Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 06-20-2005, 04:16 AM   #1
RC45
Regular User

Default C6 Z06 runs 7:40 at Nurburgring...

The C6 Z06 has been shipped to Germany for some Nurburgring testing...

Remember, the C5 Z06 pulled of a 7m56s lap.

You need huge horse power (like a CGT) to eat up DottingerHohe, the long back straight... you are on full throttle for about a minute (if I remember correctly) so if you cannot run up to a huge top speed and hold it all the way from Galgenkopf to past Tiergarten, you can see a very fast lap become a mediocre lap quite easily - witness the results of the Exige and Elise that tear up the mountain seciton, but then give away 20 seconds as they run down the endless straight at 150mph max speed.

That being said, we know the C6 Z06 will at least match (hopefully beat) the C5 Z06 through the most challenging twisty bits, like holding good speed through the Hocheichen and Hatzenbach complexes and being able to carry a fast speed up and through Flugplatz.

This will set the C6 up for a good run down the hill to Schwedenkreuz.

Again - we are confident the C6 Z will hold it's own in a 1G+ attack on Aremburg and allow a good solid charge down Fuchsrohre.

For sure the challange of getting through Adenauer-Forst quickly and smoothly is easily done - knowing how well the C5 Z managed it - The run from Metgesfeld to Bergwerk will be the same at least - hopefully a good 2 seconds quicker (gaining at each turn and on each straight through the section).

The extra 100hp for sure will allow the C6 Z to pull some serious speed up the mountain from Kesselchen, carry a good head of steam up to and through Angst Kurve - and again the chassis will be up to quickly getting from the Karussell through Hohe-Acht and on to Wipperman in a good time.

The run from Eschbach, down Pflanzgarten I and II up to Schwalbenschwanz can be quickly done if you have a great chassis and immense power on tap - something we know the C6 Z posses.

Based on an assumption that the numbers published everywhere have some basis in fact - and looking at the extra horspower and better chassis - I estimate the C6 Z06 will be 1 full second ahead of the C5 by Aremburg, and have shaved another second by Kallenhard.

Add to this the 2 seconds gained from Metzgesfeld to Bergwerk - and another 3 seconds by the time they reach the Karussell.

I will say another 3 seconds won from Karussell to Kleiner Karussell - and another 4 seconds as the C6 Z reaches 190mph down Dottinger-Hohe, which helps shave another 1 second off by the time they get back to T13.

That's abotu 15 seconds quicker. 7m41s by my reconing.

However, I am assuing that the C6 Z is an incremental ratchet up in the handling department from the C5 Z - if the C6 Z is really a great leap in chassis tuning, then you could see it carrying significantly more speed through some of the more technically complex sections - resulting in far greater straightaway speeds - as it would be exiting turns at higher speeds, with 100hp more on tap.

But I don't see the C6 Z pulling off a Carrera GT style brute force lap - because we don't have the HP to run 200mph down Dottinger-Hohe - or the chassis to run 170mph down Fuchsrohre or Pflanzgarten).

Any how, I wrote way more than I intended when I decided 7m41s is going to be my estimate.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 06:11 AM   #2
Just_me
Regular User

Lets see what Sportauto can do. I know Sportauto drove the new Corvette around hockenheim, the result will be shown in 3 weeks.

RC45 is there a link for this info?
Old 06-20-2005, 08:20 AM   #3
RC45
Regular User

WHich info? They (GM) haven't run the C6 Z06 round the 'Ring yet, but they did ship the cars out 2 weeks ago.

And now that we won Le Mans, they will just want gloat any chance they get...
Old 06-20-2005, 08:36 AM   #4
Just_me
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
WHich info? They (GM) haven't run the C6 Z06 round the 'Ring yet, but they did ship the cars out 2 weeks ago.
so this is your own words, your own predictions ?
Old 06-20-2005, 08:40 AM   #5
Ghostbat
Regular User

Any how, I wrote way more than I intended when I decided 7m41s is going to be my estimate.
To Just_Me. I think "my estimate" means that it's RC45:s prediction :roll:
Ghostbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 09:05 AM   #6
Just_me
Regular User

Originally Posted by Ghostbat
To Just_Me. I think "my estimate" means that it's RC45:s prediction :roll:
Smartass
Old 06-24-2005, 03:01 AM   #7
RC45
Regular User

I have just concluded some very scientific calculations and have a number for the C6 Z06.

If the runflats have more grip than the GY Eagle F1's then I am predicting 7m40s flat for the C6 Z06.

The basis for my predictions are as follows:

With a 405hp, stock tyre (SM), stock suspension, 6600rpm redline Z06 in GT4 I lapped 7m56s.

I then created a C6 Z06 mule. 504hp, stock but softer tyre(SS), sport suspension (for height adjustability), 6600rpm (I still need to find a mod combo that will give me 7000rpm redline) and upgraded brakes.

This mule is easily lapped in 7m45s - and with the extra 400rpm in each gear will no doubt make up 5 seconds over the entire lap (if not more).

I left the weight the same (because the cars do weigh the same) and remember the FRC profile is not as stable or slippery as the Coupe profile.

All in all IF the new runflat tyres have more grip than the current tyres 7m40s is very very possible - if however these run flats are the same or less grippy, what I experienced was a car that was over powering it's tyres ate any and every turn.

So - place your bets...

Mine is for 7m40s
Old 06-24-2005, 03:49 AM   #8
komotar
Regular User

I think 7min40 is pushing it....

I'd go for 7min49.....maybe.

we'll see

http://avtomoto.siol.net/
komotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 04:07 AM   #9
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by komotar

we'll see
Not a chance - seeing a practicle example of what 100 extra hp, better brakes and stickier tyres does shows that with that improvement making up 16 seconds on the lap is not that hard.

Any way - I stick to my prediction and offer my proof..

C6 Z06 Mule - 505hp & 6600rpm redline, 3100lbs, improved brakes tyres and suspension.
7m45s
Aniticipate 5s improvement when engine revs to 7000rpm.

Control C5 Z06 - 405hp & 6600rpm redline, 3100lbs, standard brakes, tyres and suspension
That's a match to the real world numbers...
Old 06-24-2005, 05:13 AM   #10
komotar
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by komotar

we'll see
Not a chance - seeing a practicle example of what 100 extra hp, better brakes and stickier tyres does shows that with that improvement making up 16 seconds on the lap is not that hard.

Any way - I stick to my prediction and offer my proof..

C6 Z06 Mule - 505hp & 6600rpm redline, 3100lbs, improved brakes tyres and suspension.
7m45s
Aniticipate 5s improvement when engine revs to 7000rpm.

Control C5 Z06 - 405hp & 6600rpm redline, 3100lbs, standard brakes, tyres and suspension
That's a match to the real world numbers...

I'd like to belive you, because I really like the new Z06. Great looks and handling.

I'm stil sceptic about your theory, but I'm hoping for the best....

http://avtomoto.siol.net/
komotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 05:50 AM   #11
SnakeBitten
Regular User

So based on your research in GT4 you think it will do 7:40....LMAO snicker snicker.

I think the C6 Z will be hard pressed to beat the old GT2 Porsche's number of 7:44. I dont know where you even begin to mention the CGT in this comparison. It will be more comparable to the GT2 times. It will no know doubt be faster than the old Z.

If it does do a 7:40 or better like you predict it would be nothing short of incredible, and may put an end to the "American cars a straight line cars" bs.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:42 AM   #12
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by SnakeBitten
So based on your research in GT4 you think it will do 7:40....LMAO snicker snicker.
BTW - I have yet to be wrong with any prediction made were GT4 has been used to validate a theory. SO make of it as you will.

I think the C6 Z will be hard pressed to beat the old GT2 Porsche's number of 7:44. I dont know where you even begin to mention the CGT in this comparison. It will be more comparable to the GT2 times. It will no know doubt be faster than the old Z.
I bet if Porsche or Ferrari showed up with a car that had 100 extra horse power, more refined chassis and better brakes and tyres than the previous model, you and everyone else would have no problem accepting an improvement.

BTW do you even know how much track distance is represented by 5 second?

If the test is conducted from the T13 start/finish, then 5 seconds clock time translates to about 15 car lengths of track distance (from the last cornet to the start finish line.

If it does do a 7:40 or better like you predict it would be nothing short of incredible, and may put an end to the "American cars a straight line cars" bs.
Typical cockassed bias showing through here,

The current car is already faster than a whole bunch of cars - including matching the 360CS time - yet gets no credit for being as good as it is. :roll:

Believe what you will - I know I will be laughing at and not with a lot of disbelievers...

[edit] And just like you really don't rely on a dyno to provide final numbers, but rather as a tool to quantify and validate improvements - I am using GT4 as a mechanism to quantify and validate the impact certain material improvements can have.

As it is we know the current cars results - we know the current car's -- we also now the new cars specs and are able quantify these deltas. The only question remaining is how do these changes translate into improvements.

This method is as good as any other laymen's method you can think of - and in fact may even be better than a pure speculative guess
Old 06-24-2005, 09:56 AM   #13
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by bmw06m6
What did the Enzo Ferrari do around the ring?
For fear of embarrassment and ridicule, Ferrari declined to offer any official timed lap results - it is well known that they do not like to be "compared to other cars".

It seems Porsche and now GM are the only 2 manufacturers that have been willing to provide official numbers.

The rest are all relying on the likes SportAuto and AutCar etc.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:29 PM   #14
blah
Regular User

Ill give it a 7.45
Old 06-24-2005, 02:37 PM   #15
sentra_dude

It will be interesting to see what it finally does put down, and hopefully they will mount a camera inside the car, Best Motoring style for us, so we can see how the lap goes.

Does anyone know if the SRT-10 has been run at Nordschleife by any of the German mags, and what time it put down if so?

I think the Porsche GT2 is an excellent car to compare it to, they both have similar power (I'm sure the GT2 was under-rated from the factory with '456hp' and then '483hp' ) and similar weight. The Porsche would probably be at a slight advantage in terms of low speed grip, braking and overall chasis tuning, since Nordschleife is basically Porsche's test track, and they have way more experience than Chevy there. The C6 Z will probably make up some time on the GT2 on the long straight sections, and may have better tires and more friendly handling so I'm guessing almost exactly the same as the GT2, maybe a little bit faster.

I don't think I can go all the way down to 7:40 with RC...but 7:44 or so sounds good to me.

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote