Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 07-17-2005, 06:58 PM   #31
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
You mean the 1LZ vs 2LZ options?
i believe thats the one; however the magazine (still looking) is quite old... a 'vette' quarterly magazine
Old 07-17-2005, 08:28 PM   #32
graywolf624
Regular User

take note gray - just cause you know marketing doesn't mean you gonna know what's best for the product and enthusiasts
Lol.. Ill remember that.

Sportauto use a professional driver. He been driving Rallye and racing cars for more than 20 years. He hold officiell the record for fastest sërieproduced car at the ring, Carrera GT. Sportauto and Horst von Saurma is wellknown around the world.
How about we reword that then.. A professional that races corvettes for a living and wins 24 hr races in there.. Or a guy who sat in the car for a few laps.

Aka Magnussen versus magazine writer.. I respect that hes not your average hack, but he aint winning lemans either. Also yet again at the end of the day using a different driver is never consistant. http://www.corvetteracing.com/driver...agnussen.shtml
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 09:42 PM   #33
godspeed06
Regular User

Originally Posted by 1zippo1
Originally Posted by 1zippo1
Originally Posted by T-Bird
so zippo were you going to respond or just quote something for the hell of it?
Damn, don't know what the hell happend but I did reply and didn't just quote it. I was away for a while, maybe that's the reason.

Anyway, what I wanted to say was that I'm also waiting for the test of Sport Auto. I find the times you mention of the ZO6 highly unlikely. I'm not expert, but that's my oppinion.
So now you think the car is not even capable of a 7m43s?

WTF?

:roll:
Nope I don't. Name a couple production cars that breached the 7m45 mark.
do the same thing for production cars that have 505 hp, and weigh on the low side of 3100 pounds and are as rigid as the c6 z06... dave hill already stated this number. he released it to the public. its basically a binding contract that the z06 can and did in fact lap the ring in that time. this must be correct for legal reasons. how can you possibly be skeptical :roll
godspeed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 02:56 AM   #34
Just_me
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624
take note gray - just cause you know marketing doesn't mean you gonna know what's best for the product and enthusiasts
Lol.. Ill remember that.

Sportauto use a professional driver. He been driving Rallye and racing cars for more than 20 years. He hold officiell the record for fastest sërieproduced car at the ring, Carrera GT. Sportauto and Horst von Saurma is wellknown around the world.
How about we reword that then.. A professional that races corvettes for a living and wins 24 hr races in there.. Or a guy who sat in the car for a few laps.

Aka Magnussen versus magazine writer.. I respect that hes not your average hack, but he aint winning lemans either. Also yet again at the end of the day using a different driver is never consistant. http://www.corvetteracing.com/driver...agnussen.shtml
Only fools disrespect Sportauto and Horst. You Said Sportauto didnt have a professionel driver. Obviosly you were 100% wrong. The best part, he's the only driver doing the supertests.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:51 AM   #35
Guibo
Regular User

To clear some things up, I don't think Dave Hill ever specified a 7:56 time at the 'Ring for the C6. That time comes from John Heinricy's testing of the C5 Z06 Commemorative Edition, and was reportedly "leaked" by Corvette product manager Harlan Charles in an interview with a Vette enthusiast magazine. The official line from GM was that that time was "under 8 minutes". Dave Hill has subsequently verified that time.
As of December 2004 (well after the 7:56 time attributed to the C6 was erroneously spread through various media), Dave Hill did say:
"The last time we ran for time was on the 2004 Z06, which recorded one lap of 7'56". The 2005 would not be quite as good. We will be there in April with a production built Z06, and hope to get a good time for that one."
http://www.crossedflags.com/nuke/htm...article&sid=70

The 2005 he's referring to is obviously the C6, and he is clearly saying that there had been no time recorded for the C6.

Now, 7:40 vs 7:43 for the C6 Z06. This was posted by the Vette owner in Germany who broke the news:
"REKORD WAR NICHT DRIN
Gerade erst GT1-Klassensieger in Le Mans, gab Jan Magnusson kurz darauf am Nürburgring Gas. Mit der Corvette Z06 sollte der Rundenrekord fallen - knackige Werbung für die neue Sport-Corvette. Doch mehr als gute 7.40 Minuten war nicht drin. Der Nordschleifen-Rekord für Serienautos hält weiterhin ein Donkervoort RS: 7.18.01!

Let me try to translate:

RECORD WAS NOT POSSIBLE
Just won the Le Mans GT!-Class, Jan Magnusson pushed the pedal at the Nürburgring. With the Corvette Z06 should the old record fallen - spicy advertisement for the new Sport-Corvette. But more than just(!) 7 minutes 40 seconds was not to archive. The Nordschleifen(northern track)-Record for not modified cars is still with the Donkervoort RS: 7.18.01!

Notice the "just more than 7:40" bit. 7:43 = "just more than 7:40"? Sure, why not? In other words, 7:40 was not specifically mentioned by anybody as a time for the Z06, but taken completely and in context the time appears to be "just more than 7:40."
Guibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 08:39 AM   #36
RC45
Regular User

^^^ Although the 7m40s was also hinted to by some insiders we know - insiders who did NOT get the 7m40s from the same source...

And as to the "C6 time reported by Dave Hill" - there are some folks who swear blind to being at the banquet where Dave Hill announced the C6 did 7m56s time.

I will post that whole scenario one day.

Needless to say there is more heresay and controversy surrounding 3 seconds in the lifetime of one preproduction Corvette, than all th gossip combined for some Italian cars ...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 09:23 AM   #37
pharzo
Regular User

Needless to say there is more heresay and controversy surrounding 3 seconds in the lifetime of one preproduction Corvette, than all th gossip combined for some Italian cars ...
Maybe because they don't need to stir up stuff like this to sell cars :prr:

RC45 about the Z06:
It is also a cheaply made, fast to depreciate, badly service hunk of GM crap.
pharzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 09:38 AM   #38
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by pharzo
Maybe because they don't need to stir up stuff like this to sell cars :prr:
Nice thought, but the Corvette being the longest running single performance car model in the history of Automobiles, with the most enthusiastic and active "family" the world over.. NONE of the interest is stirred up my the manufacturer - it's all generated, supported and answered by the family members...

But we understand how this loyalty to the car's heritage could be confused with loyalty to General Motors.. hehe
Old 07-18-2005, 10:01 AM   #39
ae86_16v
Regular User

Late to the game here. . . but what's the Blue Devil?
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:12 AM   #40
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Guibo
To clear some things up, I don't think Dave Hill ever specified a 7:56 time at the 'Ring for the C6. That time comes from John Heinricy's testing of the C5 Z06 Commemorative Edition, and was reportedly "leaked" by Corvette product manager Harlan Charles in an interview with a Vette enthusiast magazine. The official line from GM was that that time was "under 8 minutes". Dave Hill has subsequently verified that time.
As of December 2004 (well after the 7:56 time attributed to the C6 was erroneously spread through various media), Dave Hill did say:
"The last time we ran for time was on the 2004 Z06, which recorded one lap of 7'56". The 2005 would not be quite as good. We will be there in April with a production built Z06, and hope to get a good time for that one."
http://www.crossedflags.com/nuke/htm...article&sid=70

The 2005 he's referring to is obviously the C6, and he is clearly saying that there had been no time recorded for the C6.

Now, 7:40 vs 7:43 for the C6 Z06. This was posted by the Vette owner in Germany who broke the news:
"REKORD WAR NICHT DRIN
Gerade erst GT1-Klassensieger in Le Mans, gab Jan Magnusson kurz darauf am Nürburgring Gas. Mit der Corvette Z06 sollte der Rundenrekord fallen - knackige Werbung für die neue Sport-Corvette. Doch mehr als gute 7.40 Minuten war nicht drin. Der Nordschleifen-Rekord für Serienautos hält weiterhin ein Donkervoort RS: 7.18.01!

Let me try to translate:

RECORD WAS NOT POSSIBLE
Just won the Le Mans GT!-Class, Jan Magnusson pushed the pedal at the Nürburgring. With the Corvette Z06 should the old record fallen - spicy advertisement for the new Sport-Corvette. But more than just(!) 7 minutes 40 seconds was not to archive. The Nordschleifen(northern track)-Record for not modified cars is still with the Donkervoort RS: 7.18.01!

Notice the "just more than 7:40" bit. 7:43 = "just more than 7:40"? Sure, why not? In other words, 7:40 was not specifically mentioned by anybody as a time for the Z06, but taken completely and in context the time appears to be "just more than 7:40."
Here is one of the sources that helped spread the "C6 7m56s" rumour.

Originally posted by rockettc
This is the history of the C6 7:56 time as compiled by the author (me) and was on another forum and has been somewhat modified:

May 2004 at Cruise-in V, Dave Hill states that a pre-production C6 went 7:56 at the Ring.

August 2004 AutoCar says C6 went 7:56 at the Ring.

Dec 2004 in the "Ask Dave Hill" area of www.crossedflags.com Dave is quoted as saying that the 2005 C6 time would not be quite as good as the C5 Z's 7:56. He didn't say it could or should be as fast as the C5 Z's 7:56, he said it wouldn't (or wasn't perhaps) be as fast. He also didn't say when this track test was performed. As Dave Hill said:

So the "official" time for a pre-production C6 is 7:56 according to what Dave said in May 2004 at the Cruise-in. The "official" time for a 2005 (production?) C6 according to "Ask Dave Hill" from Dec 2004 is slower than 7:56 but we really don't know what that time is.

Also from the "Ask Dave Hill" article:

"We have been travelling to Germany with C5 prototypes and C6 mules and prototypes every year, sometimes twice per year, since 2000."

So unless GM went to the Ring twice in 2004, these two different quotes from May and Dec from Dave Hill could be describing the SAME C6 track test. Note though, Dave Hill is talking about prototypes and not production models.

Also, where did Autocar 2004 August get its information that the C6 went 7:56? Production or pre-production?

It's possible that GM has driven the C6 for time again at the Ring but I doubt it. The main focus now will be on C6Z times.

I too am tired of discussing this. When it comes up again I'm just going to ignore it. Well, at least I'm going to try!
So - you can see how 153 lap times for the same 3 cars can hit the Net and get a life of their own...
Old 07-18-2005, 06:32 PM   #41
Toronto
Regular User

Originally Posted by ae86_16v
a wanna b F430cs
err... I mean a over hyped sports car with "racing" in its blood and stonger v-8 under the hood
Old 07-18-2005, 06:36 PM   #42
5vz-fe
Regular User

Just agree to sell you soul and u will see him The usual red one is on summer holiday.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:41 PM   #43
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Toronto
Originally Posted by ae86_16v
a wanna b F430cs
err... I mean a over hyped sports car with "racing" in its blood and stonger v-8 under the hood
It's not a wannabe anything - the C6 Z06 will already blow the F430CS back to spaghetti-ville.

It will simply be a factory warranteed tuner car - tuned by GM, just like the thousands of other tuned Z06's currently out there at the moment.

See - while you wannabe snobs and posers dream about your f-cars - we true enthusiasts embrace and drive ours.

Old 07-18-2005, 07:13 PM   #44
SFDMALEX
Regular User

See - while you wannabe snobs and posers dream about your f-cars - we true enthusiasts embrace and drive ours.

THanks for the insults, too bad it's not my thing to talk shit.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 07:15 PM   #45
5vz-fe
Regular User

lol...here we go again