Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 06-10-2008, 10:53 PM   #1
Spiffu
Regular User

Default *Shocking!*/sarcasm Nascar getting sued for racial discrimination among other things

So today the Nascar organization was served with a lawsuit for $250 million for racial, religious, sexual, etc discrimination as well as sexual harassment.

http://www.wbir.com/sports/story.asp...=59238&catid=5

From above link.

Mauricia Grant, a former official of NASCAR who traveled to races as a "technical inspector," filed a $250 million lawsuit against the circuit Tuesday in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York alleging racial and sexual harassment.

In a 40-page filing, Grant, 32, alleges she was terminated in November for complaining about her treatment, which included, she says, NASCAR officials referring to her as "nappy headed Mo," "Mohammed" and "Al Qaeda" and some exposing their penises in her presence. She cites specific dates and locations for the harassment on the job, which, the suit stated, paid her $30,000 a year.

DOCUMENT: View complaint against NASCAR (.pdf)

The lawsuit states Grant was subjected to "virulently racist harassment, a racially hostile work environment and insidious and pervasive race discrimination reflective of a former, uglier era in our nation's history."

The lawsuit also states Grant was subjected to "lewd and obscene sexual harassment, a sexually hostile work environment and rampant gender discrimination." It goes on to state that all manner of NASCAR officials, including supervisors, "perpetuated, condoned and actively participated in perverted and disgusting sexual conduct designed to demean and diminish (Grant) and the handful of other women employed by NASCAR as officials."

Grant, who was the only black female official and began with NASCAR in January 2005, said in the suit she was fired for her "poor work performance" but said she had received positive performance evaluations and had received no warnings aside from one about her use of "street" language.

Yet, she contends in the suit that NASCAR officials would send her obscene e-mails or text messages, such as this from official David Duke last November: "I love all Yall mofos, i am that nigga, HAHAHA, Holla, PIMPALICIOUS." Or, she contends, Duke would say in her presence, "What up, my nigga?"

When she complained to NASCAR officials, Grant told USA TODAY on Tuesday, "I was basically told to deal with it because the men that I was working with, a lot of them were military men and I needed to learn how to act like they act if I wanted to be successful.

"I felt like I was in it by myself and that I had to make an attitude adjustment. It hurt because I basically just tried to do my job and tried to avoid co-workers. I was hurt and disgusted by the whole thing."

Grant told USA TODAY she and another female co-worker drafted an anonymous letter in 2006 to NASCAR's Human Resources department, detailing some complaints. She said the letter was discussed by colleagues and it was thought to come from somewhere else, but that another female official was eventually fired.

"I don't want this (lawsuit) to be my legacy as the first African-American female to do this job," Grant told USA TODAY. "I did (the job) in a way that I can hold my head up high with pride. That doesn't mean I have to put up with race discrimination or sexism or retaliation."

NASCAR spokesman Randy Poston says: "We have not yet had a chance to review the suit. But as an equal opportunity employer, NASCAR is fully committed to the spirit and letter of affirmative action law. NASCAR provides equal opportunity employment to job candidates and employees without regard to race, religion, creed, age, gender, or any other characteristic protected by law. Personnel decisions are made based on factors such as performance and adherence to corporate policy."With regard to the specific case, NASCAR has a zero tolerance policy for harassment. We won't get into specifics through the media but we will address all claims fully and in detail in our response to the courts."

Lou D'Ermilio, spokesman for Fox Sports, which carried the first half of the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series schedule this season, and Andy Hall, spokesman for ESPN, which picks up the schedule next month, had "no comment."

The suit said Grant, a native of the Bronx, N.Y., now living in Atlanta, graduated with honors at the top of her class from Los Angeles' Urban League Automotive Training Center in the summer of 2004. She obtained a certification in brakes and suspension service and was one of only two women in her class. During her studies she interned as a technical inspector at Irwindale Speedway outside of Los Angeles.

In September 2004, Grant was recruited to NASCAR by John Muzzarelli, director of training and recruiting. At the time, Hall of Fame basketball player Magic Johnson was working with NASCAR on its Drive for Diversity program. The aim was to increase minority involvement by placing black, female and Latino drivers in stock cars at short tracks on the sport's grassroots levels. NASCAR also has a diversity internship program that places college-age minorities in business-oriented jobs with NASCAR, its tracks, sponsors and licensees.

Grant described in the suit instances in which Joe Balash, NASCAR's director of the Nationwide Series, and others would make comments about her arriving late to work as being on "Colored People Time."

Co-workers, the suit stated, would make "ignorant racist comments." The suit said official Jonathon Dickerson frequently made references to the Ku Klux Klan, such as saying last August that the Klan was similar to the NAACP. But the NAACP is a "black organization," so the government does not attack it. The suit said last October, Dickerson shared his opinion with Grant that "white trailer parks seem like they're filled with dirtier people because blacks put so much effort into flashing materials things. But the truth is that black people have dirtier homes."

When Grant complained about these examples of racial harassment, the suit stated, "she was subjected to heightened scrutiny, unwarranted disciplinary action, degrading treatment and continued harassment culminating in her unlawful termination, in direct retaliation for her complaints."

Sexual harassment was outlined specifically, as well.
In October 2006, the suit states, Grant and some co-workers were in the lounge of the hotel they stayed at while working at Memphis Motor Speedway when official Bud Moore came out of his room wearing only a towel and calling out, "Mo, do you want to see my dick?" The suit goes on to state Moore then opened his towel and ducked behind a trash can, while other male officials laughed.

In March 2007, the suit states, while Grant was working at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Mike Dolan, assistant director of what then was called the Busch Series but is now the Nationwide Series, repeatedly made jokes of this variety: "Mo, if any of these guys try getting in your pants, you let them know you already have one a??? in there, that's enough for today." The next month, while working at Texas Motor Speedway, the suit stated, Dolan approached Grant while he was eating an ice cream sandwich. He began licking it in a lewd manner, the suit stated, "insinuating that the chocolate cake was a vagina and he was performing oral sex."

The suit concludes, Grant "has suffered and continues to suffer severe emotional distress, including depression, anxiety, nightmares, sleep disturbance, crying jags and physical injury, including headaches and gastrointestinal distress."

It's an 06 dammit!
Spiffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:21 PM   #2
RC45
Regular User

Sounds like she should have gone and worked as a manager at McDonalds.. she would have made more than the alleged $30,000 a year and got free fries.

Odd how a "$30,000 a year person" can suffer $250 million worth of damages.

My take is "suck it up" or find a another job.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:00 AM   #3
HeilSvenska
Regular User

I found the problem. Drive for Diversity Program. Affirmative action in disguise? Well before it gets too political, I'm against all programs like that. An African American woman is the least likely person to work for NASCAR, and I'm sure she knew it too.

Of course, it goes without saying no one deserves to be discriminated like that unprovoked as claimed.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:03 AM   #4
Mattk
Regular User

If it's true, then she should get compensated. Even if she didn't fit into the NASCAR work environment (which she obviously didn't), she wouldn't have deserved to be mistreated, certainly not sacked. But, $250mn is pretty obscene. Firstly, with such a (purportedly) good technical education, she could get a job anywhere. No lost wages. Let's say she did suffer from stress-related illnesses. That's not uncommon, but these are short-term things and certainly, the medical treatment is very inexpensive. That leaves exemplary damages - non-financial damages. She's been given a shit deal, so she should get some, but $250mn worth? No. I reckon she'll get perhaps a few months' wages and that's it.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:16 AM   #5
Spiffu
Regular User

It should noted several other people are part of this suite, which this report doesn't state, that are coming out about their own harassment while working for Nascar.

I think this will never go to trial and it'll get settled out of court to make sure it gets as little publicity as possible.

It's an 06 dammit!
Old 06-12-2008, 09:40 AM   #6
Vansquish
Regular User

Good for her....it's about damn time that NASCAR has had to deal with the fact that it is in its essence a discriminatory organization catering to alcoholic white trash rednecks who can't think of anything better to do than watch cars drive around making left-hand turns all day and flash signs saying, "Show us your tits!" I hope she and her fellow plaintiffs take NASCAR for all its worth...it reminds me of this clip from a radio show:

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:15 PM   #7
Spiffu
Regular User

Man that was hilarious

It's an 06 dammit!
Old 06-12-2008, 02:03 PM   #8
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Haha.. I just watched Coming to America the other night
Old 06-12-2008, 02:39 PM   #9
philip
Regular User

Its difficult to believe that a large corporation in America, could be as stupid as she is alledging.

Most companies have HR departments that know this suff upside down and backwards.

250 million sounds a little steep, but male employees exposing themselves, sounds a little worse than "hey babe nice tits" that this ususally ends up being.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:33 PM   #10
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by philip View Post
250 million sounds a little steep, but male employees exposing themselves, sounds a little worse than "hey babe nice tits" that this ususally ends up being.
Which is what makes the claims so absurd... why would these guys expose themselves to some uptight wanna-be when they have actual hot groupies willing to bed down with anyone who has an official NASCAR (tm) badge
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:02 PM   #11
philip
Regular User

News reports are saying several officals have been fired for exposing themselves. Well so much for the "she's making it up" defense.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:02 PM   #12
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Hahaha. This is the most confusing article I've ever read.

Two officials suspended by NASCAR are accused in a $225 million lawsuit of exposing themselves to a former co-worker, the Associated Press has learned.

Tim Knox and Bud Moore have been placed on indefinite administrative paid leave.

NASCAR will not reveal the identities of the officials sent home Friday from Kentucky Speedway, but a person familiar with the investigation confirmed to AP on Saturday that Knox and Moore were suspended. The person requested anonymity because NASCAR's investigation is ongoing.

NASCAR did not give a reason for the men's suspension. NASCAR chairman Brian France was expected to address the investigation later Saturday at Michigan International Speedway, site of Sunday's Cup Series race.

Mauricia Grant filed her suit Tuesday...
So... Names of the offenders and the offendee are anonymous, Tim Knox, Bud Moore, and Mauricia Grant.

And why they were suspended were not given, because they exposed themselves?

It's just poor writing. I think the journalist was trying to say NASCAR didn't want to reveal who was suspended for which reason.

Anyways. Somehow, I'm not too surprised. Not to say that NASCAR officials are all rednecks or hicks, but if I saw it myself, I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:47 PM   #13
Mattk
Regular User

Who the heck calls themself 'Bud'? That's more a generic noun, like "hey bud!", rather than a name.