Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 09-09-2004, 02:44 PM   #1
bmagni
Regular User

Default Mercedes McLaren SLR, a GT ????

This thing has perturbated me since the SLR was considered a GT...
the thing is that IMO mercedes says its a GT cause they couldnt develop a supercar...

so im gonna make a list of what does it make it be a gt and what a super car

GT:
Auto transmission
GPS
Auto air con
Radio

Supercar:
Engine
Perfo
Top Speed
Joint with McLaren
F1 tech
F1 design

so in my opinion its a bad supercar... and they justify saying its a GT by integrating some comfort extras...
and also one more thing, if i remember well, when the Vision SLR was presented, it was presented as a supercar not a GT
bmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 03:24 PM   #2
Sm@ck
Regular User

a GT does not have to be Auto (transmission)
nor does it need GPS

how ever a GT is a 2 door car, ussually with only 2 seats. How ever enough room to take some luggage with you
Sm@ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 03:26 PM   #3
bmagni
Regular User

Originally Posted by Sm@ck
a GT does not have to be Auto (transmission)
nor does it need GPS

how ever a GT is a 2 door car, ussually with only 2 seats. How ever enough room to take some luggage with you
right, but those are the things that supposedly make the SLR a GT... and i think theyre usually 2+2's which the SLR isnt either
Old 09-09-2004, 03:43 PM   #4
flimboyz
Regular User

Who considered the SLR a GT ? because it's a amazing supercar !
Old 09-09-2004, 04:02 PM   #5
bmagni
Regular User

Originally Posted by flimboyz
Who considered the SLR a GT ? because it's a amazing supercar !
Mercedes... and it aint that amazing... hehehe
Old 09-09-2004, 07:39 PM   #6
vexor
Regular User

I'd have to say that it is a GT car cause it's got a heavy auto transmission, leather seats, a/c, etc... it pretty much has everything a luxury car has, except a luxury car doesn't have that powerful supercharged V8 under the hood.

vexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 07:51 PM   #7
gottacatchup
Regular User

I'd say GT, its a very large, heavy car with a powerfull engine but overall a suspension tuned more toward cross-country driving then the track.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:07 PM   #8
bmagni
Regular User

Originally Posted by vexor
I'd have to say that it is a GT car cause it's got a heavy auto transmission, leather seats, a/c, etc... it pretty much has everything a luxury car has, except a luxury car doesn't have that powerful supercharged V8 under the hood.
the enzo and the cgt have a/c and leather covered seats too...
Old 09-09-2004, 08:32 PM   #9
JiggaStyles09
Regular User

yes but you cant use them everyday and have the same comfort level as with the SLR. and GT's dont have to be 2+2's because the regular SL is a 2 seater and it is considered a GT i think. if the SLR had a manual then i would agree that the SLR is in the same class as the enzo and CGT.

if you do put all3 in the same class though i wouldnt say that mercedes built a bad supercar, you could look at it as porsche and ferrari both built supercars beyond perfection. but you cant deny that they are different animals.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:06 PM   #10
bmagni
Regular User

Originally Posted by JiggaStyles09
yes but you cant use them everyday and have the same comfort level as with the SLR. and GT's dont have to be 2+2's because the regular SL is a 2 seater and it is considered a GT i think.
i said most of em are 2+2...

if the SLR had a manual then i would agree that the SLR is in the same class as the enzo and CGT.
well the SLR has sequential gearbox as well as the enzo, so the only manual is the CGT

if you do put all3 in the same class though i wouldnt say that mercedes built a bad supercar, you could look at it as porsche and ferrari both built supercars beyond perfection. but you cant deny that they are different animals.
maybe not bad, but not good enough
Old 09-09-2004, 09:11 PM   #11
astonmartinandy
Regular User

Mercedes originally planned the car as a supercar to compete with Ferrari's Enzo etc, however, once Mercedes intervened and stopped McLaren from developing the "Vision SLR", they had to move the goalposts to a GT so as not to look like a failure of a joint project of the supercar that they hoped for.
"It's not long before Marco arrives, but he's at least five minutes behind an epic wall of noise that's been bouncing off the rock faces like a sonic pinball. Onlookers, of which there are many, seem relieved when the livid red Ferrari skims into view, happier still when they see it's driven by a friendly Italian, and not, as the thunderous sound effects suggested, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse." Evo #059
astonmartinandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 09:25 AM   #12
Gnome
Regular User

I would call a car with four seats a coupé. "My definitions" are something like: A GT is comfortable, user friendly sportscar with luggage space while a supercar is an extremely fast sportscar where no practical considerations comes in the way of the driving experience.

I'm honestly not sure about the SLR. I feel it's a GT. Maybe because of the shape, which resembles the SL. It is also heavy and it has a rather large boot. On the other hand, it has supercar performance, and Richard said the grip was amazing. The ride is really firm, which doesn't belong in the GT class.

It's somewhere in between the classes...
Old 09-10-2004, 09:31 AM   #13
mindgam3
Regular User

Its definately a supercar, but in my opinion its a GT as well. Just a stupidly fast one.... Theres not much that can beat it around a track in the big picture of things
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 10:19 AM   #14
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

everything is marketing matter IMO, once the segments are defined by each brand according to its interests...for instance, in general the very powerful 2 door cars are classified in two sort of class

the GT class such as the ferrari 550, the Aston Martin Vanquish, the Jag XKR, the vette, the viper, the murcielago....(2+2 cars with some level of confort, not very radical reactions when driving it)...in conclusion...cars that let do many and many kilometers on motorway in a confortable way.......and i think that Merc want to enphasize that the SLR belongs to this group

whereas the supercars spirit is totally different, its aim is to find out the maximum efficiency and sensation of a racing car on racetracks, regardless the confort, noise of the cars...this group has the following cars such as the ferrari enzo, the porsche carrera GT, the lambo diablo GT, the Pagani Zonda, the Koenisegg...
Ford Capri 2.8i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 04:07 PM   #15
JiggaStyles09
Regular User

well the SLR has sequential gearbox as well as the enzo, so the only manual is the CGT
im pretty sure there is no clutch in the SLR's gearbox. it can be controlled similarly to the sequential gearboxes but its not the same as the enzo's.