Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 06-23-2008, 09:27 AM   #31
79rivers
Regular User

Nice to see Massa so strong again and fully recovered from his early-season disappointments. And nice to see Raikkonen survive that exhaust problem. But for me what made this GP one of the best of the year was that battle for third. I was torn between the two. I really wanted to see Kovalainen do well with that first-class ride. But then, I also wanted to see "old man" Trulli redeem himself for his on-again/off-again performances the past few years. Now we know Trulli's still got the fire. Kovalainen? Maybe another day. Maybe...
79rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:30 PM   #32
torrentjunkie
Regular User

^^Yup, really happy Jarno made it on the podium, hes a cool guy, and well obviously still has the necessary skill seeing as he held off a Mclaren that came up from the bottom half of the grid.

I'm sure Kimi enjoyed the race just a bit more when the threat of the car blowing up became present lol.

As for Lewis, that race should bring him back down to earth...and in his own words "legends win from the back of the grid" seeing as he didn't...that says something...

Don't get me wrong, i was behind Lewis before the season started and still am, but the arrogance thing...its just not cool.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:10 PM   #33
Mattk
Regular User

^Haha! I think Hamilton is definitely talented, but not the best driver out there.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:16 PM   #34
WanderingAO
Regular User

Did anyone else happen to catch Hamilton's dad getting the way of the crew preparing Lewis's car on the grid? He should stick to ruining nice cars.
WanderingAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:29 AM   #35
thiago
Regular User

Originally Posted by WanderingAO View Post
Did anyone else happen to catch Hamilton's dad getting the way of the crew preparing Lewis's car on the grid? He should stick to ruining nice cars.

No I actually have not seen it... Where and when did you see that? Did he get in the way on a mechanic and got him annoyed? Can you tell? I want to see it!

Yeah, his dad really seems to be sort of a freak... I feel bad for Lewis because of his dad somehow... When he wrecked his can in Montreal I thought his dad would beat him up publicly.
thiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:16 AM   #36
WanderingAO
Regular User

It was during the preparations on the starting grid, he went over to get some face time on tv with his son and stumbled on a crew man monitoring the tire heating blanket. I enjoy Lewis's talent, but his dad seems to attract more attention of the cameras than team principals.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:14 PM   #37
thiago
Regular User

I need to go check on that one! It must be hilarious!

Oh, ok, I saw it! It's right after they interview Ferrari's Rob Smedley, there's a bit of the fanfare playing the French National Anthem and there you'll see Anthony hugging his son before the race and then he trips over one of the mechanics working on the left front tire. Yeah, the man seems to be very passionate about his son and he wants to be there for him, looks like he doesn't seem to care much about others jobs by being that way in there.

Last edited by thiago; 06-24-2008 at 03:31 PM.
thiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:18 PM   #38
styla21
Regular User

We might be being a bit harsh on here.. I think it's great Lewis is publicly appreciative of his fathers influence. I havn't really heard much from the Dad before to judge if he is a positive role model, but from what I have seen I would have no reason to think otherwise.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:14 PM   #39
WanderingAO
Regular User

It is possible to be supportive without being shoulder-to-shoulder with the crew. I'm not trashing him, but he needs to take a back seat, instead of calling shotgun.

Great race for Ferrari, and cheers to Jarno.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:34 PM   #40
torrentjunkie
Regular User

I have alot of respect for Anthony, he's a good father..a relentless driving force. You can't really blame him...he's as much a part of Lewis's F1 Career as Lewis's driving ability, and i would say being in F1 is as much his dream as it is Lewis's.

He's just a little more concerned than other managers, seeing as it's his kid out there and that they've been in it together since Lewis first put that yellow crash helmet on, father and son. Just look at the images on the itv coverage for magny cours...how Anthony sends lewis off on the grid, as well as how he watches the race in the pits...his facial expression tells it all.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:40 PM   #41
Mattk
Regular User

I have a big problem with parents in sport. It's good that they're supportive, but when they're screaming instructions from the sidelines and/or micromanaging their sporting lives, a line has been crossed. Ultimately, sport is about the participant and parents need to know it. I don't think Anthony Hamilton has crossed the line yet. In fact, I think if anyone will ruin his career, it'll be someone from McLaren management.