Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat > MotorWorld Car Reviews

Old 08-20-2006, 05:34 PM   #1
TT
Regular User

Default Jaguar XK 4.2 coupé

Jaguar XK8

This was actually quite a difficult shot, but well, I was passing in front of the Jag dealer and had some spare minutes, so I stopped to take a look at the demo car and since there was nobody around I just asked one of the dealers if they could give me the key, not for a testdrive as most customers would ask, but to take pics. I was quite surprised when the guy asked to see my website and said yes right away LOL. Thought it could be much more complicated, but I guess the fact I am sadly not a teen anymore is playing more in more in my favour.
Anyway, of course before me came all the real potential buyers, but finally one day I called and the car was available

More pics :arrow:

Specifications

Engine - V8, 4196 cc
Power - 300 hp @ 6'000 rpm
Torque - 420 Nm @ 2'100 rpm
Weight - 1'595 kg
Fuel Tank - 70 l
Max Speed (declared) - 250 km/h limited
Acceleration (declared), 0-100 km/h - 6.2 s
Fuel economy (out of town / town / mixed) - 8.1 / 17.1 / 11.3
Tranny - 6 gears auto with paddles

Seats - 5
Doors - 4
Lenght / width - 4'791 mm
Height - 1'322 mm
Boot - 300 liters with spare wheel, 330 with runflat tires

Exterior

The new XK a Hyundai lookalike?! Either bullshit, either I love Hyundais! Honestly, the new XK with the right wheels like this one just rocks visually! Agressive and elegant, a very classic and beautiful shape! As many cars, sexiers in the metal rather than in pics.
HOnestly, this one, in this color with these wheels is close to perfection IMO!

Interior

It's, well, elegant and cozy! Beautifully crafted, full of buttons and good quality materials, you sit in and feels at home! Everything is at reach and even if there wasn't an engine at the front it could be a nice place to be. The driving position is good and the seats although not rally like, provide some comfy support afterall.
The car is packed with luxury features obviously, as you might expect from a 100k USD car I guess, some seem pretty useless at first like the fact you can turn on the driving lights with a button in your key how cool is that? To take pics is fucking brillant and it works from far away! Cool!

How does it drive?

Well, I never tried the previous model but I know it was no pure supercar nor greta excitment. Not so in this new model. Your fire up the engine and right away it starts to purr and caress your hear even at idle. When the first streth of open road opens up you nail the trottle to the carpet, the engine revs to the redline and the cabin is filled with some VERY beautiful V8 melody. Actually one of the most musical cars I ever drove! Never too much yet always there, it's really an engine note that makes you prod the throttle countless of times even when totally not needed! A 6.2 sec to 100 might not seem so fast these days, but honestly, the car feels perfectly quick enough for everyday's needs! The semi-auto tranny is well... still an auto thing and on a short testdrive you can't really appreciate it. but it seemed quick and precise enough at least.
Traction is good, but I wasn't in hooligan mode anyway. But at quick speed the XK manages to tame every fast sweeper the road will throw at it with no sweat. It has a precise steering and firm suspension; firm but still pretty much a cruiser and long distance in it will never be a prob, I am sure about it.
I really enjoyed the ride and it was hard to decide it was time to stop again for some pics.
Of course for the same price you can have a 911 which does everything better. Yet, I am wondering if, given the money, I'd go for a 911 or an XK, possible an R

What are the most positive features of the car?

Melodic V8
Sporty
Classy

What are the most negative features of the car?

Still no 100% focused sportcar
No manual tranny

How do you think this car compares to its direct competition?

Well, as said: when you play in the 911 cathegory there is no hope: you'll always run for the second place anyway. But the Jag does it in a relaxed way and it's for sure a very tempting alternative, especially when the XKR will finally arrive

Conclusion

Even if I didn't know exactly what to expect, the XK surprised me and appeared to be a really good car, one of those cars that can make you smile even on a grey and rainy day.

Old 08-20-2006, 06:05 PM   #2
Bartek
Regular User

Default Re: Jaguar XK 4.2 coupé

Originally Posted by TT
Power - 3000 hp @ 6'000 rpm
Nice 8) 8)
Old 08-20-2006, 06:39 PM   #3
TNT
Regular User

great review, if i win the lotto i am getting the R so. i will have a review then
Old 08-20-2006, 08:39 PM   #4
sameerrao
Regular User

Great review! Keep it up!

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 12:48 AM   #5
TT
Regular User

Default Re: Jaguar XK 4.2 coupé

Originally Posted by Bartek
Originally Posted by TT
Power - 3000 hp @ 6'000 rpm
Nice 8) 8)
Forgot to say it was slightly tuned
Old 08-24-2006, 05:09 AM   #6
Zot09
Regular User

Nice review! Jaguar has certainly gotten better over the years. The one thing I cannot stand about this car is the steering wheel! It looks like they took it straight out of the Ford parts bin(looks like the Mustangs).
Old 08-26-2006, 11:23 AM   #7
rave426
Regular User

I got the chance to test drive one yesterday...They dont go for the "drive by yourself gig" down here, but I was still able to get a feel for the car.

You are right, the V8 sound is rather melodic and I was actually impressed by the suspension and road holding. The ride was lushous is my opinion, yet it managed to eat up the bends.

The only but I have about is how the touch screen naviagation is "tucked" in the dash board........I had hell trying to touch the buttons on the left side. It was just annoying that I couldnt get an easy touch when I wanted. Thats nit-pickey but oh well.

The is beautiful and it is a work of art.............but i still wouldnt pay 80K for it (the price on my tester)
Old 11-20-2006, 02:47 AM   #8
ae86_16v
Regular User

Thanks for the insight TT. Good stuff.

I gotta admit, this car looks better and better. And as with most Jags, you will in another 10 years, it will still look good.

It is hard, between the 911 and this, I gotta agree with you and pick the 911. But between this and the BMW 6 Series, base on what you would use a car like this for; grand tourer, I would pick this over the 6 Series. Plus it is a lot prettier .
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 07:49 AM   #9
TopGearNL
Regular User

Nice review TT, I was blown away when I came across the XKR on my holiday, so beautiful and so powerful

Sound is incredible too of the XK!

Sounds to me you might have made some more friends at the Jag dealer