Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 03-19-2006, 03:43 PM   #1
Global Warming
Regular User

Default Have you ever seen a bigger ad campaign than…

The current barrage over the new VW GTI?!?! WTF?!? I don’t even care what this car is or does, it could have a 0 to 60 time of 1.1 secs and I still already hate it! Who are the people that see those commercials and think “that’s soo cool, I really want one!”

“Get in touch with your fast”?? and they have some little star wars looking dude? And then the German techno rapper in the white coat saying “German engineering in the house yoo!” WTF how young do you have to be to think any of this is cool??!?

It’s like VW hired Maxim as their advertising department! The new GTI goes on my Seriously Uncool wall by default just because of the ad blitz!
Old 03-19-2006, 03:54 PM   #2
martin100
Regular User

Hmm, here in Germany the ad campaign is by far not as big as you described. I haven´t seen a TV spot about the GTI in a long time... And the car mags i read rarely got GTI ads in them either
martin100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 04:13 PM   #3
Global Warming
Regular User

for you guys not in the USA here are half of them - http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/02/...t-commercials/

They also have an entire other set and theme with the German techno rapper guy...

Here are a few of those - http://www.netzkobold.com/index.php?...-house-ya.html

Old 03-19-2006, 04:31 PM   #4
blah
Regular User

I think they are funny as hell.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:51 PM   #5
tanelvali
Regular User

no ads in estonia either. but definately it is a cool car. and i do want one.
tanelvali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 07:00 PM   #6
AlienDB7
Regular User

I haven't seen them in Canada either. My guess is, they arent even being shown on TV! Just another case of "viral ads"??
AlienDB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 07:46 PM   #7
gobs3z
Regular User

I don't care at all for the new GTI, but the commercials are funny and by you talking about them (good ro bad) they have succeeded in exactly what they were put out their to do and that is get your attention. And Global, they're not supposed to think it's cool, they know its stupid and dorky but they got your attention so they one. And that VW symbol he makes with his hands is not the VW sign in the VW community, it's just suppose to be a peace sign with your fingers. I can't stand VW, but the ads are funny so more power to their PR department.

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow
gobs3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:42 PM   #8
Mattk
Regular User

The GTI doesn't seem to need advertising in Sydney. The waiting time is a few months, apparently.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:05 PM   #9
T-Bird
Regular User

well that little star wars looking guy is the GTI rabbit but black they have them at dealerships. And I think they are funny ass commercials even the german scientist ones. And after driving the new GTI I have to say that it is one insanely nice car very refined and fast that DSG box is amazing.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:30 AM   #10
blah
Regular User

Originally Posted by T-Bird
well that little star wars looking guy is the GTI rabbit but black they have them at dealerships. And I think they are funny ass commercials even the german scientist ones. And after driving the new GTI I have to say that it is one insanely nice car very refined and fast that DSG box is amazing.
I drove the 6 speed manual, and all i can say is that its definately the best car in that market right now. The new Clutch is to die for, no more pussy VW clutch. At first the throws felt long but when you really get into it, it felt precise no missing gates at all in that car. I was doing perfect downshifts in that car. The steering feel was to die for, all in all i would definately get that car if it had more power.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:07 AM   #11
cooperluke
Regular User

I've never seen a GTI ad here in Portugal... only on the net!

cooperluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:07 AM   #12
LotusGT1
Regular User

Originally Posted by Ronin005
Originally Posted by DrijF360
change the channel, no big deal.
who is that in your sig??
Best question in this topic.

Who is she?