boot.

I belive the negativity in more then half of the post's about this beast come's from the whole "It's just a Honda" argument. I truly belive in giving credit where credit is due. A real shame then that something so childish will get in the way, a real shame

p.s - For the book's, i was at all times during the writing of this and my initial post calm Thanks for your concern...oh no hard feelings, i just want a nice agument, never had a real good one on here.......YET...

Let the war begin... :snipersmile:

[EDIT] Ohh...yeah im with you on the regulation, emmision thing, it will surly lose some power, but makes it up in other areas's listed above ^^
Old 01-25-2005, 06:17 AM   #25
FPVPSI
Regular User

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe
Personally, I don't think of a Mugen TL like a Hartge M5, the "M" already is the Motorsports division of BMW, just like AMG and Mercedes.....so M5 should equal Mugen TL provided they are in the same class (which they are not). LM engine vs road legal engine also makes no sense. E60 M5 engine, tho have a very high rev limit, still has alot of torque down low, but that only becoz it is a road car engine, BMW for sure will be able to extract alot more high-end ponies if they weren't looking at the torque ratings down low.
I must say i agree with you on the race engine v road etc...but one thing i don't is you say that this isn't in the same class as the M5...i belive it is, Mugen is Honda's in house tuner,and M is BMW's so why wouldn't they be classed in the same category
Old 01-25-2005, 07:10 AM   #26
mindgam3
Regular User

You can't really compare the two until the engine becomes road legal.... it's the EXACT same engine that's used in le man... no way will they be able to produce that amount of power from a NA 4 litre road engine.... best they could hope for is around 450bhp give or take a few horses...
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 09:41 PM   #27
c_theodoros
Regular User

I am a bit confused on the Mugen thing; when you visit www.bmw.com you can see information about the M cars, very logical since M (Motorsport) division is simply a part of BMW. Visit www.honda.com and try and find any information on any car treated by the Mugen "division" of Honda; I couldn't 8) . That makes me believe that Mugen might be owned by Honda, however it exists and works as a different company. This is what I belive after a short research.

On the cars subject I do believe that Legend LM its an interesting machine; however I belive its not that special as some guys present it.
I believe that until now its clear that the two cars can not be compared; however I would love to see the Legend making it to production and compared fared and squared to the M5.

And FPVPSI something nice for your desktop...
A proven LeMan winner... :snipersmile:

A!!! and BTW imagine this powerplant in an M5, priceless...
c_theodoros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 11:39 PM   #28
ferrari550
Regular User

This thing is cool with impressive power from the v8. i do not think it will EVER become competition for the m5, e55, rs6 etc. Not that it is not fast or anything, just the fact that it will never be in production like the others.