Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 01-20-2007, 05:52 PM   #16
ViperASR
Regular User

^^^^
lol

That explains last night.....

"plus being able call your penis master chief during sex has got to be comical at least once"-gis
ViperASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 05:53 PM   #17
mevistox5
Regular User

Default Re: What is best Sports Car buy around?

All things considered I'd opt for the Lotus Exige S

The car needs to be very fast, turn and stop very well - be reasonably conservative with fuel consumption (as this car is going to be your daily driver - to work and home and the shops.)
Lotus i known for their handling. 0-60 in 4.1 sec. is not bad and you get good fuel economy out of a 1.8 engine.

The car needs to be able to hold it's own on drives through the countryside and when you take the car to a local race track, turn in decent lap times and even be able to withsatnd some drag racing abuse.
As long as they are not unpaved roads it's no problem. On the track it shines. Even Lotus expect that you take it to the track

The car needs to survive for about 7 years and be able to turn over 120,000 miles without a problem and reasonably affordable to repair and service and have full factry warranty and support for at least some of its life.
Toyota powered, still one of the best. Repairs and service are pretty normal and the car comes with full factory warrenty.

There needs to be enough space inside to take you briefcase and laptop, and about 10 shopping bags of groceries.
This is close, but might even happen. The boot is much bigger then you think and if you drive alone you can also use the passengerside. Just be creative here.

The car also needs to be a reasonably affordable to insure on a family budget and finally - be affordable to purchase. (of course budgets differ - but to offer perspective, for many a $50,000 to $100,000 purchase would be the limiting range - as if you have much more than that available, chances are you have no need for a single car as your budget will allow a car for each mood - so it may sem like an arbitrary point, but it is rather realistic afterall - more people have a limited budget than not)
I think it's a little over 50K.......

The car needs to be a new purchase (but for interest you may us a Time Machine and go back to any year you want and buy it new - but it must be able to compete with cars of that generation) [there will be a second topic for a used car at a later stage]
It's available now at your nearest Lotus dealer

It also must be usable rain or shine - in climates with snow fall, you may assume that you dont need to drive on unplowed roads.
They are used as a daily driver in North and South. Of course you must get the right rubber, but that goes for every car.

Nico
mevistox5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:00 PM   #18
obdr
Regular User

Assuming you mean "new" sports car I'd go for a 350z. Its got a big V-6 in a front-mid layout, its rear wheel drive, its a coupe, its got good balance, its not hugely overweight, and you can get one new for $24,000. On top of that, its gets decent gas mileage for what it is and there is a HUGE tuner market so you can make it truly unique if you want. You can also build up a pretty potent track car using the Z as a base if you want.

So there is my vote anyway. Sure, it aint perfect, but it sure gives alot for the price asked. Its very similar to the Z06 in that way. I guess I would call it the poor mans Z06........
obdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:03 PM   #19
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by obdr
Assuming you mean "new" sports car I'd go for a 350z. Its got a big V-6 in a front-mid layout, its rear wheel drive, its a coupe, its got good balance, its not hugely overweight, and you can get one new for $24,000. On top of that, its gets decent gas mileage for what it is and there is a HUGE tuner market so you can make it truly unique if you want. You can also build up a pretty potent track car using the Z as a base if you want.

So there is my vote anyway. Sure, it aint perfect, but it sure gives alot for the price asked. Its very similar to the Z06 in that way. I guess I would call it the poor mans Z06........
Thats a great choice and its a pity Nissan put in the engine they did - if only it was a little faster, but if you are willing to accept the drop in performance that is a great choice (well - except for the rear strut tower brace in the tri=unk )

Isn't there supposed to be a 4.5l more powerful versin on the cards? That would change everything.

But great choice.. that one slipped my ming totally.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:07 PM   #20
RC45
Regular User

Default Re: What is best Sports Car buy around?

Originally Posted by mevistox5
All things considered I'd opt for the Lotus Exige S
Nico
Another good choice, but I found the Xige never had the "oomph" it needed. Oh - and it did kinda crink my knees everytine I had to get in and out... very tight squeeze.

But a surprisingly usable daily driver it is. (just wish it was faster )
Old 01-20-2007, 06:43 PM   #21
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
I would get an old Porsche and drop a small block in it.
New car with a warranty The [used car] thread is for later
Not much choice there, a Vette with an interior job
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:47 PM   #22
PATo355
Regular User

Probably a 911 c2 , best car all around , i would opt for a corvette , but it lacks luxury , plastic panels are not up to the german standards ... so the 911 wins for me , the corvette might be faster but the c2 is better all around .

"It changes direction like a fly, grips like a barnacle and goes like a jet fighter on combat power" ( Lambo Gallardo ) .JC.
PATo355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:48 PM   #23
jadeddjay
Regular User

cayman S all the way

it is a sports car, mid engine... great performance. its got unreplicable feel and refinement for the price range.

it is small but not too small, has lots of storage space, and has good gas mileage given how relatively powerful it is, easy to park, reasonably durable for however many miles you want to drive it.

rain or shine? its got really good balance and is very predictable. its not awd but then again if you want something that feels fast you wouldnt get awd.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:50 PM   #24
sentra_dude

Hmm, well since you said there will be a used topic like this coming up I'll wait to say my first choice. I feel like used gives you much more car for your dollar. Although I'm really not interested in buying new cars (I prefer used), I'd say Subaru STi.

I've driven a normal WRX and I very much enjoyed that car. I'm not sure how big the difference in driving dynamics is between the WRX and STi though.

The car needs to be very fast, turn and stop very well - be reasonably conservative with fuel consumption (as this car is going to be your daily driver - to work and home and the shops.)
The STi should cover all those nicely. 18/24mpg EPA.

The car needs to be able to hold it's own on drives through the countryside and when you take the car to a local race track, turn in decent lap times and even be able to withsatnd some drag racing abuse.
The STi is quick enough for that, although it'd have to be a minimum of drag racing abuse.

The car needs to survive for about 7 years and be able to turn over 120,000 miles without a problem and reasonably affordable to repair and service and have full factry warranty and support for at least some of its life.
I have lots of friends with Subarus and they have all been reliable for them. No idea what warranty a STi has, but I'm sure its decent.

There needs to be enough space inside to take you briefcase and laptop, and about 10 shopping bags of groceries.
The back seats are a bit cramped, and the trunk smaller than you might expect, but you could certainly fit all that stuff.

The car also needs to be a reasonably affordable to insure on a family budget and finally - be affordable to purchase. (of course budgets differ - but to offer perspective, for many a $50,000 to $100,000 purchase would be the limiting range - as if you have much more than that available, chances are you have no need for a single car as your budget will allow a car for each mood - so it may sem like an arbitrary point, but it is rather realistic afterall - more people have a limited budget than not)
Since $50K-$100K is so completely out of my budget I'm not really even considering new cars in that price range. I believe an STi can easily be had for under $33K, which isn't too bad. Insurance is decently high but since the car was realitively cheap to begin with, its not too bad.

The car needs to be a new purchase (but for interest you may us a Time Machine and go back to any year you want and buy it new - but it must be able to compete with cars of that generation) [there will be a second topic for a used car at a later stage]
I'm not a fan of the new look so I'd go back in time to 2005.

It also must be usable rain or shine - in climates with snow fall, you may assume that you dont need to drive on unplowed roads.
Hahaha, dirt, snow, rain...that's what a Subaru lives for am I wrong.

Ok, ok...so when is the used topic?

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:23 PM   #25
Neema702
Regular User

the answer has to be either the 05' 911 Turbo or a 07' 911 Turbo, or at least for me, i def. plan on having a car at this level before 35, or else what am i working so hard for
Neema702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:29 PM   #26
nthfinity
Regular User

I've never seen a 350 Z for anywhere near 24,000 new.

of 3 coupe models available besdies grand touring, and touring

Enthusiast:
287 hp @6200 rpm
274 ft. lbs @ 4800
$30,350
3344 lbs
5 speed

Track:
300 hp @ 6400
260 ft. lbs @ 4800
$34,550
3400 lbs
6 speed

Base:
$27,650
300 hp @ 6400
260 ft. lbs @ 4800
Curb Weight 3339 lbs
6 speed

I dono If i could justify the extra price vs. a Mustang GT @ $25,140 with 300 hp, 320 ft. lbs, and 3440 lbs... its faster in the straights, and does well in the corners, and is of similar weight to the 350 Z.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:02 PM   #27
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Neema702
the answer has to be either the 05' 911 Turbo or a 07' 911 Turbo, or at least for me, i def. plan on having a car at this level before 35, or else what am i working so hard for
Hmmm.. this car cracks the $100,000 barrier... take it back to the Porsche dealer and get a GT3... try not leave with a Cayman or a C2 or C4.. they are just too slow by comparison
Old 01-20-2007, 08:05 PM   #28
RC45
Regular User

[quote="sentra_dude"]
Originally Posted by sentra_dude
Since $50K-$100K is so completely out of my budget I'm not really even considering new cars in that price range. I believe an STi can easily be had for under $33K, which isn't too bad. Insurance is decently high but since the car was realitively cheap to begin with, its not too bad.
This has to be the most common sense post ever made on JW... so many people throw around "car choices" yet in reality they could never afford them and will have to compromise anyway...

Originally Posted by sentra_dude
Ok, ok...so when is the used topic?
or your used car you better choose something as fast as an F360Cs
Old 01-20-2007, 09:17 PM   #29
Mattk
Regular User

I'm going to have to go Australian with this one and go for the FPV GT BF Mk II, which is a based on the Falcon. It has plenty of power, eight cylinders, and can handle the track well. It also has plenty of space. Ford prides itself on its service ability, and there hasn't been anything to suggest otherwise. The GT is the base model for 8 cyl FPV cars, which basically means it has fewer luxury appointments, but it still has leather seats. The best thing is that it is relatively affordable - around $60000 my money. Insurance may be expensive, but so is insurance for every other sports car.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:24 PM   #30
RC45
Regular User

^^Clever choice of cars there. The Aussie V8's are overlooked a lot - I mean look how badly everyone slammed the "Pontiac GTO"