Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 05-28-2004, 01:53 PM   #31
nthfinity
Regular User

i do believe RC posted that the Z06 hit it in 7:54, or 7:56
Old 05-28-2004, 02:37 PM   #32
RC45
Regular User

Default Re: 600hp CTS Super V confirmed? Bye-bye M5/E55/RS6... ;)

Originally Posted by Sm@ck
Originally Posted by RC45

You obviously have not driven the Z06 - unlike the regular C5 laps the Nurburgring faster than any of the cars you have mentioned..

So no need to wait for the C6 to beat em.

The CTS-V has also already lapped the 'ring faster than the M5 ... so you were saying?
CAn you please reference the laptime? Otherwise it is just pure speculation, and does not help your argument. I could only find this one made in 1997, and normally this site is up to date:
Horst von Saurma (D) Chevrolet Corvette, 344 PS, 1505 kg
1997-07-01, sport auto Supertest 20.000 km 142.615 km/h 8 40 000 (thats 8 minutes and 40 seconds)
http://nurburgring.de/?rubrik=rekorde&order=Distance

since this was in 1997, I guess this is the old C5.

Anyway I am sure the car will be very potent, just find it odd they would limit it to 500. I guess they are using this car more as a marketing gimmick...
The 7:56 is the official time GM recorded at the 'ring with John Heinrichy at the wheel, feel free to call the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green Kentucky for validation.

And unlike the BMW and Porsche times posted, the car was wearing non-shaved STOCK tyres (the same ones it is sold with) and STOCK suspension settings....

1997 to 2004 - thats 7 years where I come from - I am sure you have no problem believing that in 7 years Porsche, BMW, Audi and even Mercedes would have made major improvements even within the same model range - why then is it so hard for you to believe that the Corvette is capabale fo similar change?

Oh - and THANK YOU for pointiong out he HUGE difference between the Z06 and the C5 Coupe... 7:56 vs 8:40 --- that is why I refer to the stock C5 Coupe as the "hairdresser's" car...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 02:48 PM   #33
Sm@ck
Regular User

I am sure it is a lot faster than the old car RC45, I am just a bit sceptical about manufacturer claims on performance of any kind. These figures are practically never reached by outsiders, thats why I prefer independant sources. Anyway I have no beef with the corvette (especially the new one), sure the interior could be better, but nothing stops me from going to a tuner, and throwing 10$ grand at improving it. The exterior of the corvette has always appealled to me, very sexy.

I have to say though, if they make that Ford (GT? not the GT40, you know the muslce car) I think that will be my new favorite american car. Provided they dont change it too mcuh from the concept and add cup holders!
Sm@ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 02:50 PM   #34
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Sm@ck
I am sure it is a lot faster than the old car RC45, I am just a bit sceptical about manufacturer claims on performance of any kind. These figures are practically never reached by outsiders, thats why I prefer independant sources. Anyway I have no beef with the corvette (especially the new one), sure the interior could be better, but nothing stops me from going to a tuner, and throwing 10$ grand at improving it. The exterior of the corvette has always appealled to me, very sexy.

I have to say though, if they make that Ford (GT? not the GT40, you know the muslce car) I think that will be my new favorite american car. Provided they dont change it too mcuh from the concept and add cup holders!
Remember John Heinrichy is NOT a GM employee - he is the C5 GT and C5R race car driver - don't hate on the guy because he knows how to drive Corvettes fast...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 02:58 PM   #35
nthfinity
Regular User

somehow, Ford decided to make the GT (not GT40, that name is copywritten, and owned by a company somwehere in the UK) besides, the GT is 44" tall, not 40 lol
production specs \/\/\/\/\/\/\/
http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9442
Old 05-28-2004, 03:08 PM   #36
ferrari550
Regular User

i do not care how much power they throw in that thing, i would still rather have the m5.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:09 PM   #37
Sm@ck
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
somehow, Ford decided to make the GT (not GT40, that name is copywritten, and owned by a company somwehere in the UK) besides, the GT is 44" tall, not 40 lol
production specs \/\/\/\/\/\/\/
http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9442
Thanks nthfinity but I actually meant the Ford Mustang GT-R
http://www.motorworld.net/forum/show...941&highlight=

But I like the Ford GT too, even though it will be a little beyond my league for quite a while.
Sm@ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 10:27 PM   #38
nthfinity
Regular User

But I like the Ford GT too, even though it will be a little beyond my league for quite a while.
lol, too true here as well. the GT-R concept was primarily done by Roush... if thats any hint as to where it will go
Old 05-29-2004, 01:28 AM   #39
gtx28
Regular User

Most people who buy a Z06, do not care about the interior, they just care about that V-8 and that suspension
I dont know about that the C5 vettes, including the Z06 are very comfortable, and very all around enjoyable cars. The longest ive ever been in one was for around 4 hours, and the z was an excellent ride(140mph cruize that was alot of fun hehe). There are a few things lacking but all in all it is an impressive car if you take the time to look and drive one. No one seems to look at history in these arguements(or diffence or oppinion whatever.) In the past foreign manufacturers in many cases were far from the best. In fact if you visit HongKong today what do the wealthiest business people ride in? Not BMW or Mercedes, They ride in Cadillac, and Lincolin always black too lol at least that was my experience. I guess its a matter of perspective. Either way I like what Cadillac is comin up with, the CTS V is a really fun drive, Im lookin forward to the new super V, and I havent driven the XLR, and I also lookin forward to the V series XLR if its released. Lots of great cars from GM comin up!!!!!
gtx28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 02:35 AM   #40
blah
Regular User

Ive ridden in and revved up a XLR, the seats are coozy enough, but it still deserves to die cuz its a Caddy! Jaguar Fo Life!
Old 05-29-2004, 05:26 AM   #41
tanelvali
Regular User

I do believe that in Europe the M cars are still very dominent and only very few buyers want to get something else..
tanelvali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 10:25 AM   #42
nthfinity
Regular User

I do believe that in Europe the M cars are still very dominent and only very few buyers want to get something else..
not that im living in Europe, but im sure there are enough people who let the numbers do the talking
V8
6 speed trans
5 seating copacity
4 doors
3 fewer cups of coffee needed
200mph? ?
Old 05-30-2004, 11:46 PM   #43
Schwalbe

not that im living in Europe, but im sure there are enough people who let the numbers do the talking
I share your enthusiasm nthfinity, because I'm sure this CTS-V will have success.

V8
6 speed trans
5 seating copacity
4 doors
3 fewer cups of coffee needed
200mph? ?
I buy
Schwalbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 10:30 PM   #44
nthfinity
Regular User

today, i spoke with a GM engineer heavily invovled in the production of the Cadillac CTS-V, and Super-V.

he suggested today that even with the mini "ring" at the Milford, MI proving grounds, he sees even more testing abroad in Germany.

he also suggested the car will makes its debut in the January NAIAS in 2005; and very few have seen the car; which is under heavy development, and suggested the hood scoop is for cooling porposes; but wouldnt devulge much information on the details of the engine, or if it is developed by in-house SLP, or external such as how the ZR-1 engine was produced. Full limited production is more then just a pipedream.

"it truly is an amazing car, ive driven it around the Nordschiefe" 8)
Old 06-22-2004, 10:34 PM   #45
hemi_fan
Regular User

lol... they just keep pumpin out more and more horse power
next thing u know, they'll be 'confirming' a new model, my guess is it will be called the "Extra-Super-V" and they'll tack on another 200hp to make an ever 800... lol

But this car will be awesome, and exclusive. Id like to see it race other saloons.

1990 Ford Mustang GT
Factory Rated: 225hp, 300lbs tq
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/hemi_fan
hemi_fan is offline   Reply With Quote