Regular User

Default 993 VS. M3

What would you buy and why?
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 05:48 PM   #2
sameerrao
Regular User

993 - a real drivers car.

The M3 must be certainly be fun car but for the most part - city driving, driving at 7/10ths, etc - it is not that much more different than a 330ci.

The 993 at any speeds must be a treat under any circumstances (except perhaps in a 5 mile traffic jam).

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 06:57 PM   #3
fabro_s
Regular User

A porsche, definitely, cant compare a BMW with a Porshce, I know that the M3 is a great car, but common, a 993 is very sexy!!

"Perfezione Leggera Italiana"
fabro_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 09:21 AM   #4
N.J.
Regular User

I wouldn't knock either of them back, that's for sure

I love the -current- BMW M3 (great value! - In Australia M3=140K -vs- 911=180k) - but very simply, I'm a 911 man...993 thanks

p.s

I've got an article somewhere on the previous M3 -vs- the (993) 911.

Just for the record, the journo chose the M3 as he liked the fact is was a 'street-sleeper' or in other words - a 'wolf in sheeps clothing'.
N.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 11:02 AM   #5
lakatu
Regular User

I could be wrong but I think this post may belong under the relatively newly created Q&A Porsche Discussion section. As a result, I am afraid all of the responding posts will soon be eliminated but I think from at least a performance comparison it depends on which M3 you are referring to.

If you are referring to the E36 that was produced at the same time as the 993, then the 993 has better performance. For anyone interested there is a magazine scan that tests these two cars along with others by Car & Driver at http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12004

If you are referring to the current E46 then the I believe that the performance is basically the same.

The thing I like I like about the M3 is the practicality of a sedan combined with the performance of a sports car. It is like two cars in one.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:25 AM   #6
cooperluke
Regular User

WELL... I like the M3 very much... but I am a Porsche fan, and a nine eleven is always a nine eleven!!! Specialy the turbo!

cooperluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 11:31 AM   #7
Tomerville
Regular User

in driving, there is little difference between a 993 and 996...and who would take an M3 a 996? My point, get a 993...plus, it will be worth a great deal since it wa the last of the air cooled models. Just watch out on hot days...the engine temp. gauge WILL rise!

"Time is a versitile performer: it flies, marches, heals all wounds, runs out and will tell"
-Franklin Jones

^The definition of grip. Nav+Bose (standard) Arctic Silver on Blue, Heaven on Earth. '05 911 Turbo^
Tomerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 11:40 AM   #8
mindgam3
Regular User

Originally Posted by sameerrao
993 - a real drivers car.

The M3 must be certainly be fun car but for the most part - city driving, driving at 7/10ths, etc - it is not that much more different than a 330ci.

The 993 at any speeds must be a treat under any circumstances (except perhaps in a 5 mile traffic jam).
I dont understand how you think the M3 is for city dricing etc. The M3 is one of the most commonest track day cars you see... why? Because its a fantastic car, has a real screamer of a straight six and its handling is awesome.

As to the original post if your're comparing the E36 with the 993 id have to say 993, but if your thinking of the E46 over the 993 id go with that. You get just as much fun and performance, but with the practicality of a saloon. Tough decision though

Maybe you should've posted this in the car chat forum as some views may be slightly biased
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 11:45 AM   #9
sameerrao
Regular User

I dont understand how you think the M3 is for city dricing etc. The M3 is one of the most commonest track day cars you see... why? Because its a fantastic car, has a real screamer of a straight six and its handling is awesome.
I am refering to the sense of occasion here. I also the M3 is a great car but from inside it looks a normal saloon. Its only when you pushing that you realize that Wow this is nice.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 01:18 PM   #10
5vz-fe
Regular User

993 for sure......it's my favourite 911 body after all. Adding to the scale of course is the fabulous air-cooled Horizontal 6.......
Old 07-15-2004, 04:48 PM   #11
blinkmeat
Regular User

I am referrin to the E46 and I wanted to hear a little bit more of a biased approach to the 993 Carrera because I like it so much which is why I didn't post in the Car Chat Forum... what a difficult choice though, I hate that. If I had to decide today I'd go with the 911 myself but the M3 is oh so tempting. In the end It'd be so hard to choose.
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 09:31 PM   #12
Vansquish
Regular User

Originally Posted by SnowboarderTom
in driving, there is little difference between a 993 and 996...and who would take an M3 a 996? My point, get a 993...plus, it will be worth a great deal since it wa the last of the air cooled models. Just watch out on hot days...the engine temp. gauge WILL rise!
What makes you say that, I've driven and been driven in both at one point or another and found them to be pretty different experiences. The 993 was by far a more "special" feeling vehicle and felt the nimbler of the two as well. Looks far better too hehe.
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:43 PM   #13
bmagni
Regular User

id go with the M3 i think its a great car, if it was 1 996 id keep the porsche...

Originally Posted by sameerrao

WTF ?? bet the 330ci and the M3 theres a lot of difference !!! and the m3 doesnt look like a saloon in the inside !! man ur totally wrong...
bmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 07:45 AM   #14
Chingachgook
Regular User

I like both. The 993 is a great driver's car, more than the M3.
But I think it's more difficoult to drive if you are not used to the rear mounted engine.
The M3 is more all around car, with a great engine(but be careful, it has problems that can be DANGEROUS, look here http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/d/63711 and here http://members.roadfly.com/jason/m3engines.htm

BTW, if the problem is fixed by the dealer, it's a great car, only the brakes are not so strong after hard use.
But remember, you can become a drift expert

PS: If you have the SMGII gearbox, and use it a lot in the fastest setting, you gearbo and differential will break very very soon :cry:
Old 07-16-2004, 01:12 PM   #15
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by lakatu
I could be wrong but I think this post may belong under the relatively newly created Q&A Porsche Discussion section. As a result, I am afraid all of the responding posts will soon be eliminated but I think from at least a performance comparison it depends on which M3 you are referring to.
so true...

plz guys read the rules, you know, i won´t delete this topic now, because there are so many replies now, maybe some time later it´ll be moved into Q&A after i´ve asked the posted...
i´d have moved it earlier, but my JW time these days is about zero because of my work, so plz guys help me out a bit and post in the right section....thanks
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote