Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 01-06-2007, 10:38 AM   #1
Jabba
Regular User

Default Members hd setups : Infocus 163" hd projector

Ok we have a new TV king with the monster that RC45 has now, so I shall throw my hat into the ring with my new HD projector and a couple of other toys.

First we have an infocus 163" 720p HD projector zoomed (unzoomed I guess you could get to over a 300" screen easy...if you can find a big enough wall).

Its a lot less noisy than my last projector, a lot brighter, quicker start up and shut down times and no motion blur. Only bad point really is that it doesn't support 1080i/p....maybe next year...

I watched all six star wars movies in HD over xmas back to back from 5pm to 9am with a break for food etc, the first 3 were 1080i rips and were indeed breathtaking, a true "movie theatre experience" from this beast.

8/10

Second we have a modded xbox 360 connected to a media PC, this is a nice idea but it doesn't support many HD formats apart from WMV. You can "transcode" other formats such as Divx and Xvid on the PC with 3rd party software and stream them to the xbox, however with mixed and messy results. Games are of course excellent and "backup games" are free !

5/10 for media streaming and 7/10 for gaming.

Next we have a SnaZio SZ1350 High Definition Network DVD player, this is better than the Xbox for streaming media as it supports nearly all the HD formats and much more such as a built in upscaling DVD player for all your old disks. Sadly this device doesn't support the all important h.264 codec that all the decent HD movies are encoded in (which you can download for free )

http://www.pluggedin.tv/SnaZio-SZ135...=2&category=12

6/10

Lastly its the good old PC directly connected to the projector which plays everything, thanks to the good old karma I have already built a nice collection of over 50 HD movies which take up less than 900 GB and all available on tap without even opening a disc box up. The downside is that I need to run my conroe E6400 at 3 ghz plus to get 100% smooth video from 1080i movies such as the star wars prequels.

8/10

I hope to get a PS3 when they hit the UK as I am going with blu-ray as the discs are almost double the capacity of toshiba hd and are therefore more useful to me.

I hear TG might be shot in HD soon, if thats the case then I think I will upload the usual hi-res TG features first, followed by HD versions shortly after. Anybody that doubts HD hasn't seen it set up properly, as RC45 will probably confirm its a real bitch to get a good picture of and pictures never really do it justice, the blurry one at the end with the Xbox360 is just for scale !

Last edited by Jabba; 10-31-2008 at 02:01 PM.
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:07 AM   #2
yg60m
Regular User

what can I say more ? Fantastic !! BTW what do you think of that : http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/09/p...-and-personal/ ?? I wonder if the image can be that good with such a beast
Old 01-06-2007, 11:10 AM   #3
Jabba
Regular User

Its ok if you can make do with 103" I guess
Old 01-06-2007, 11:14 AM   #4
yg60m
Regular User

size doesn't matter says my wife
Old 01-06-2007, 11:35 AM   #5
sameerrao
Regular User

Love the set up Jabba. What is the home theatre set up - receiver/speakers?

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:41 AM   #6
Jabba
Regular User

hmm, now ya asking, its a very old Sony 5.1/DTS amp, active sub etc. It does the job for now but needs upgrading asap.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:01 PM   #7
yg60m
Regular User

Just a question about the ambiance lighting : do you have to be in the dark to see the films on the screen or can you let some lights on ?
Old 01-06-2007, 12:03 PM   #8
Jabba
Regular User

This one is a lot better, I had several sets of Xmas ligts on and it was still very good, it also has extra bright mode if you have stronger lighting on. Dark for it though is always gonna be best, just like when you go to the cinema I guess.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:14 PM   #9
yg60m
Regular User

I forgot, another question : you mentioned that you built a collection of HD films, What do you mean ? You encoded them with HD codecs ? What is the source for building them ? Because it has to come from a HD or even higher quality isn't it ?

I would be curious to know the processus if it doesn't annoy you and isn't too complicated
Old 01-06-2007, 12:20 PM   #10
Jabba
Regular User

All downloaded from newsgroups or bit torrent, the sources are usually direct HD streams from Sky HD or HD channels in the US. Movies can be over 20 gigs though so a fast internent connection is a good idea.

non newzbin members will only see one page of content here :

http://www.newzbin.com/search/query/...y=6&searchFP=p

I guess I should upload something so you will see what all the fuss is about.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:23 PM   #11
yg60m
Regular User

Ok, thank you for your answers
Old 01-06-2007, 12:39 PM   #12
TopGearNL
Regular User

All downloaded from newsgroups
Im on there too!

Where do you find these?
Old 01-06-2007, 01:28 PM   #13
Jabba
Regular User

http://www.newzbin.com/search/query/...y=6&searchFP=p
Old 01-06-2007, 01:32 PM   #14
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by Jabba
http://www.newzbin.com/search/query/p/?q=hd&Category=6&searchFP=p
Cheers Jabba!
Old 01-06-2007, 02:37 PM   #15
stmoritzer
Regular User

amazing :faint: set-up Jabba !

I'm learning a lot about HD here in the HD section

my page: www.davidkaiser.ch - "Lamborghini meets St.Moritz" Photo-CD now available !
recent post: 15+ Gallardo Superleggeras roaring in the Swiss Alps !
stmoritzer is offline   Reply With Quote