Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 12-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #1
jeff-

Default Free SAFE is Fast Online Racing Education Video Program

It's been a while since I've posted here, but I'd like to share this great site I've been involved with throughout this past year.

Funded by the FIA Institute for Safety and Motorsport Sustainability, www.safeisfast.com aims to help drivers of all ages to become faster, more skilled, professional and above all safe.

You get to hear it from the best people in the business, Chip Ganassi, Roger Penske, Dario Franchitti, Bill Auberlan, Joey Hand, Ryan Briscoe, and many more.

Categories include: Mental & Physical Preperation, Advanced Driver Techniques, Marketing and Sponsorship, Career Development, Driver Safety, Race Car Dynamics and more.

It's completely free, but for the next couple of days you'll need to register to view the videos. The only thing we send to your E-Mail are updates when we add new videos, you can log in immediately after creating an account.

If you are still unsure about registering, wait another week and the videos will be available without registering. This is something we decided to change after a few months of going live. We currently have over 2000 people registered.

Hope you guys can benefit from program! www.safeisfast.com
Old 12-14-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
RC45
Regular User

But what is their angle? Why does the organization exist?

I always like to follow th emoneytrail before I get to enthused about "new" stuff

Is it an attempt to bring courtesy and sportsmanship back into pro competition?
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
jeff-

The Road Racing Drivers Club (www.rrdc.org) was created way back when there wasn't much safety in racing. Their goal was to help young drivers along their career by making things safer whether it be tracks, the HANS(the creators are members), or providing driving courses.
It's a completely non-profit organization that has a worldwide membership (invite only) of racers and others within the industry.

Over the past few decades the RRDC became sort of dormant and hasn't done much other than some annual member dinners. This all changed when the FIA started their Safety Fund(which ultimately was funded by McLaren). The RRDC created a proposal to do live symposiums and named the program SAFE is Fast. While the live symposiums were successful, they spent a great amount of money to reach only a few hundred kids.

This past year we've shot interviews with doctors, physical trainers, marketing agents, coaches, and some of the top drivers in the country. We've done it exactly how we envisioned it and built the site and produced the videos ourselves.

The RRDC didn't create the program to try and save racing, but they are one of the only organizations that are really trying to do something good for the sport. It's tough to see what's happening to road racing in this country specifically, especially when all the drivers we interviewed are such great, talented people. Dan Wheldon being one of them..
Old 12-19-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
jeff-

Hhmm. I figured there would be more of a response from people here. As mentioned, I haven't posted here in a while, but I still see a lot of familiar names posting here.

Either way, for those of you who have checked it out, I hope you got something out of it! The program is really targeted at those looking to become professional racers as a straight to the point explanation of what it takes to make it as a pro driver. Having said that, there are some good tips for hobbyists and enthusiasts alike.

RC45, we're planning a trip to Pratt and Miller to interview some engineers about race car dynamics, etc. I can't wait to check out their Vette R&D Their C6RS is still my favorite C6.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
RC45
Regular User

But still not sure that the point of the SAFE is Fast program is about?

BTW, why not just use your old nick?

Last edited by RC45; 12-20-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
nthfinity
Regular User

Jeff, There really isn't a whole lot of activity. People log on periodically. People respond periodically.

Content drives a site, and many of the content producers don't do so... or don't do so here. It's sad; but I'm happy the site is still on the web
Old 12-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #7
jeff-

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
But still not sure that the point of the SAFE is Fast program is about?
As I've already mentioned, it's to help prepare young drivers who are pursuing the career of a professional race driver.

BTW, why not just use your old nick?
Privacy.

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
Jeff, There really isn't a whole lot of activity. People log on periodically. People respond periodically.

Content drives a site, and many of the content producers don't do so... or don't do so here. It's sad; but I'm happy the site is still on the web
It's definitely good to still see the site up and running.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:13 AM   #8
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by jeff- View Post
As I've already mentioned, it's to help prepare young drivers who are pursuing the career of a professional race driver.
Help how? Classes on how to kiss arse, mount corporate butt and look like you enjoy questionable products to get and keep sponsorship?

From the few folks I have spoken to that have broken into pro racing, they all said contacts (as in who you know,not what you know), access to money and being at the right place at the right time was more important that raw talent to get out of the club level.

You guys offer a different secret forumula?
Old 01-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #9
jeff-

While I won't deny money and connections can get you just about anywhere, there's still opportunity for motivated individuals. This program gives an inside look at what the professionals in the sport need to do/be in order to compete. Think of it as allowing your kid to meet and talk to all of their favorite baseball players, team owners and sponsors.

It's one thing to talk about driving technique on an forum, but to hear about left foot braking and overtaking (and more) from Dario Franchitti, Scott Dixon, Joey Hand, Bill Auberlan, etc. is something any racing enthusiast can benefit from.