Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 04-14-2009, 03:55 AM   #1
5vz-fe
Regular User

Default Bad Timing for GM?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/04/13/gm.recall/index.html

The possibility of engine fires has prompted General Motors to recall nearly 1.5 million passenger sedans manufactured between 1997 and 2003, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration announced Monday.

The recall covers certain mid- and full-size passenger sedans under GM's Chevrolet, Buick, Oldsmobile and Pontiac brands.

The affected vehicles have naturally aspirated 3.8 liter V6 engines -- that is, engines that use atmospheric pressure rather than a mechanical blower to bring in air for combustion -- according to documents that GM filed with federal regulators last week.

On Friday, the federal government acknowledged the filing and agreed to the plan. The problem involves a potential for oil to leak on the exhaust manifold during hard braking. When a car operates under normal conditions, the manifold can get very hot. Oil that runs below the manifold's heat shield could ignite and spread to plastic channels that hold spark plug wires. As a solution, the company recommends a change in the bracket that holds spark plug wires, which will be done free of charge. Owners and dealers affected by the recall will be notified by letter next month with details.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:38 AM   #2
turpija
Regular User

they say it's oil leak that can ignite and start fire under the hood, apperently it's easy fix, so I don't know where you get the idea that it's a bad timing

j/k I know what are you saying, and I agree this won't help them
turpija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:56 AM   #3
5vz-fe
Regular User

It'll prolly cost them more than a shinny penny also.
5 bucks for bracket, 10 bucks for labor. That's 22.5 mil.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:02 AM   #4
turpija
Regular User

yea that's a lot of cash, but it's in a mil. range not a bil. range
and you know millions are so last year everything has to be in billions these days
turpija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:03 AM   #5
5vz-fe
Regular User

LOL...true true.

Obama's spending budget sure make millions less and less significant.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
nthfinity
Regular User

assuming all 1.5 million cars are still on the road, and every owner will have the service done. Additionally, only the installation cost is flat; the bracket itself will be likely sold "at or near cost" so I'd juxtapose it would be cheaper than $5 per bracket.

That said; I've never been a fan of the standard 3.8 GM V6... Series I is good; particularly in turbocharged format. The Series II, and III were not... Series II had issues with blown head gaskets.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:23 PM   #7
79TA
Regular User

None of those cars are very new . . . it seems like they would have burned to the ground by now if there was a serious risk.

Anyway, <3 GM 3.8 litre engines.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote