Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 10-23-2004, 12:04 PM   #1
graywolf624
Regular User

Default New f1 rules

FIA decides on Formula 1 rules
The FIA has finally issued the Formula 1 regulations for 2005. The teams have been unable to stop the FIA imposing its changes because they have been unable to agree on any package. The aerodynamic rules will mean that front wings will be raised and rear wings will be brought forward. The height of the diffusers will be reduced and the bodywork in front of the rear wheels will be reduced. This will result in a reduction of downforce of about 25% but engineers are already saying that 15% of this will have been won back by the start of next year and that by the end of the 2005 season, downforce levels will be back to where they now are. One set of tyres will be used for qualifying and the race. This means that pit stops will no longer involve tyre changes. The tyres will be harder and should, in theory at least, reduce the lap times. The FIA is insisting on two-race engines, which it argues will reduce the horsepower levels but with development these will rise again. The switch to one-race engines has done little to reduce the speeds.

The most controversial aspect of the new rules package is the engine regulations for 2006 which will see 2.4-litre V8s introduced alongside restricted V10s. The V10s will be allowed to race in 2006 and 2007 subject to a number of restrictions "determined by the FIA". This, in effect, can force the manufacturers to switch to V8s because a rev limit on the V10s could easily make the V8s more competitive.

The FIA says that the reductions will slow the cars and will cut costs, while also providing engines for customer teams at a sensible level.

The FIA decisions are likely to be greeted with much reaction in the days ahead. The major manufacturers are expected to remain in the sport, despite threats to quit but we expect the arbitration claim to go ahead as planned.
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns13737.html

The tire thing seems down right dangerous.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 12:17 PM   #2
FerrariKiller
Regular User

I think the tires will easily survive an entire weekend; I'm just curious about what happens if you get a puncture. Are you allowed to change all the tires on the car at that point? Is there a penalty for doing so? What if a team claims it has four punctures and changes all four tires. The V8 thing makes since because it may entice more manufacturers into the sport and make it cheaper at the same time.

long live the moose
FerrariKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 12:21 PM   #3
graywolf624
Regular User

I think the tires will easily survive an entire weekend
Not with their current compound.. You can make harder tires(That will last longer..) but then they dont grip as well. tire longetivity is a direct negative correlation to stickyness.
Old 10-23-2004, 04:40 PM   #4
5vz-fe
Regular User

Sure...make F1 slower and less exciting..that would sure help getmore audience.
2.4 V8..that means an CART will have more horsepower than F1.

Here's an interesting article to read.
http://www.autoracing1.com/MarkC/000723HPDilemma.htm
Old 10-23-2004, 05:17 PM   #5
ZfrkS62
Regular User

this is getting re-god damn-diculous!
2 race weekends out of an engine?! WTF!? i don't think even Ferrari can pull that one off!

eventually max is going to make F1 less exciting than NASCAR. Time for some new management.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 06:01 PM   #6
FerrariKiller
Regular User

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe
Sure...make F1 slower and less exciting..that would sure help getmore audience.
2.4 V8..that means an CART will have more horsepower than F1.
Yup, CART is better than F1.

long live the moose
FerrariKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 08:17 PM   #7
graywolf624
Regular User

More hp and more speed doesn't mean more excitement and more audience. The best races here are the Clio Cup ones or the Leon Cup, with all the cars exactly the same and with 200hp more or less... so the power is not the only point in racing.
Yes but that isnt the point of f1.. f1s supposed to have that techology beyond everyone else thing going.. It isnt supposed to be a spec class.. Its changing what makes it special imho.
Old 10-23-2004, 08:33 PM   #8
Max Power

These changes will do shit.....Michael still has his ferrari and as long he's driving its gonna be a one driver series......lose Shumi, force him to retire or strap 200 extra pounds on his car and everybody else's chances increase. Ratings go up and it becomes a more competitive series....but F1 is not going anywhere......its been around forever and will continue to do so.....I just hope it doesn't detiriate like the NHL and turn into a bumper car series cause Montoya would probably win for sure....and nobody wants to c that
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 01:32 AM   #9
5vz-fe
Regular User

new challenges is good, but they definitely require time to think. Imposing changes so quick is definitely not money saving.

I still think weight penalty is a good idea, it will even up the pack abit more......
Old 10-24-2004, 02:06 AM   #10
aks
Regular User

what jus happened to good old racing?? too many rules and regulations jus ruin it for everyone!!

My Car: Alfa Romeo 147 2.0 Selespeed 5-Door (Black Exterior/Red Leather Interior/Sunroof/17 inch Alloys/Tinted Windows/Rear Parking Sensors)
aks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 06:21 PM   #11
Toronto
Regular User

NEW ENGINE IS STUPID

it will cost the teams more money to make it, rather then just a 2499cc v-10
Old 10-24-2004, 10:23 PM   #12
chipanggo
Regular User

the new rules will slow down the cars for only a year. given the rapid pace of technology in formula 1, i am quite sure the pace will pick up again in spite of the rule changes. soon enough we will the cars go quicker and quicker again. and then after another couple of years the FIA will set new rules again to slow the cars down. this has been a cycle in f1 for the last 15 years.
chipanggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 11:10 AM   #13
sau_mathur
Regular User

I reckon they can still extract a nice 750 + bhp from the 2.6 V8s. Fact that the tire and the engine need to last much longer is whats gonne be the key in slowing the cars down. They are even modifying the aero setup. in 06...arent they ? Max of 2 wing elements at the rear, and less bargboard detail too. !!!

Dunno if i like it tho....F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport with cutting edge technology...Cant slow em down..!! NOT FAIR..!!!

The only reason i feel these changes have been inflicted is cos other teams are just not able to match Ferrari. THATS IT !!! Theres no other reason. The change in qualifying format was basically due to this. To stop Schumi !!! They havent succeded, so they wanna change the rules even more.

I saw the Gold Coast Indy yesterday on the tele ...yeah..it was exciting....ish.... and then i saw the F1 race from interlagos...!!! Just a world of difference...the f1 cars are sooooooo much faster, corner with awesome accuracy...absolute perfection, compared to the haphazardness of Indy..!!!
And they still wanna slow the f1 cars down..!!! Its Bloody Crap..!!!!
sau_mathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 11:37 AM   #14
mindgam3
Regular User

i dont think the engines will actually slow the development down.

The current engines are rumoured to run around 1000hp

Thats about 333hp/l

Scale that down to a 2.4 and you get about 800 horses. Thats "only" a bit off what the lower end of the current field are running. Give it a few years and they'll be up to around 900hp, especially given its generally slightly easier to develop higher hp/l with smaller engines.

Even so, making the cars slower is not the answer. As has already been said, F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport and making it less extreme is going to attract less people.
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 12:09 PM   #15
5vz-fe
Regular User

Given the smaller scale of the engine, it could theoriotically run higher rpm than the 3.0, but the problem would prolly be the V8 that changes things. I am sure 2.5 V10 would be a better arrangement for the teams. 800hp might sound ok, but combined with less downforce and way less sticky tires, u are looking at slower than minardi performance (and u are looking at the big teams, not minardi itself).