Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 02-29-2008, 03:07 AM   #1
5vz-fe
Regular User

Default Another F1 car for the road?

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080229....8-breaks-cover
Ariel Atom 500 V8 Breaks Cover

Ariel is about to rewrite history with its upcoming Atom 500, a V8-powered mini-space shuttle that pulls out figures of over 1,000 bhp per tonne. This from a 2.4-litre V8, which is perhaps paying homage to current Formula One rules. It is supercharged and revs to 10,000 rpm.

The 6-speed sequential gearbox is just the correct package to go with Atom 500, that along with launch control will quickly make toast of the wheels on take-off, probably almost every time. Built with an integrated function steering wheel, carbon fiber panels and aerofoils, Atom 500 is all about lightness, as seen on the bathroom scale when it hits its maximum mass of 500 kilograms.

“For a few customers the Atom 500 will be the ultimate expression of lightweight performance,” says Simon Saunders who is director at Ariel, “and represents the outer limits of what is achievable in a road registered car. We also use this sort of project to explore the possibilities of how we can improve our standard cars.”

Pricing will be confirmed soon and production is strictly limited to a few units. Those lucky, or brave enough to buy one, will probably experience what very few humans on earth have ever experienced.
Now that is one scary car. Wings are finally mandatory.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:37 AM   #2
HeilSvenska
Regular User

It's not trying to be another F1 car for the road, but it certainly is close to one than most. It's mad. There's so many mad cars that you can kill yourself in! I wonder where the engine's from.

Would I take this over the Caterham? I dunno. Caterham's certainly madder... maybe by just a bit.

Caterham RST-V8 Levante Supercharged

*Wait a minute. The Caterham RST-V8 uses a 2.4L V8 too. Maybe they're the same engine?

Last edited by HeilSvenska; 02-29-2008 at 03:48 AM.
HeilSvenska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:40 AM   #3
saadie
Regular User

ariel atom 2 was a bit of a handfull .. too much weight on the back and a bit too powerfull .. it was really busy, twitchy ..
Atom 2 pulled around 700 bhp per tonne .... this new mutant is gonna be harder and faster and scarier :\ .. if they dont manage the front/rear weight ratio ... this car is gonna be useless
Old 02-29-2008, 06:28 AM   #4
styla21
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post

Would I take this over the Caterham? I dunno. Caterham's certainly madder... maybe by just a bit.

Caterham RST-V8 Levante Supercharged
What is the RST-V8 L.S all about? (Must have been living under a rock.. )
Sounds brutal!

Last edited by styla21; 03-01-2008 at 03:35 AM.
styla21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:01 AM   #5
5vz-fe
Regular User

Actually, not until HeilSvenska brought it up, I am not aware of a 1000+ per tonne Caterham like that.

Did a quick search in google and http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/26/c...n-mark-scares/

I guess you are right, that one mad Caterham as well. However, I think I will still choose the ariel over it
Old 03-01-2008, 05:54 AM   #6
Mr.Vercetti
Regular User

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska View Post
*Wait a minute. The Caterham RST-V8 uses a 2.4L V8 too. Maybe they're the same engine?
Yeap..
Old 03-01-2008, 08:32 AM   #7
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

2 hayabusa engines in a V right?
can't wait to see some track times

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:56 PM   #8
enzoferrari
Regular User

I dont like that thing,now how much?
Old 03-01-2008, 05:10 PM   #9
pagani
Regular User

I really like it
This will eat any supercar for lunch
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:41 PM   #10
enzoferrari
Regular User

This will eat any supercar for lunch
Perhaps?Would I take it over any supercar? Not really! Thats why I want to know if is cheap.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:51 PM   #11
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Originally Posted by enzoferrari View Post
Perhaps?Would I take it over any supercar? Not really! Thats why I want to know if is cheap.
They're not. Let's see, the Caterham's over $200,000, and a base Atom's over $60,000. So yeah. They're expensive as supercars for sure.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:14 PM   #12
enzoferrari
Regular User

They're not. Let's see, the Caterham's over $200,000, and a base Atom's over $60,000. So yeah. They're expensive as supercars for sure.
60k Here in Miami with that money I could buy a C6 ZO6 with very few miles,so why would i get a motorcycle with seatsThats just me!
Old 03-02-2008, 02:36 AM   #13
5vz-fe
Regular User

Z06 is a track car for the streets......the Atom is a track car only......apples vs oranges. You might be able to get by with a Z06 as your only car, but not with the Atom.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:35 AM   #14
enzoferrari
Regular User

Z06 is a track car for the streets......the Atom is a track car only......apples vs oranges. You might be able to get by with a Z06 as your only car, but not with the Atom.
So is not street legal?
Old 03-02-2008, 03:48 AM   #15
RC45
Regular User

I spent about 40 hours track testing a Caterham Superlight 2 summers ago - and it is an awesome track chassis (and with "only" 220bhp I believe) was insanely quick - however, it is an uncomfotable and cramped and very single purpose car.

If I owned one, I would not even bother driving it to the track (even though this one was street legal) - 20 minutes into a street drive it would get old. Trust me, if you have to squeeze yourself into and extricate yourself out of the carbon fibre seated, 4 point harnessed cramped quarters that pass for the Caterham cockpit 6 times in one morning and you will also begin secretly hate the little bugger

The Ariel I am sure will be more of the same - these cars may be fun and ok for street use in quaint little european villages where there is barely 3 miles between pubs and trips will be limited to 3 a month - but here in the real world of 65 mile oneway freeway drives to the road race course, and other such "realities" you see these cars are really just track toys.

Mad fun track toys, and the twin-Busa V8 is a fantastic little unit - a bit over priced but fantastic none the less - and should make these beasties fun in small doses.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote