Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 05-05-2004, 01:01 PM   #1
RC45
Regular User

Default Why the AMG and M Car brigade should start worrying...

...just when the mega-sedan drivers (E55 M5 RS6 etc) though to was safe to hit the freeway again - afterall they are all getting super-expensive V10's and V12's next year - along comes the CTS V.

I know... all y'all are going to say "too little too late"...

Well - I have something else to say Bang for the Buck...

Once the tuned CTS V's start hitting the streets, it will became quite clear, that you will need to drop ANOTHER $40,000 on your already expensive AMG or M sedan to run with the "big dog"...

But then again, they can always fall back on "the exclusivity thing" - like the Ferrari and Porsche guys do when they get their ass kicked by a Z06...

There is a little "teaser" video to go with this image...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 01:12 PM   #2
TT
Regular User

For sure the CTS is a good car, good bang for the buck, and good also in general terms, not only compared to the money, but still, I'm 100% sure such car will never be able to detrone BWM, Merc and Audi here in Europe.. traditions are strong and american manufacturer's marketing in Europe not very strong.. basically, the normal person here in Europe don't even know what a CTS could be... and when he will need a new supersaloon he will automatically thing Germany...

Maybe things will change, but it would take years for sure.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:21 PM   #3
RC45
Regular User

Well - I won't be cruising around Europe anytime soon - so I will just wait a while and then quietly slip into a CTS V just to go M5 hunting ...

For sure the Caddy is not going to "bust the european market wide open" - I have no doubt that with GM handeling the sales and marketing, the CTS V is going fail to sell well in many markets... but that is just how GM does business - with their heads up their asses while they sell a bazillion boring Buicks to rental agency's...

That will leave us with a nice supply of low priced, depreciating value CTS V's to buy on the used car market..
Old 05-05-2004, 05:01 PM   #4
RC45
Regular User

Video link --->> http://www.jabbasworld.net/dload.php...le&file_id=584
Old 05-05-2004, 05:15 PM   #5
troskap

i'd take a M or a Merc over that im not a big fan of Cadilac
Old 05-05-2004, 05:26 PM   #6
blah
Regular User

Sorry RC, but when your in the market for a super sedan, bang for the buck is not a factor. Kinda like some one looking at ferraris and porsches, and lambos going, but that damn Z06 only cost 50 grand, this wont happen. Id take a CTS V, but then id sell it for a Z06, i dont want 3 more people riding with me, those bastards will weigh my car down.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:35 PM   #7
skituner
Regular User

i would take a used bmw, audi, or jag over that thing any day

do you know if any mags have tested it?
skituner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 05:48 PM   #8
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

all i have to say is M5-4-EVER

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 06:47 PM   #9
T-Bird
Regular User

the CTS-V will be just as exclusive though since there won't be a ton of them being produced and I really like the look of it over the Audi and Mercedes but I love the new 5 so it's a toss up
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 06:48 PM   #10
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
Good car, but this is not enough to beat the M5, the RS6 or the E55 AMG... You need something more, something that only time gives, and at least in Europe, Cadillac doesn't have it. However, may be in the US is a good rival for those cars, but not in Europa... although the Caddy is cheaper, better car or whatever.
The car has a 400hp V8 as standard, 14 inch diameter brembo brakes, can pull .91G - 0-60 in 4.6s and does the ΒΌ mile in 13.1 seconds @ 107 mph and in that "slow bad handling standard form" lapped the Nurburgring faster than the current M5... at 8 min. 19 sec. (and now we shall hear that "the next M5 will kick ass" - well it isn't here yet - is it)

Considering that it is extremely easy and cheap to extract power out of the LS6 - with an extra 120hp over stock, and fancy tyres like the Beemer guys use for Nurburg laptimes - a modified CTS V could go alot faster. (and let's see you add 120hp to an M5, RS6 or E55 for $15,000)

Face the facts.. The CTS V is quicker than the current RS6, M5 and E55... --- once again, all the pretentious Europeans can claim is some kind of exclusivity - but when the flag drops, the bullshit stops...

If money becomes no object, then the "prestige" factor also becomes moot - as can be witnessed by the sheer number of Ferrari and Porsche owners that also own a Z06 - alongside their GT2's, GT3's and 360CS's.

Long gone are the days of having to pay $100,000+ just to have an excellent powered and handling automobile that is not a "specialized kit-car" - but rather a daily usable car.

Old 05-05-2004, 06:54 PM   #11
666fast
Regular User

It sure sounds nice!
I like it, I think it's a great car. The only problem is that I can't afford one!
You wouldn't have any videos of it on the gas would you? I'd love to here it scream!
Old 05-05-2004, 07:39 PM   #12
TT
Regular User

Face the facts.. The CTS V is quicker than the current RS6, M5 and E55... --- once again, all the pretentious Europeans can claim is some kind of exclusivity - but when the flag drops, the bullshit stops...
Uhm the usual M5-E55-RS6 driver is not only concerned about lateral G or Ring laptimes and I doubt that telling them that the CTS can be a couple of tenth faster to 100 km/h or a couple of seconds faster at the Ring will make them change their mind
I'm not trying to place myself on one side or another, but well, when you chose to buy an M5, you buy also BMW image and so on and as said by dani, on our market the CTS has no background..

So yes, the CTS could be a "potential" menace, but in practice, it isn't.. it's sad because it would be nice to see a new supersaloon spicing up the segment, but the CTS will probably rule in the States while in Europe nothing will change...
Old 05-05-2004, 07:50 PM   #13
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
Uhm the usual M5-E55-RS6 driver is not only concerned about lateral G or Ring laptimes and I doubt that telling them that the CTS can be a couple of tenth faster to 100 km/h or a couple of seconds faster at the Ring will make them change their mind
I'm not trying to place myself on one side or another, but well, when you chose to buy an M5, you buy also BMW image and so on and as said by dani, on our market the CTS has no background..

So yes, the CTS could be a "potential" menace, but in practice, it isn't.. it's sad because it would be nice to see a new supersaloon spicing up the segment, but the CTS will probably rule in the States while in Europe nothing will change...
LOL - I was really just refering to here

WHo knowa - they might even sell more M5's and E55's in the US than the rest of the world combined.. there are an aweful lot of rich snobby posers around here... so I would not really be worrying too much about them - since I will be out beating the snot out of my CTS-V...
Old 05-05-2004, 07:54 PM   #14
TT
Regular User

Yes of course I understand you were referring to "your" local market.. but I think that despite US market is sure more appealing to European manufacturers that Europe is to US ones, still the big German names are still considering their own domestic market as the "important" one BTW, beside the american CTS, there is another big hearted car that is trying to fight with the "classics", the Monaro although just in UK so far, but I only see good things in new models entering the fight -> only improvements will come
Old 05-05-2004, 08:13 PM   #15
tuffguy
Regular User

i can't download the video...
tuffguy is offline   Reply With Quote