Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 03-10-2006, 09:35 PM   #1
r2r
Regular User

Default Lamborghini and Nissan sharing parts!

Now, I found this out recently, and I think this is outrages

When Audi bought Lamborghini in 1998, they revised the Diablo to what is now know as the Diablo 6.0 vt, they did few changes to the front and the back. With that change they got rid of the pop up headlights.

However instead of designing and putting new headlight in, Audi decided to use the headlights from the old generation of the Nissan 300zx.

[IMG]http://img208.

Now where is the logic? I know that car manufacturers sometimes swap parts to save some cost, but a rich company like Audi can afford to spend a bit more money to redesign a headlight for a well know and exclusive supercar manufacturer like Lamborghini.

What do you guy think? Was it ok for Audi to do this, or was it a cheap act on Audis part?
r2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 09:52 PM   #2
Everlasting
Regular User

it's just the headlights
Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:02 PM   #3
fabro_s
Regular User

Is this true???????????????

"Perfezione Leggera Italiana"
fabro_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:13 PM   #4
RC45
Regular User

Well the switches are lifted directly out of the VW Polo...

So what's the problem/
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:46 PM   #5
r2r
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45

So what's the problem/
Well the switches are minor things inside, plus they are form the mother company VW.

Now the headlights are one of the main parts of a car, and since Audi decided to revise the Diablo and freshen it up for the last version, why use a part from an old Nissan on a car thats worth five times the price of the 300zx, when they could have just as easily did new and better headlights.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:59 PM   #6
TransAm
Regular User

Next thing you know, Ford will be putting their parts in Aston Martins

Oh hang on a minute...

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:07 PM   #7
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by r2r

So what's the problem/
Well the switches are minor things inside, plus they are form the mother company VW.

Now the headlights are one of the main parts of a car, and since Audi decided to revise the Diablo and freshen it up for the last version, why use a part from an old Nissan on a car thats worth five times the price of the 300zx, when they could have just as easily did new and better headlights.
well Nissan probably bought the lights from the same place Ferrari buys those crappy Fiat electric bits... Delphi...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:13 PM   #8
r2r
Regular User

Originally Posted by r2r

So what's the problem/

well Nissan probably bought the lights from the same place Ferrari buys those crappy Fiat electric bits... Delphi...
Old 03-10-2006, 11:41 PM   #9
Sir_GT
Regular User

Originally Posted by r2r

So what's the problem/

Speaking from experience eh? Your Daewoo does owe quite a large percentage of its parts from Delphi, doesn't it?
Sir_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 09:08 PM   #10
Garretts_turbo
Regular User

i've known about this for a while. still a fun fact, though.
one of my buddies who owns a 300ZX got a cracked headlight from a kicked up rock on the highway and when trying to buy a replacement, found out that they were hideously expensive for this reason
Old 03-12-2006, 01:07 AM   #11
Chaos in 1983!
Regular User

are you sure this is correct? the inner parts look exactly the same, but the housing of the headlight is a bit different, the 300ZX´s looks a bit more angular than the diablo´s...

They are similar but I´m sure you could not fit the lambo´s headlight unit to the 300ZX or viceversa...

"You stick to building tractors and I will stick to building sports cars" -Enzo Ferrari to Ferruccio Lamborghini...
Chaos in 1983! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 02:02 AM   #12
r2r
Regular User

Originally Posted by Chaos in 1983!
are you sure this is correct? the inner parts look exactly the same, but the housing of the headlight is a bit different, the 300ZX´s looks a bit more angular than the diablo´s...

They are similar but I´m sure you could not fit the lambo´s headlight unit to the 300ZX or viceversa...
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they are the same. I have found few articles indicating they are the same part.

I think the housing looks a bit different because of the body form. Since Audi decided to use the existing lights from another car to save cost, it wouldn't make sense for them to make an unnoticeable difference to the housing.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:49 AM   #13
AlienDB7
Regular User

Not the first time a "supercar" sharing parts with "econo" brands. Lotus Esprit and renault gearbox anyone?
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 06:54 PM   #14
TransAm
Regular User

Originally Posted by Sir_GT
Speaking from experience eh? Your Daewoo does owe quite a large percentage of its parts from Delphi, doesn't it?
I think you might be getting confused between Delphi and Delco

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 08:07 PM   #15
T-Bird
Regular User

actually Delphi sold parts to many different companies when ACDelco is primarily a GM company but now Delphi is going bye bye... Honda stopped using their batteries which is good since they sucked balls anyways we are always jumping cars that have been on the lot maybe a month or 2.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote