Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Top Gear Discussion

Old 01-17-2008, 06:39 PM   #16
graywolf624
Regular User

99% of American cars are rubbish.
While I agree that the show will proably be rubbish since its hard to manufacturer lightening a second time, I think this statement overlooks an important point. 99percent of all cars everywhere are rubbish. The percentage doesnt change no matter what country you go too so anywhere would have to show cars worldwide.

edit: the italians have fiat, the germans have volkswagon , the brits have jag.. need i go on with the crap brands we all want to pretend dont exist.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:51 PM   #17
gangajas
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624 View Post
While I agree that the show will proably be rubbish since its hard to manufacturer lightening a second time, I think this statement overlooks an important point. 99percent of all cars everywhere are rubbish. The percentage doesnt change no matter what country you go too so anywhere would have to show cars worldwide.

edit: the italians have fiat, the germans have volkswagon , the brits have jag.. need i go on with the crap brands we all want to pretend dont exist.
I would not mind to own some crappy VW Paethon W12 or Jaguar XKR
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:00 PM   #18
rb378wby
Regular User

Thumbs up American Top Gear

Sorry You won't replace May Hammond and Clarkson even if you tried.

They should be granted sainthood for bringing us the incredible UK Show Top Gear.

Remember Pop Idol moved to the US with Simon and American Idol. AMERCIAN IDOL SUCKS!

Which is why we watch UK Top Gear. The caliber of the show is so much more than what is possible here in the US.

God Bless Top Gear!
rb378wby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:04 PM   #19
volkoff
Regular User

Originally Posted by gangajas View Post
Аctually I would't mind almost any volkswagen - most of them are great cars, maybe a bit expencive, but great. Shure some of them have a rubish drive, but the bild quality is allways very good, as in all the german cars. Maybe with the exeption of Merc, witch was poisoned and spoiled by the american Chrysler.

And what Im saying have nothing to do with the fact that Im living in Germany now)
Old 01-17-2008, 08:22 PM   #20
graywolf624
Regular User

but the bild quality is allways very good, as in all the german cars. Maybe with the exeption of Merc, witch was poisoned and spoiled by the american Chrysler.
I dont know if I agree with that. While the golf itself has a good reputation, VW has a long reputation for rubbish long term reliability. Don't confuse initial build quality with reliability and quality. Unless the US sold VWs are different I know quite a few people that wont go within 10 feet of one. Mercedes' down fall predated Chrysler, at least if you ask my uncle a former Merc mechanic.

But I digress.. One could make this same quote
About the premier car in almost any manufacturers lineup. The W12 sold for crap and the XKR has reliability problems.. That being said.. similar to the corvette for gm, the gt for ford, the viper for dodge, etc... Youd be lieing if you didnt say youd take that one car.

But that doesnt make up for the xtypes, the rabbits, the bugs, the stypes, the neons, the camrys, the fusions, and the cavaliers of the world. They still exisit and we still ignore them which was really the point of this dicussion. No matter which company makes them, they are still crap. Thats the average car buyer, whether you want to realize that or not.

The average american car is a camry.. the average european car is what? a mondeo? Yeah big jump there...
Old 01-20-2008, 06:01 AM   #21
fcukven1
Regular User

i think instead of them making another top sloppy, why dont they pay the bbc rights to broadcast top gear here in north america.
fcukven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:20 AM   #22
xbeakerx
Regular User

they do... its on BBC America. i watch every sunday at 8pm
xbeakerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:48 PM   #23
Cubits
Regular User

SBS is having a stab at making an Australian version of top gear, and unlike the American one it won't be a complete sellout. I've applied to host, shooting begins at the end of April, it'll be out near the end of the year.

Apparently it's got a nice budget, and if i can get the gig i assure you it won't be garbage. If, on the other hand, they go with a "usual suspect" like Grant Denyer, then i will personally fire-bomb their studio to save the TG name.
Cubits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:35 PM   #24
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by Cubits View Post
SBS is having a stab at making an Australian version of top gear, and unlike the American one it won't be a complete sellout. I've applied to host, shooting begins at the end of April, it'll be out near the end of the year.

Apparently it's got a nice budget, and if i can get the gig i assure you it won't be garbage. If, on the other hand, they go with a "usual suspect" like Grant Denyer, then i will personally fire-bomb their studio to save the TG name.
good luck on being hired!

but joke or not... firebombing threats on a forum isn't good form
Old 01-29-2008, 04:28 PM   #25
MidEngine4Life
Regular User

Originally Posted by m0ng0l01dz View Post
Top Gear only works because we love the presenters. We'll watch anything with one of them in it. Okay fine the cars have a lot to do with it as well, as an American I don't really need to see whats hot from Dodge, I'm interested in seeing what I wouldn't get to see otherwise, and hear JC say something outlandish, and watch as Hamsters mind deteriorates, and listen to Cap'n Slow mutter obscure checklists off before he starts a car. Jay Leno? is he willing to put his Stanley Steamer into a four wheel drift?
I agree 100%. If "Gear" is to succeed then they need to search long and hard for the perfect presenters or the show is doomed
Old 01-30-2008, 09:01 AM   #26
Cubits
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
good luck on being hired!

but joke or not... firebombing threats on a forum isn't good form
It's just there to test the NSA's system for monitoring every single transmission in the world. They do, you know...

George W Bush Terrorism Bomb 9/11!
Old 01-30-2008, 10:49 AM   #27
vexor
Regular User

Originally Posted by Cubits View Post
It's just there to test the NSA's system for monitoring every single transmission in the world. They do, you know...

George W Bush Terrorism Bomb 9/11!
Get back on topic and take the GWB statements somewhere else or I will be forced to close this thread

vexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:36 AM   #28
Cubits
Regular User

Originally Posted by vexor View Post
Get back on topic and take the GWB statements somewhere else or I will be forced to close this thread
You people aren't up on your conspiracy theories, are you? Lighten up already! :p

Ok, on topic...

Uuummm, right, the American version, "Gear".

Looks to be hopeless, eh? Unless it's hosted on PBS, it'll be hard for them to resist the cash-waving of the car companies. Since NBC has the rights, and they've already dropped the "reality TV" phrase, it is all but doomed. Expect it to be hosted by former reality show contestants (you know, qualified people, like winners of big brother...).

For the Australian version, i want to be partnered up with a summernats enthusiast (ie, ute owner), and maybe someone with a background in design. Ah, the fun we'll have at each other's expense.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:57 AM   #29
blue8
Regular User

Speculation: Jay Leno or Jerry Seinfeld to host US Top Gear
If you found the news that NBC had struck a deal for an American version of Top Gear promising, the latest speculation on candidates for hosting the show should have you salivating. The original British program on the BBC uses a mix of automotive journalists and television personalities to make the dynamic and beloved team of hosts. Since Clarkson, May and Hammond nixed the idea of hosting the American show as well, BBC producers then began interviewing American automotive journalists - um, I'm still waiting for my call - in an effort to imbue the new show with some "journalistic credibility", but Inside Line reports that the BBC called several of the candidates this week and told them they were taking a "celebrity direction".

The development has inevitably led to speculation over who NBC could sign to host the show, and like a racing team looking for a new driver, it all comes down to availability. Jay Leno's contract to host the Tonight Show, it has been pointed out, is set to expire next year, and his credentials as a certified car nut are unimpeachable. Another candidate is Jerry Seinfed, an avid Porsche enthusiast who's got a lot of time on his hands since his sitcom went off the air. Both are huge celebrities and genuine gear-heads with long-standing relationships with NBC. We also hear Scott Speed is available if they're looking for The Stig's American cousin... or a new Captain Slow.

blue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:57 AM   #30
xbeakerx
Regular User

these are the people i would call to take the spots of the EUR Top Gear in America...

Jay Leno - Jeremy Clarkson
Tim Allen - Richard Hammond
Jason Priestley - James May
Rhys Millen - The Stig

just an idea, all of them are car guys and they can all drive the piss out cars

Last edited by xbeakerx; 02-01-2008 at 03:01 AM.
xbeakerx is offline   Reply With Quote