Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 08-11-2004, 04:43 PM   #1
mindgam3
Regular User

Default F1 News & Rumours

This sticky (soon hopefully to become a sub forum) will contain ONLY officially released F1 news. I emphasise, OFFICIAL news, i.e direct from the teams or related body/company. Rumours will go in the rumour sticky.

Thanks

Last edited by blue8; 08-13-2008 at 02:25 PM.
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 04:54 PM   #2
mindgam3
Regular User

Default F1 RUMOURS

Please feel free to post any rumours you hear about anything to do with F1. If these rumours have been officially confirmed by the company/person please post in the F1 NEWS sticky.

Thanks
Old 08-11-2004, 05:11 PM   #3
sameerrao
Regular User

What are you going to do about the old news and rumours sticky - there could be posts in both sections by mistake???

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 05:11 PM   #4
mindgam3
Regular User

ok, lets start the ball rolling

Gehard Berger Coming Back to F1.... for the FIA

"Ex-F1 star and BMW motorsport boss Gerhard Berger is poised for a sensational return to Formula 1 in a senior FIA role.

F1 Racing magazine, on sale today, reveals that Berger, who quit BMW at the 2003 Italian GP, has been earmarked by FIA president Max Mosley as one of his key future aides.

Mosley is widely tipped to stand for re-election in October and should his bid succeed, he wants to delegate many of the president's responsibilities to two hand-picked individuals.

Berger would be Mosley's chosen representative to take on the bulk of the FIA president's motorsport duties.

Speaking exclusively to F1 Racing Mosley says: "It wasn't my intention to stand for re-election, but now there's significant pressure from all sides of the FIA saying I should.

“But if I do it will be as part of a team of three people - one doing the sport, one doing the touring side and one doing not nearly so much."

Berger, who has had no F1 involvement since leaving last year, has in the past said he has no ambition ever to be FIA president. But he has also told friends he misses the sport and would relish an opportunity to become involved once again at a senior level.

Were Berger to be appointed, he would be likely to adopt the title of FIA deputy president (motorsport). "

At last maybe we'll get some decent input from them
Old 08-11-2004, 11:01 PM   #5
Toronto
Regular User

Originally Posted by sameerrao
What are you going to do about the old news and rumours sticky - there could be posts in both sections by mistake???
mayb it should be locked
Old 08-12-2004, 12:46 AM   #6
stracing
Regular User

im confused already :roll:
stracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 06:37 AM   #7
mindgam3
Regular User

it has been locked
Old 08-12-2004, 12:05 PM   #8
sameerrao
Regular User

Source: http://f1.racing-live.com

Williams to race one car with normal nose.

Williams promised a noticeable change to the front part of their FW26 in Hungary. The car is fitted with a more traditional nose section and the first pictures of the new design are now available.

Does it mean that the 'walrus nose' solution is a thing of the past? Not entirely since only Antonio Pizzonia's car was equipped with the new design while Montoya's FW26 was still showing up with the original nose style.

It seems highly probable that Williams will test the two nose configurations on Friday and then decide which design shows the best performance. It is not clear at the moment if both drivers will run with an identical front section after the first day or if only one driver will benefit from the most suitable choice.

We should know more about that very soon...

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
Old 08-12-2004, 12:18 PM   #9
mindgam3
Regular User

hmmm, think i've got an article somewhere about the differences and advantages between the "walrus" and regular nose, i'll try find out.

I think the main disadvantage with the walrus nose is that theres too much flex (lateral i presume) whilst williams thought they had overcome this and it was equally rigid as a regual nose, many doubt if they had.... guess thats why they reverted to the old style
Old 08-12-2004, 03:14 PM   #10
5vz-fe
Regular User

Coulthard targets Button's BAR drive
His best option for 2005

"You target all the seats that are available and I think BAR's performance this year quite clearly has been fantastic and there is no reason to expect that they are going to be any further away next season," said Coulthard. "I can understand on the face of it Jenson's desire to go to Williams but at the moment BAR are doing a better job. There are only so many seats available and in time we'll find out whether there's one available for me."

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/headlin...12200528.shtml
Old 08-12-2004, 03:40 PM   #11
Toronto
Regular User

Source: http://f1.racing-live.com

Williams to race one car with normal nose.

Williams promised a noticeable change to the front part of their FW26 in Hungary. The car is fitted with a more traditional nose section and the first pictures of the new design are now available.

Does it mean that the 'walrus nose' solution is a thing of the past? Not entirely since only Antonio Pizzonia's car was equipped with the new design while Montoya's FW26 was still showing up with the original nose style.

It seems highly probable that Williams will test the two nose configurations on Friday and then decide which design shows the best performance. It is not clear at the moment if both drivers will run with an identical front section after the first day or if only one driver will benefit from the most suitable choice.

We should know more about that very soon...

i also heard that next year they are going back to the old style nose
Old 08-12-2004, 03:48 PM   #12
sameerrao
Regular User

Perhaps the twin tusks puts too much weight on the front wheels?? No idea

Old 08-12-2004, 03:56 PM   #13
Toronto
Regular User

Perhaps the twin tusks puts too much weight on the front wheels?? No idea
or the single keel, and tight nosed ferrari is faster
Old 08-13-2004, 02:57 AM   #14
possessed_beaver
Regular User

i recall at the begining of the season when evreyone was ripping shit into them they just replied "when we are lapping tracks a few tenths faster then who is looking stupid"

but unfortunatley this season has been very disapointing for williams, i wouldent think the drivers where giving 100% seeing as they are both leaving at the end of the year, and one of them was badley injured and they have been cycling through replacment drivers.
possessed_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 06:01 PM   #15
Toronto
Regular User

Williams wants Newey for next year

Frank Williams has admitted he would be interested in trying to lure McLaren's designer Adrian Newey back to his team.

Williams denied speculation in Formula One that he had already had a meeting with Newey, whose contract as McLaren technical director ends in July 2005.

But asked by BBC Sport if he would be interested in rehiring Newey, Williams said: "We'd certainly have a look."

McLaren F1 chief executive Martin Whitmarsh said he did not think Newey would move to another team.

Whitmarsh said Newey was contractually obliged to let McLaren know by a specific date if he intended to leave.

He would not reveal the length of that notice period, but did say that Newey had not given any indications that he might quit McLaren.

"Adrian has certainly given me and Ron (Dennis, McLaren's team principal) the impression that he's happy within the team," Whitmarsh said.

"Do I believe he is going to go to another Formula One team? No, I don't believe he would. I don't believe there's any will, motivation or justification for him to do that.

"But will he reach the point in his career where he wants to take some time out, either take a break or step back a little bit? He may do.

"Adrian is a very focused individual and at the moment he is totally focused and working hard on next year's car.

"And I think that's what's important to him - making sure we are out there to win a championship next year.

"The relationship between Adrian and the team is probably stronger and better than it's ever been."

Newey, regarded as the best aerodynamic designer in F1, worked for Williams for more than six years before moving to McLaren in 1997.

Newey, who did not attend the Hungarian Grand Prix and was not available for comment, told BBC Sport last month he did not know what his next career move would be.

It had been thought he would take a break from the sport, perhaps to pursue opportunities in his other interest, yachting - he has spoken in the past about wanting to design a boat for the America's Cup.

Williams would be expected to benefit if Newey returned.

The team dominated F1 while Newey was their chief designer, but have won only nine races since his departure.

Williams are perceived to have struggled most with the aerodynamics of their cars in recent years and luring Newey back would be a massive boost for them, and a correspondingly large blow to McLaren.

Newey left Williams because he wanted more say in the running of the team.

Team owners Frank Williams and Patrick Head refused to loosen their control or offer him equity in the outfit.

But Head stepped aside from his role as technical director earlier this year to take on a position focusing on long-term strategy.