Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 09-14-2004, 08:29 AM   #16
saadie
Regular User

Originally Posted by Wutputt
Fuel used in F1 has to meet special F1 regulations
thats y i asked
i know all the tech stuff ..... theres a specific name of the fuel ... like JP = Jet Petrolium ... im stuck with the name ...

Originally Posted by Wutputt
Turbo's were ruled out in 1989.
BUt WHY ...
they were too fast, turbo lag, pritty risky ....
Old 09-14-2004, 04:18 PM   #17
Wutputt
Regular User

Ah ok.
I also don't know the exact name of the fuel.

Well the reason turbo's were ruled out was because they were becoming to powerful, so the cars became to fast according to the FIA. Well it's about the same as nowadays. The FIA is convinced the current F1 cars are to fast so they want to introduce new rules. Currently the teams can choose one of 3 proposed new rule packages. And one involves ruling out the 3.0 V10 engines and replacing them with 2.4 V8 engines. So history will probably repeat itself.
Wutputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 05:21 AM   #18
saadie
Regular User

hmm ... interesting ....... im gonna do a lil searchey abt turbi's lateron ....

anywayz anyone knows anything about the TRACKS mentioned above ..
Old 09-15-2004, 01:53 PM   #19
levensnevel
Regular User

Fuel:
check out
http://www.shell.com/static/shellrac...el/fuel_gt.pdf
for the wider picture
Similar to the technical development of a F1 car during the season the oilcompanies like Shell car continue to develop the fuel
throughout the season in order to strike the optimum balance between the characteristics of both the car and the circuit
e.g.
> During the 1st seven races Ferrari used Shell V-Power F1 ULG58 spec fuel
> as from Canada Ferrari used the Shell ULG58 / L4spec fuel
> and as from Germany Ferrari uses Shell V-Power ULG59

All thisi information and much more can be found at
http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?..._calendar.html

Niets of niemand zegt dat het echt moet
En toch, of juist daarom,wil je het beleven....

Weblog
levensnevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 10:03 AM   #20
sau_mathur
Regular User

dunno if i shud post it here, or in its parent forum, but bear with me if this isnt the right place for it. It is a technical question about a formula 1 car. I have always been fascinated as to the engine starting mechanism of the cars..!!How does a formula1 car start????

i mean is it a computer software that triggers the engine to start? ive seen the long metallic thingy poke in the back of the car that they use as an ignition mechanism. Just how does it work ?

If someone could enrich me with that knowledge, that would be AWESOME !!!
sau_mathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 12:28 PM   #21
Wutputt
Regular User

Originally Posted by sau_mathur
dunno if i shud post it here, or in its parent forum, but bear with me if this isnt the right place for it. It is a technical question about a formula 1 car. I have always been fascinated as to the engine starting mechanism of the cars..!!How does a formula1 car start????

i mean is it a computer software that triggers the engine to start? ive seen the long metallic thingy poke in the back of the car that they use as an ignition mechanism. Just how does it work ?

If someone could enrich me with that knowledge, that would be AWESOME !!!
The thing I know: the long metallic thingy is used to connect it to a gearbox shaft which is connected via the other gearbox shafts and the clutch to the engine of course. Before starting, the engine has to be preheated and then they let the engine spin at low rpm so the the oil pumps start to work. If the oil pressure is high enough, the ignition can be turned on and the engine starts.

I also heard a laptop has to be connected to insert a password before the engine can be started. Of course for the race, they can unlock the password. Because in case the driver stalls in the pits, they can fastly start it up again without using a laptop for inserting the password.
Wutputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 09:29 PM   #22
gtx28
Regular User

Ok does anyone have any detailed info about how they can get the motor reving so high are they using roller cranks? , any info on this would be very interesting links always appreciated.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:03 PM   #23
jenkF1
Regular User

I think F1 cars are started via a Laptop. But after this once the ignition is cut out for a momentery time of like 30secs or so it can be restarted without a Laptop via one of those pokey metallic things in the pitstop. Thats what I thought anyway, anyone is free to correct me.

"..its time for diesel lovers to go make the tea"
jenkF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 04:07 AM   #24
SPEEDCORE
Regular User

Yeap thats rite and then they are warmed up using a laptop. Check out Fifth Gear episode 2004(series 2). It shows how the laptop runs afew tests b4 they get a driver/engineer to manually go up n down the gears.
When I was walking about Albert Park earlier in the month they had the Williams F1 car(for the battle between the road cars) sitting on the side of the sideroad with a laptop on the rear wing
SPEEDCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 10:22 PM   #25
Toronto
Regular User

^^^ they do have cooling systems in them, just no fans (the use moving air)
Old 03-27-2005, 11:54 PM   #26
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Does anyone know how the Pnuematic Valvetrain works on the engines? I've tried to picture it in my head but just can't seem to come up with a viable diagram

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 09:03 PM   #27
deth
Regular User

These engines are mainly made from forged aluminium alloy, because of the weight advantages it gives in comparison to steel. Other materials would maybe give some extra advantages, but to limit costs, the FIA has forbidden non-ferro materials.
just to clarify, aluminium is a non-ferrous metal. is aluminum the only exception that tehy are allowed to use?
Old 03-28-2005, 09:35 PM   #28
antonioledesma
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
Does anyone know how the Pnuematic Valvetrain works on the engines? I've tried to picture it in my head but just can't seem to come up with a viable diagram
some images, the first is a simple view, and the second is a more detailed one. I liked your question...I was also wondering how was done

http://www.pureluckdesign.com/ferrari/f1engine/

hope this works
antonioledesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 04:17 PM   #29
jenkF1
Regular User

I know this is pretty basic stuff, but there are a few things which confuse me a bit with suspensions set-ups.

With a stiffer front-end surely the front will be more responsive thus promoting oversteer/better turn-in? And with a soft front-end I would have thought this would promote understeer.

However, because the front is softer wouldn't it follow(ride) the track better thus giving more front end grip and thus oversteer?

This is fuking my head up. I personally think that a softer front end promotes better response, but softening increases front end grip. :idea: :shock:

I know what oversteer is, but I guess that 'turn-in' basically the same. Whats the difference in these two terms?

"..its time for diesel lovers to go make the tea"
jenkF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 04:44 PM   #30
Toronto
Regular User

Ok this is the best I can do to help you.

Understeer is when the car wont turn as much as you would like, so you would have to add more lock to the front tires, thus wearing them down more then they should be. to stop the car from understeering you simply add more downforce on the front wing. or lower the car down. another way is to soften the from wheels grip (giving them more grip), or stiff up the real wheels and give them less grip.

now what does understreer have to do with angle of attack, well simply put nothing, understreer is a mid-turn change to the amount of lock going through the apex of the turn, nothing on the turn in can help you.

now onto oversteer,
this mostly happens on the EXIT of a turn, and isn't cause most of the time by the setup of the car, but by the use of the throttle by the driver.
for example
the driver has started the turn with to much lock on the wheel, he then steps on the gas when the rear tire have more grip then the front tires, making the car oversteer because now the rear tires have more grip and are now steering the car through the conner, so he has to turn the wheel in the opposite way during the turn, adding opposite lock. and again wearing down the fron tires

now oversteer can happen on the turn when the rear is to stiff, and grips the track while the the front end of the car has no grip (cause of the turning of the wheels) and the driver then has to lift off, cuase a loss of time.
to stop oversteer you can stiffen up the front or loosen up the rear suspension.

edit. now to talk about the car spinning on the turn in, this is caused by late braking and causes the rear to loose grip and spin around, all the drivers fault.