Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 03-16-2007, 10:22 PM   #31
5vz-fe
Regular User

What I am hoping is that Kimi don't push the engine too hard so early.....
Old 03-16-2007, 11:39 PM   #32
5vz-fe
Regular User

Massa's car broke......crap!!

Kimi for pole....unfortunately that spanish fool is 2nd.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:08 AM   #33
SFDMALEX
Regular User

This Hamilton hype is getting really annoying.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:13 AM   #34
bmagni
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
anything but Alstronzo
bmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:21 AM   #35
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by bmagni
Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
anything but Alstronzo
I hope Hamilton beats Alonso I just dont want to hear Hamiltons name every 10 seconds.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:50 AM   #36
5vz-fe
Regular User

^That would really make my day!!
Old 03-17-2007, 01:10 AM   #37
ZfrkS62
Regular User

fuck yeah. Kimi up front let's see Mercedes' engine gremlins return this year

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:32 AM   #38
ae86_16v
Regular User

Way to GO Ferrari! Glad to see Kimi take the Pole! Let's hope tomorrow's race pans out!!!

That Red & White does look cool:

ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:34 AM   #39
sameerrao
Regular User

Raikkonen puts Ferrari on pole

Mixed fortunes for Italian team; Super Aguri sparkle

17 March 2007

World championship rivals Kimi Raikkonen and Fernando Alonso will start from the front row in Sunday’s Australian Grand Prix, after the Finn beat the Spaniard by a hair over four-tenths of a second. But where Alonso’s McLaren partner Lewis Hamilton backed him strongly with a second-row start on his debut, Felipe Massa was only 16th after suffering gearbox problems.

In a session run under warm sun and on a bone-dry track, Raikkonen set the pace in first qualifying, was content to let Alonso do so in the second, and then banged in the 1m 26.072s lap that secured him the pole in the third and final runs. He thus became the first debutant Ferrari driver to take pole position since Juan Manuel Fangio back in 1956.

“Today we spent time getting a good set-up on car,” Raikkonen said. “For one lap it was still not ideal, not for me at least, but the main thing is it was quick enough. We have a good race package, so I am more confident for the race than for qualifying. This can be quite a funny race, but we’ll do our best and hope to win.”

Having been obliged to play second fiddle most of the weekend to Hamilton, Alonso pulled up in the final session with a lap of 1m 26.493s to depose the impressive young Briton, who also found himself pushed down a place by speedy Nick Heidfeld in the BMW Sauber. Hamilton lapped in 1m 26.755s, completing another session devoid of mistakes, but dropped to fourth when the German took his F1.07 round in 1m 26.556s right at the end.

Alonso said he was still building his confidence in the car, and added: “I think at end we are there and to start where we are is fantastic news for the team. They have made a huge step forward since last year and we need say thanks to team. I really hope it will be a close race tomorrow, and it can be very interesting; we have been very competitive all weekend.”

Robert Kubica’s chances of improving on 1m 27.347s in the BMW Sauber were stymied by a mistake on his final run, leaving him fifth ahead of Giancarlo Fisichella, who did no better than 1m 27.634s for the hitherto dominant Renault.

Mark Webber boosted the crowd (and himself) with seventh-fastest time in his Red Bull, after a lap in 1m 27.934s, then, against expectations, came the Toyotas of Jarno Trulli and Ralf Schumacher on 1m 28.404s and 1m 28.692s respectively. Both of them had initial dramas: Trulli inadvertently dragged a jack all down the pit lane and then on to the track when he first went out; Schumacher had a tyre problem and had to creep back to the pits before getting going again.

While they celebrated getting into the top ten, Takuma Sato was cock-a-hoop down at Super Aguri. A year ago the team had to borrow a show car from a local mall to make the race; 12 months on they made the top five rows on merit after a great performance yielded a best lap of 1m 28.871s. If there was anything bittersweet about the success, it was that Super Aguri team mate Anthony Davidson just failed to get through to the third session, but he will line up as second-fastest Briton in 11th place with a lap of 1m 26.909s. Nico Rosberg will be alongside him in the Williams with 1m 26.914s, followed by debutant Heikki Kovalainen in the second Renault on 1m 26.964s. He shares row seven with a very despondent Jenson Button, who did all he could to squeeze a disappointing 1m 27.264s out of his Honda.

Alex Wurz lapped his Williams in 1m 27.393s for 15th, while poor Felipe Massa had a gearbox problem in the second session and will start 16th for Ferrari with no recorded lap time.

The first session weeded out the second Red Bull, both Toro Rossos, both Spykers and Rubens Barrichello’s Honda. The Brazilian lapped in 1m 27.679s which left him 17th ahead of an on-form Scott Speed (1m 27.305s), David Coulthard (1m 27.579s), a troubled Tonio Liuzzi (1m 29.267s, before a defective refuelling rig prevented him getting enough juice for his second run), debutant Adrian Sutil (1m 29.339s) and Christijan Albers (1m 31.932s).

Thus the grid is set for the opening race of 2007, and a terrific battle is in prospect. If anything happens to Raikkonen or Alonso, could Hamilton become the first man since Giancarlo Baghetti back in 1961 to win on his debut?
Pity about Massa - he would have been on P2 for sure.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 02:09 AM   #40
Max Power

speed commentators are fun to watch (listen)...

that foo better not win...that's all i'm rooting for this season...
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:20 AM   #41
xecutioner
Regular User

just came back from todays qualifying

so glad to see kimmi in a reliable and fast car for once

to bad for massa

bah alonso

to bad he hasnt got the renault launch anymore which prob helped him win every race

cant wait for tomorrow

im already sunburnt bad and i dont think it can get any worse so me going tomorrow will hurt but its worth it
Old 03-17-2007, 08:07 AM   #42
yg60m
Regular User

Very promising grid IMO, too bad for Massa but I am soo happy that Kimi did the pole I would have been disappointed if Felipe had beat him ... We will see in the next GP ... Anyway it's been a long time I wasn't so happy to see Ferrari in front
Old 03-17-2007, 09:26 AM   #43
bultaco_metralla
Regular User

Yeah baby F1 again!!! Nice job by Hamilton, as ive said many times, this guy promises!!! Nice Pole by IceMan!! Fist face off between Raik FA.lonso... too bad that mechanical failure of Massa... Waitiing for the race!!! Yuhuuuuu!!!! are you going to wake up for it ?? i will going for party and will come back for the race!!
Old 03-17-2007, 10:15 AM   #44
pagani
Regular User

Go mclaren mercedes.
Where is m schumacher??
I hope that spyker f1 will do good.
The iceman is fast.
8)
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:19 PM   #45
blue8
Regular User

Originally Posted by pagani
\Where is m schumacher??
I hope that question wasn't serious... where have you been ? Basically he retired. Sad but he had to leave eventually. The Ferrari Team will certainly still do well!! 8)

blue8 is offline   Reply With Quote