Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Porsche

Porsche Porsche - the finest German Cars

Old 10-31-2004, 08:49 AM   #1
crayzayjay
Regular User

Default Looking for a 993....

Title says it all really. I'm looking for a 993 (RHD as im in the UK). The problem is that there are few cars under 65,000 miles, which i know isnt that much for a 911 but i'm kind of hoping to find one with ~40k, and all those command a hefty premium over the higher mileage ones. It has to manual, and again they're more expensive than the Titpronic models... So really i have two questions for you guys?

1) In terms of mileage, when do you start to say "hmmm... engine may be past its best, or will need more maintenance"

and

2) How difficult / costly would it be to change transmission from Auto to Manual?

Thanks for any replies. I've loved 993's forever and now i just want to find a good one while some are still around.
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 09:01 AM   #2
dingo
Regular User

just out of curiosty how much are they going for in the UK ?
Old 10-31-2004, 09:30 AM   #3
mindgam3
Regular User

http://tinyurl.com/53lgt

have a look round autotrader and grab a autotrader and a few others from your newsagents for your local region, im sure you'll be able to find a suitable one soon

How about this one

also what variant do you want; turbo, cabrio etc etc? what is your actual budget, cant really help if we dont know how much you wanna spend

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.asp?s=79&p=1&o=

have a look on pistonheads too

if you can stretch to it, this looks stunning

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/det...p?i=31637&s=79
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 09:55 AM   #4
TT
Regular User

mindgam, for big ass links, please use http://tinyurl.com
Old 10-31-2004, 06:49 PM   #5
lakatu
Regular User

I have noticed recently that people have become careless :roll: in where they are posting their material to Porsche Central. As most of you know st-anger has created posting rules that he believes will organize the material in a way that will be useful to users of Porsche Central. See http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12420

When st-anger left he asked me to try and see that those rules were followed. While many people do not agree with those rules, I think that JW members should do what we can to follow them. We owe st-anger a great deal for the extensive sacrifice of his time to create Porsche Central and large portion of its content. Much of this sacrifice actual is unseen and goes without recognition or notice. Personally, I think it is disrespectful to not make an attempt to follow these posting rules.

In saying these things I don’t mean to assign any blame to individuals. Nor do I wish to discourage anyone from posting their material in Porsche Central. In fact I am thankful for everyone’s contributions and appreciate the efforts that you have made to share with community members here.

I realize that many times people that have posted here have gone to great effort and time to create their posts and that by posting in the “sticky” sections their posts are sometimes missed or overlooked. I can sympathize with the desire to post outside of these sections were your post will be more visible. I have discussed these and other related issue to the posting rules with st-anger and I can tell you that st-anger is also very much aware of these issues. However, st-anger, and myself included, believe that the organizational benefits outweigh the disadvantages.

I think most everyone will agree that there is a sense of friendship and community at JW and more specifically at Porsche Central. Respecting others wishes is the foundation of getting along as a community. As a result, I would respectfully request that everyone make an effort to follow the posting rules that st-anger laid out. I would appreciate others help in positively 8) encouraging people to follow these rules and in helping them better understand what they are exactly.

In an effort to avoid singling people out I will make this a “form” post that I will post each time I feel people are not doing their best to follow these rules. Additionally, I am starting with all posts on or after October 17, 2004.

In order to maintain the organizational structure posts that are made in the future will be moved to the section they should have originally been posted. In the past the moderators have taken the time and effort to ensure that the original poster received credit for the moved post. Unfortunately, we are announcing that from this point forward we will no longer be able to devote the extra time and effort to give credit to the original poster. Therefore, if you want to receive the credit and recognition for the contribution of your post please take the time to learn were the post should go. Otherwise the moderator that moves the post will receive the “credit” for the post.

Hopefully everyone will understand the intent of this post, which is to respect Porsche Centrals founder’s wishes for how JW members post in his section. If by chance your are offended by this please PM me so that I might have a chance to clarify what I am trying to say and resolve any conflict as this is not intended to offend anyone. Also, PM if you are confused as to where your post should have gone. Additionally, you could post any questions for discussion about the posting rules to the sticky that explains what those rules are at http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12420 .

Thank you everyone for your help on this matter .
Old 11-07-2004, 12:01 AM   #6
DJF1
Regular User

I kind of feel guilty for replying but since the post is still open I will give the crazyjay his answer.

First of all, the 993 been the last aircooled and all so its popular , they dont make them anymore, so the values are holding well.
I own 2 of them. One has 44000 miles and the other one before I swapped for a 3.8 L engine had 83000. The 83000 mile one happens to be my race car so you can imagine the type of miles it racked on
At a race in Putnam , I run the car with a friend of mine on back to back races and sessions. We are talking about at least 5 racing hours per day for 3 days. The 83000 mile engine consumed a tiny bit of the Mobil 1 and kept on running like a champ. I went through 2 sets of Pagid racing pads, a set of brake disks, a set of Michellin Pilot Sport Cups just to give you an idea of what type of wear we are talking about...
In short the 993 engines are bulletproof and a high mile car should not be a worry for anyone. I know of a 993 with 250000 miles and the engine is still original and never rebuilt.
When you find the car you like make sure you get a PPI , a leakdown and compression test and insure that it has full records. You should see OIL change records and OIL is the engine lifeblood.
Like I said in general the 993's are bulletproof but like anycar have wear and tear. Between 70-100K there have been noted to have to change the clutch ( about 2K), brake disks ( which are cheap) , engine seals ( cheap) . spark plugs, belts etc. You should also check the half shafts and the front tie rods. The upside of having a high miles car is that most likely the expensive wear and tear items like the clutch have already been done. In either case you should budget a good 4-5K to bring the car if necessary to absolute perfect health. A couple of nagging issues:
1. There was a recall on the wiring harness from Porsche. Make SURE that this has been changed to the new type. You can veify that by the harness number at a dealer. If not the recall is still open , make sure you do change it!!!
2. On US 96-98 993's due to the emissions regs the OBDII puts out a check engine light due to the secondary airbypass tubes been carbon clogged. Its a nagging thing more than a problem really. If you buy a 1995 it does not have that nagging problem. As a matter of fact I truly believe that a 95 is a much better value because it can be had cheaper and the performance difference in negligable. Further more a 95 can be chipped much easier and much cheaper than a 96 on as the 95 has the older OBDI ECU.
Go buy the one you like and drive it like you stole it! They love been driven hard!!!
DJF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 05:59 AM   #7
zmydust823
Regular User

omg get a 993 as fast as you can...i got a black on black one...only 21 thousand miles..1996...it surprises me more and more every time i drive it..engine sounds amazing...handlings like nothing else...and holds its value amazingly..blue book on it is 36 K i believe ...on autotrader and cars.com i have not found one that can match mine with less miles and the color combo..and those are all going for at leeast 38K to 46K...get one man..amazing investment...very cool car...im not sure if this is a true fact or not, but i heard from a mechanic , the car wastes more oil if you do not drive it hard..not sure again if thats true or not ..but this car can take such a beating...
Old 11-09-2004, 08:25 AM   #8
crayzayjay
Regular User

Lakatu > my apologies. I take it i should have posted in "Q&A Porsche discussion".

Will do my best to post in the appropriate place from here on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all let me say thanks to everyone who replied. For some reason i didnt get an email notification informing me that there had been replies in the thread, so ive just read all these posts now

Mindgam3 > i wish i could stretch to that RS. Unfortunately my budget doesnt allow it. I'm looking to spend betwwen £25 - £30k, and the variants i would be ok with are: Carrera 2 / 4, Targa, S / 4S (though usually outside my budget) and maybe a Cabrio. I can't afford a Turbo (nor the insurance on it). Oh, and it absolutely has to be manual.

DJF1 > thanks for all the information. I clearly have to read up on 993's, can you suggest an online source dedicated to the 993? but basically i understand that you're recommending a pre-varioram 993. Thanks

Some people become so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich i want to be.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:42 PM   #9
DJF1
Regular User

Originally Posted by crayzayjay

DJF1 > thanks for all the information. I clearly have to read up on 993's, can you suggest an online source dedicated to the 993? but basically i understand that you're recommending a pre-varioram 993. Thanks

www.rennlist.com
Its a Porsche dedicated site and a great 993 board.

Yes I do recommend a pre-varioram 993. For me its the best value for your money.
DJF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 06:40 AM   #10
crayzayjay
Regular User

Thanks a lot man. Hopefully i'll end up with a nice 993 like you have (twice!)

Some people become so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich i want to be.