Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 09-01-2004, 10:45 AM   #1
mindgam3
Regular User

Default The Russian TVR update....

Looks like all is well at TVR with the new owner and he's already made a few changes for the better

From EVO:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/ev...y.php?id=49586
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 11:56 AM   #2
sentra_dude

Very interesting article. I'm very glad to hear that the new owner seems committed to TVR values & ideals, and wants the company to continue along the path of high-performance and uniqueness. The one thing that really surprises me...how little he paid for TVR...only 15 million pounds seems outrageously low for a company that produces 1000-2000(?) cars a year. I would have expected more like 50-75milllion pounds, but that shows you just how small TVR is...

I'm glad he's addressing the quality problems in TVRs...that seems to be the only area where they don't kill their competition

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 11:57 AM   #3
HeilSvenska
Regular User

What? Move the factory to Stalingrad and use Lada bits to save price?

kidding.

Wow. Good for TVR, it sounds like this guy is serious. It just might mean that TVR may be available in US in near future....officially.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:09 PM   #4
possessed_beaver
Regular User

awsome, good to see he is very serious about TVR and want to see them develop, should be good with all the extra quality control he has introduced.

looks like TVR has a very exiting fucture install for them.
possessed_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 01:03 PM   #5
FordGTGuy

I don't know about that first pic those are some pretty ugly intakes in the hood.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:09 PM   #6
X-ale
Regular User

Those are not intakes you dumbass
Old 09-01-2004, 01:18 PM   #7
gottacatchup
Regular User

Originally Posted by FordGTGuy
I don't know about that first pic those are some pretty ugly intakes in the hood.
They're cooling ducts and possibly aerodynamic aids.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:48 PM   #8
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

A very good article indeed, i got amazed how young the new russian owner is, how inteligent he is, and how a hard worker he is also(due to his family movement to the UK, and his work timetable as well); his ambition is also demonstrated once he assumed two important challenges such as the improvement of the reliability of the car, and the expansion of the TVR in more market, he seems a modern entrepreneur and serious as well due to the system that he is implementating to control the quality of the process production, and in a few days since the purchase of TVR............simply i got amazed with his entrepreneur manners and his age
Ford Capri 2.8i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 01:51 PM   #9
FordGTGuy

Originally Posted by gottacatchup
Originally Posted by FordGTGuy
They're cooling ducts and possibly aerodynamic aids.
thats what I meant :I they are air intakes for cooling and dynamics. :roll:
Old 09-01-2004, 02:02 PM   #10
X-ale
Regular User

you'd be closer by saying air outtakes. The intakes are below the bumper line... :roll:
Old 09-01-2004, 05:33 PM   #11
FPVPSI
Regular User

Well done to Nikolai Smolensky...It's great to see young guys taking control...I think the build and quality issue is the only reason TVR's arn't exported to world wide markets...Hopefully it will change....
Old 09-01-2004, 11:01 PM   #12
RC45
Regular User

I think otherwise.. he will get bored with TVR after a few years...

Nikolai’s father, Alexander, is widely loathed in Russia for leaving millions of ordinary savers high-and-dry in 1998 when his bank, SBS-Agro, went bust.

Still one of Russia’s richest men, Smolensky Senior has shown no remorse for the chaos caused by his bank. He once said that his countrymen and foreign investors deserved nothing more than "dead donkeys’ ears" for having the stupidity to trust him.

He handed the remnants of his banking empire to his son last year, and Nikolai promptly vowed to build the business, open hundreds of branches across Russia and win back the confidence of wary depositors.

Within months though, he had abandoned the project, and the bank was sold to a billionaire acquaintance shortly afterwards.
And lest you think all the new eastern bloc money is made from honest hard work - here is the bio fo the new owner of Chelsea FBC..

Roman Abramovich lost his parents as a child, dropped out of college and then made a small fortune in a series of oil export deals in the early 1990s. His fortunes took off in 1995, when he teamed up with Russia's most powerful crony capitalist, Boris Berezovsky, to take over oil giant Sibneft at a fraction of its market value. When Berezovsky fled Russia in 2000 to escape fraud charges; Abramovich bought out his stakes in Sibneft and the ORT television network. Also bought half of Russia's largest aluminum company. Today he's governor of the impoverished arctic region of Chukhotka, but retains investments through his British-registered holding company, Millhouse Capital.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 11:16 PM   #13
BADMIHAI
Regular User

And lest you think all the new eastern bloc money is made from honest hard work

That's next to impossible to do in the "new Eastern Block". When everybody that's somebody is corrupt, you have to join them in order to become rich.

Back on topic: A reliable TVR would be unstoppable. Ferrari what?
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 11:24 PM   #14
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by BADMIHAI
And lest you think all the new eastern bloc money is made from honest hard work

That's next to impossible to do in the "new Eastern Block". When everybody that's somebody is corrupt, you have to join them in order to become rich.

Back on topic: A reliable TVR would be unstoppable. Ferrari what?
BADMIHAI How can you forget the AMERICA!

Its should be like this:

A reliable TVR would be unstoppable. AMERICA what?
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 01:16 AM   #15
5vz-fe
Regular User

Not a bad idea to setup a QC department, if they want to take customers away from Porsches, they better make their car reliable.
Not so sure about the corporate uniform idea tho.