Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 07-10-2004, 02:05 PM   #1
godspeed06
Regular User

Default insurance!

i'll be 19 in october and because C5 prices were dropping like rocks i was thinking about getting one next summer. I just saw a guy my age who already owned a 98' C5 and had to sell it because his insurance was 500 dollars per month. fuck that. how do you young guys handle insurance?do i have any options besides buying a four banger? i have to buy gm because my dad works there and the discount is too much to just ignore, so i don't have many options .
godspeed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 02:12 PM   #2
X-ale
Regular User

Make your dad buy the car, put the insurance in his name and be the second driver
Old 07-10-2004, 02:28 PM   #3
T-Bird
Regular User

My parents pay for my insurance.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 06:17 PM   #4
godspeed06
Regular User

ha, yea i might put it in his name. is there also like "weekend driver" only coverage or something which is cheaper as well? oh yea, and im going for a used one, can't afford new even at the dropping prices.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:28 PM   #5
nthfinity
Regular User

ha, yea i might put it in his name. is there also like "weekend driver" only coverage or something which is cheaper as well? oh yea, and im going for a used one, can't afford new even at the dropping prices.
um... so if your buying a used car, what does it matter to buy 'only' gm products?

full coverage insurance is pricey for youngsters, so buy a bucket o bults (95 or so) that you can have PL PD on... it will become much more affordable, yet quite able to put a smile on your face
Old 07-10-2004, 09:14 PM   #6
godspeed06
Regular User

talk to my dad about the gm loyalty not me. i want the best car for my money. no matter what company does it. as long as my dad is helping me pay for it though, it will be gm. i guess you're right about the discount, wouldn't matter for used cars. i was thinking about a 98 which still wouldn't qualify as a pos. so i might need to get full. this sucks.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:40 PM   #7
mrzonda
Regular User

In British Columbia insurance rates suck. If you stay accident free, then you get a 5% discount on your insurance each year. I've been accident free since I started driving (4 years), so that's a 20% discount. I've had insurance on my '85 BMW 325e for a few years, and the price each year has gone up, even though my discount has as well. And they say they reward good drivers.
mrzonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 07:30 PM   #8
Garretts_turbo
Regular User

Originally Posted by godspeed06
"Weekend Driver" cars usually have a limited amount of miles that can be traveled per month or year.
if you live with your parents the best bet is to put it under their names.
if not, buy an older car and modify it.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:29 PM   #9
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by HardcoreSRT4
"Weekend Driver" cars usually have a limited amount of miles that can be traveled per month or year.
if you live with your parents the best bet is to put it under their names.
if not, buy an older car and modify it.
And heaven help you if you have a wreck out of mileage and on a weekday travelling to work...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 10:12 PM   #10
SilviaS15Cwest
Regular User

Put it under your parents names... Thats what I do. liability only on my '89 Beretta GT V6 was $55 month. Full coverage on my '96 Civic is $112 month. That aint that bad, but then again both of those cars are slow...

My toy - 1991 BMW 525i - Factory installed option limited slip, upgraded BMW rims, leather everything, Falken Ziex tires. - 189 hp, 181 tq
R/T .098
60' 2.618
330 7.311
1/8 [email protected]
1000 14.444
1/4 [email protected] ([email protected] altitude corrected.)
NEEDS TO BE FASTER! Changing a couple things and hoping for low 16's next time.
Pics at http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/529151/1
SilviaS15Cwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 10:13 PM   #11
hemi_fan
Regular User

lol, seems everyones doin the same thing. In Ontario, they rape new drivers. We got a really good DEAL and I have to pay $250 a month on my dad's 1992 1.8L Accord. Normal would be about $400/month. If I was primary on my stang, id be paying about $700/month, which would be ridiculous (ITS 14 FRIGGIN YEARS OLD, AND ONLY 225HP!!)

1990 Ford Mustang GT
Factory Rated: 225hp, 300lbs tq
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/hemi_fan
hemi_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 11:26 PM   #12
godspeed06
Regular User

looks like its going to be my "dads" vette...
Old 07-11-2004, 11:31 PM   #13
RC45
Regular User

That's if he wants your driving to impact his insurance rating...

As he will be paying for your claims for the next 10 years...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 11:45 PM   #14
X-ale
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
That's if he wants your driving to impact his insurance rating...

As he will be paying for your claims for the next 10 years...

In 10 years you'll maybe find a z06 in good condition Get yourself a toyota tercel or a honduh shivic
Old 07-12-2004, 12:10 AM   #15
troskap
Regular User

Eeew, dude. Hate to say it, Godspeed06, but you're pretty much pooched until you're 25, which is when US companies will finally drop the prices on your premium. Doesn't seem to budge for anyone under that 'golden age'. Rates also change (At least from what I've been told by some insurance folks) depending on the car, not only for how pricey they are, but factors such as accident safety, popularity with car thieves, how frequently they're involved in accidents and property damage, cost to repair and the like, which is why it seems that some cars that you would think would be cheaper are not. In other words, you'll probably need to be driving something on the range of a Geo Metro powered by a hamster before the rates get anywhere near sane....

And God forbid anything happens with that car while it's in your hands, and under your dad's name, too ....

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
40th Anniversary Daytona 500 Pace Car Replica
#812/1500
troskap is offline   Reply With Quote