Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 12-23-2007, 06:05 PM   #1
WMUCarGuy
Regular User

Default Le Mans Series News

Jan Lammers has decided not to compete in the Le Mans 24 Hours with Racing for Holland in 2008. Over the past seven years Racing for Holland often was the best performing privateer team at Le Mans. But Lammers finds the financial risks to big and is focusing in his role as team principal of Racing for Holland on competing with his team in A1GP World Cup of Motorsport. Lammers will also be active as racing driver next season; amongst others he has signed a contract with the Horag Racing team, with whom he will compete at the Sebring 12 Hours and the Le Mans Series with a Porsche RS Spyder prototype.

Jan Lammers; “I did not want to compete at Le Mans again with a big chance that we would lose money as a business because of this. Le Mans is held mid June and then you must be there and ready, also financially. We are not going to succeed in doing this for 2008, so we will have to skip Le Mans this time.”. By mistake the English motor sports magazine ‘Autosport’ reported last week that Racing for Holland would close completely. Lammers; “This only concerns our Le Mans activities. Also as a racing team the bottom line is first to earn more money than the cost you generate and thus make a profit. Second you have to be able to secure the revenues before you need the money. When you only get money halfway through February, but the payment deadline is already in January, you are continuously playing catch up. From that moment on you are mainly occupied with explaining to people why you cannot pay them. I did not want to put others and myself through this again. As far as our Le Mans project is concerned our costs were amongst the front runners, with our revenues in constant pursuit.”
Racing for Holland was making a name for itself since 2001 at Le Mans, where it was able to compete with the major factory teams for years as a privateer team. Racing for Holland also on the most races in the FIA Sportscar Championship, clinching the world title in 2002 and 2003.

Lammers is proud of the performance on track, but no longer accepts the financial risks. “Entering Le Mans demands a commitment of approximately 1.5 milion Euro. The moment you receive your first sponsorship payment is also the point of no return. Then you have the obligation towards your sponsors to go to Le Mans. From then on the only thing you can do is work hard and pray that you will generate sufficient revenue. Now I want to meet all my obligations from the past years first. I do not like hiding behind some holding company. I accept full responsibility. When we win we are on a podium, so if it goes wrong you must not hide. To me these kind of difficulties are an opportunity to strengthen the bond with people instead of terminating the relationship. We all have our problems, it is the way you deal with it that makes the difference. Through the years a lot of great people helped us out on important occasions and they have injected huge amounts of money, knowledge and motivation. I see it as my duty to reward this enthusiasm and trust in a fitting manner.”

Racing for Holland is concentrating on it’s other activities, like A1 Team Netherlands, running the BMW Touring cars in the Netherlands and a number of new projects.

“A1GP is going really well, the sponsor budget is complete and already for next year we are well underway,” says Lammers. “We will be very busy so it will be more difficult to determine what we are not going to do. It is not unthinkable that in the future Racing for Holland will return to Le Mans again, but only if the right ‘win-win’ conditions are there.”

As racing driver Jan Lammers will compete in the Sebring 12 Hours, Le Mans Series (a Championship of five 1000 km races) with the Porsche RS Spyder of the Horag team. He will also race in the German ADAC Cup with a Lamborghini Gallardo and is going to start in the Dutch BMW 130i Cup. Lammers also has received various offers for the Le Mans 24 Hours . He will take a decision on this soon.

Last edited by blue8; 01-04-2008 at 12:37 PM.
WMUCarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 06:07 PM   #2
WMUCarGuy
Regular User

In reality though, RFH being absent at Le Mans is mostly because Lammers' main financial backer and former driver David Hart, has left the team to pursue other endeavors. As far as I know, Hart paid for the majority of the team's expenses, so without that kind of funding, it's impossible to race.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:10 PM   #3
WMUCarGuy
Regular User

Default LMS: Speculative 2008 Entry List

Here's the speculative entry list for the European Le Mans Series. There are only about 50 spots on the list, so don't expect to see all of these making the cut.

P-1

XX Audi Sport/Team Joest R10 TDI ( TBA, TBA, TBA)
XX Audi Sport/Team Joest R10 TDI ( TBA, TBA, TBA)
3 Scuderia Lavaggi Lavaggi LS1 Ford (G.Lavaggi, M.Puglisi, TBA)
5 Swiss Spirit/Pheonix Lola B07/10 Audi (J-D.Deletraz, M.Fassler, I.Alexander-David)
7 Peugeot Total Peugeot 908 HDi FAP (N.Minassian, M.Gene, TBA)
8 Peugeot Total Peugeot 908 HDi FAP (S.Sarrazin, P.Lamy, TBA)
9 Creation Autosportif Creation CA07 AIM (J. Campbell-Walter, Ortiz, TBA)
10 Arena International Motorsport Zytek 07S-Zytek (S.Johansson, T.Chilton, TBA)
12 Oreca/Courage Oreca/Courage LC70 - Judd (A.Frei, J.Cochet, TBA)
13 Oreca/Courage Oreca/Courage LC70 - Judd (J-MGounon, G.Moreau, TBA)
15 Charouz Racing System Lola B08/60 JUDD (J.Charouz, T.Enge, TBA)
16 Pescarolo Sport Pescarolo JUDD (H.Primat, J-C.Boullion, TBA)
17 Pescarolo Sport Pescarolo JUDD (E.Collard, TBA, TBA)
18 Rollcentre Racing Pescarolo JUDD (J.Barbosa, M.Short, P.Keen)
19 Chamberlain - Synergy Motorsport Lola B06/10 AER (G.Evans, B.Berridge, P.Owen)
XX Creation Autosportif Creation CA07 AIM (TBA, TBA, TBA)
XX Epsilon Euskadi Epsilon Euskadi ee1 Judd (TBA, TBA, TBA)
XX Epsilon Euskadi Epsilon Euskadi ee1 Judd (TBA, TBA, TBA)
XX Team Tokai "U" Oreca/Courage LC70 YGK-YR40 ( TBA, TBA, TBA)

P-2

20 Pierre Bruneau Pilbeam MP93 JUDD (M.Rostan, P.Bruneau, S.Pullan)
21 Bruichladdich Radical Radical SR9 AER (T.Greaves, S.Moseley, TBA)
24 Noel Del Bello Racing Oreca/Courage LC75 AER (C.Tinseau, TBA, TBA)
25 RML Lola B08/80 AER (T.Erdos, M.Newton, TBA)
27 Horag Racing Porsche RS Spyder (F.Lienhard, D.Theys, J.Lammers)
31 Binnie Motorsports Lola B05/40 ZYTEK (W.Binnie, A.Timpany, C.Buncombe)
32 Epsilon Sport/Barazi Epsilon Zytek 07S Zytek (J.Barazi, M.Vergers, TBA)
35 Saulnier Racing/Pescarolo Pescarolo Judd (J.Nicolet, A.Filhol, B.Jouanny)
40 Quifel ASM Team LOLA B05/40 MZR-R (M.Amaral, M.De Castro, A.Burgueno)
44 Kruse Motorsport ? British? ( TBA,TBA,TBA)
45 Embassy Racing Embassy WF-01 Zytek (W.Hughes, J.Foster)
XX Embassy Racing Embassy WF-01 Zytek (J.Kane, TBA )
XX Speedy/Sebah Racing Lola B08/80 MZR-R (TBA, TBA, TBA)
XX Trading Perfromance Zytek 07S - Zytek (C-Y.Gosselin, J.Schroyen, K.Ojjeh)
XX Equipe Verschuur Porsche RS Spyder (P.van Merksteijn, TBA, TBA)
XX Team Essex Porsche RS Spyder (J.Nielsen, C.Elgaard, TBA)
XX Welter Racing WR Zytek (TBA, TBA, TBA)
XX Racing Box Lucchini LMP2-01 Judd (TBA, TBA, TBA)

GT-1

50 Labre Competition Saleen S7R (C.Bouchut, G.Gardel, F.Gollin)
51 Labre Competition Saleen S7R (G.Fisken, S.Zacchia, G.Franchi)
59 Team Modena Aston Martin DBR9 (A.Garcia, TBA, TBA)
72 Luc Alphand Aventures Corvette C6-R (L.Alphand, J.Policand, P.Goueslard)
73 Luc Alphand Aventures Corvette C6-R (J-L.Blanchemain, S.Dumez, V.Vosse)
XX Team Modena Aston Martin DBR9 (TBA, TBA, TBA)
XX JMT Racing Team Porsche 996 twin turbo (TBA, TBA, TBA)
XX ARC Bratislava Saleen S7R (TBA, TBA, TBA)

GT-2

76 IMSA Performance Porsche 911 997 GT3 RSR (R.Narac, R.Lietz, TBA)
77 Felbermayr/Proton Porsche 911 997 GT3 RSR (M.Lieb, X.Pompidou, TBA)
78 Scuderia Villorba Corse Ferrari F430 GT (A.Caffi, D.Zardo, TBA)
79 Felbermayr/Proton Porsche 911 997 GT3 RSR (H.Felbermayr, G.Ried, P.Collin)
83 GPC Sport Ferrari F430 GT (G.Rosa, L.Drudi, TBA)
84 Chad Peninsular Racing Panoz (J.Hartshorne, M.McInerney, S.McInerney)
85 Spyker Squadron Spyker C8 Spyder GT2R (P.Kox, J.Janis, TBA)
88 Felbermayr/Proton Porsche 911 997 GT3 RSR (H.Felbermayr jr., C.Ried, T.Gruber)
89 Markland Racing Corvette Z06 (H.M.Sonrensen, K.Thiim, T.Thyrring)
90 Farnbacher Racing Porsche 911 997 GT3 RSR (P.Ehret, L.E.Nielsen, D.Werner)
92 Thierry Perrier Porsche 911 997 GT3 RSR (P.Hesnault, N.Smith, A.Beltoise)
94 Speedy Racing Spyker C8 Spyder GT2R (A.Chiesa, J.Kane, TBA)
95 James Watt Automotive Porsche 911 997 GT3 RSR (P.Daniels, D.Cox, J.Camathias)
96 Virgo Motorsport Ferrari F430 GT (R.Bell, A.Simonsen, TBA)
97 GPC Sport Ferrari F430 GT (M.Bobbi, A.Bonetti, F. de Simone)
98 Ice Pol Racing Team Ferrari F430 GT (Y.Lambert, C.Lefort, F.Bouvy)
99 JMB Racing Ferrari F430 GT (P.M.Basso, B.Mc Cormick, TBA) ?x3?
XX Barwell Motorsports Aston Martin ?? (TBA, TBA. TBA)
XX Autorlando Sport Porsche 911 997 RSR ( TBA, TBA, TBA)
XX BMS Scuderia Italia Porsche 911 997 RSR ( TBA, TBA, TBA)
XX ARC Bratislava Porsche 911 997 RSR ( TBA, TBA, TBA)
XX Sturdza Morgan Aeromax (TBA, TBA, TBA)
XX RSV Motorsport Ferrari F430 GT (TBA, TBA, TBA)
Old 12-23-2007, 07:37 PM   #4
WMUCarGuy
Regular User

Default LMS: Horag Racing unveil their Porsche RS Spyder

Horag Racing and its two primary drivers, Fredy Lienhard and Didier Theys, are very optimistic about the 2008 racing season after a flawless shakedown test of their brand-new Lista Office and Lista-sponsored Porsche RS Spyder last weekend at the Catalunya circuit north of Barcelona, Spain.

Veteran Jan Lammers is excited too, because the Swiss team has chosen him to be its third driver for the 2008 Le Mans Series (LMS) as well as the one or possibly two American Le Mans Series (ALMS) races on its 2008 schedule.

Horag Racing will again focus on the Le Mans Series in Europe next year, but before that begins it will debut its new LMP2 car at the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring ALMS season opener at Sebring International Raceway in Sebring, Fla. in the United States on March 15. The team may also compete in the ALMS' Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta in Braselton, Ga. on Oct. 4. The LMS schedule currently consists of five events, although one may be added later. Horag Racing does not plan to participate in either the Sebring ALMS winter test in January or the official pre-season LMS test at Paul Ricard in France March 2-3. After it returns from Sebring in March it will begin its European campaign in earnest with the LMS season opener at Catalunya April 4-6. Then it's off to Monza, Italy April 25-27 to try to post back-to-back LMP2 victories in that prestigious event. The 1,000 Kilometers of Spa follows May 9-11. August 15-17 will find the team racing at the Nurburgring in Germany, with Silverstone, England following Sept. 12-14.

It's an exciting line-up of races at some of the most historic venues in the world, and to say the team is excited about trying its luck with its new Porsche RS Spyder in the new year is putting it mildly. That excitement level, already high, increased even higher after last weekend's initial test went so well. The team hopes its new car will help it surpass its 2007 results, when it finished fifth in the LMS' LMP2 class, just four points out of third place, 21 to 25.

"We had two good, full days of testing last weekend without any problems at all," said Theys. "We did quite a few miles, and we had no problems even though it was cold. We didn't concentrate on our set-up for that particular track, but instead tried different set-ups in order to learn what the car would do when we made certain changes. The car responded as we hoped, and we loved the feeling we got when driving it. Coupled with our Michelin tires, we think our Porsche RS Spyder package will be very strong. The car is gorgeous too; it's already in its Sebring livery. And we're all happy that Jan has agreed to join us for 2008. We are very excited about the upcoming season."

The team is also very happy with the support it received from Porsche. "Porsche sent several people to the test to make sure we got off to a good start," Theys said. "Led by Martin Meijs, they were very helpful, knowledgeable and enthusiastic. Porsche's support was excellent."

Lammers wasn't able to attend the test due to a previous commitment in China, but he's delighted to be joining Horag Racing for 2008. His extensive bio is punctuated with impressive accomplishments in a career that began washing cars and grew to the world stage, as he competed in 41 Formula 1 races and later became an endurance sports car legend, with victories in all sorts of events including the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Most recently he's been campaigning his FIA World Championship-winning Racing for Holland team, and he also owns the Dutch A1 Grand Prix team.

"When you get more and more experience, you need more and more competent, no-nonsense people around you. I believe Didier, Fredy and Markus [Hotz, the team owner] as the team captain are definitely all that!" said Lammers. "These men, in combination with the highly competitive, reliable and good-looking RS Spyder, make me feel a lucky man.
"I can't wait to join the Horag Racing team and start driving," Lammers added. "Listening to Fredy and Didier after the Barcelona test makes me even more excited! To start in Sebring is particularly special. It's a great, legendary event that I would love to win and add to my multi-page CV.

"Everybody always looks good on the 'wedding picture' and it is early, but I will give it my very best to make sure that this time next year we are all still as enthusiastic," Lammers concluded. "I thank all the decision makers for their faith in me, and I am proud to be part of the team."

Hotz is also looking forward to the new season. "I think we used the time we had during the two days in Barcelona to collect as much information as possible about the new Spyder," said the veteran team owner. "We made a lot of progress in learning about the advanced technology that this Porsche offers. When we had questions we had great help, as the Porsche engineers were beside us the whole time. I also understand that they brought quite positive impressions about our team back to Weissach.

"It was a good experience for the drivers also, as they found that the car is very 'drivable' and predictable, which is always a goal for me to go for, especially for long-distance races.
"We still have a lot of hard work ahead of us in order to be prepared with all the Porsche-specific equipment we will need in order to be ready for the Sebring 12 Hours. But after this test and the data we gathered, we are more confident that we can handle it," Hotz concluded.
Credit: Horag Racing

Last edited by WMUCarGuy; 12-23-2007 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:14 PM   #5
nthfinity
Regular User

Frech GT racing stalwarts will race 2 Corvette C6.Rs in 2008. Their plans include the full season of the LMS and 2 entries into the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Both of their cars will be 2008 spec, and they'll be receiving plenty of support from the factory, including factory drivers when available. Their 2008 season will kick off with a private test at Sebring with both of their cars during GM's private test at Sebring a few days before the official IMSA Sebring Wheels Down Winter Test (Corvette Racing traditionally never comes to the official test, they do everything on their own).

Now the big question is will Alphand run his cars in this year's 12 Hours of Sebring? He's going to fly his 1 current C6.R to the States and take delivery of his 2nd car (a 2007 ex-works car), so while they've incurred the huge expense of coming all the way here, they might as well stay for the race! I'd guess it's unlikely to happen, but it's possible.

taken from wmucarguy's post on SCN
Old 04-08-2008, 02:21 PM   #6
HeilSvenska
Regular User

#7 Peugeot 908 wins the season opener, Catalunya 1000 Km, #2 Audi R8 second, and shock podium place for the brand new Lola-Aston Martin, in LMP1 and overall.

Van Merksteijn Motorsport Porsche RS picks up LMP2 win, and Luc Alphand wins GT1 in Corvette C6.R. And the GT2 win goes to Virgo Motorsport F430 GT.

Last edited by HeilSvenska; 04-08-2008 at 04:12 PM.
HeilSvenska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:06 PM   #7
dannyroz
Regular User

^ no pics