Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 08-16-2004, 10:19 PM   #16
RC45
Regular User

Having been part of an SP2 review for corporate roll-out - do yourself a favour and test before you just SP2 your shit.

If you any custom applications or components that may rely on default windows lack of security be prepared for shit to start breaking everywhere...

Besides.. if shit isn't broken - there is no need to just SP2 for the sake of SP2...

But what would I know - I'm just a hick from the sticks..
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 10:27 PM   #17
blah
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Having been part of an SP2 review for corporate roll-out - do yourself a favour and test before you just SP2 your shit.

If you any custom applications or components that may rely on default windows lack of security be prepared for shit to start breaking everywhere...

Besides.. if shit isn't broken - there is no need to just SP2 for the sake of SP2...

But what would I know - I'm just a hick from the sticks..
PA DA PIGS DUN GOT OUT AGAIN! :pig noises in bagground: Bring the Shovel and some Shotguns...>We Gunna hav a Hoe-Down :gun fire in background:
Old 08-17-2004, 02:48 AM   #18
dingo
Regular User

Originally Posted by T-Bird
so you had the beta version that's been out for about 3 months. I want a real version and why is it that people are so cheap they can't just pay for XP it isn't that expensive. Or is it like $500 overseas?
Its not quite $500, but over $400 anyway so it is fairly expensive.

I won't be getting SP2, because like RC45 said there is no need of nothing is wrong atm. I don't use IE6 anyway so don't need the pop-up blocker and I haven't had any security problems either.
My next upgrade will be when Longhorn comes out in about 25yrs or whatver it is.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:50 AM   #19
T-Bird
Regular User

I think it's only 20 years now they made some progress last I heard.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 11:04 AM   #20
possessed_beaver
Regular User

thanks for all ya comments, i guess i will get it, i installed SP1 with no problems *touch wood*

a "popup blocker.. wtf!"
possessed_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 12:40 PM   #21
T-Bird
Regular User

Originally Posted by thamar
Originally Posted by T-Bird
so you had the beta version that's been out for about 3 months. I want a real version and why is it that people are so cheap they can't just pay for XP it isn't that expensive. Or is it like $500 overseas?
Yeah, like you bought every piece of software you use :roll:
Software wise I have payed for it all if it required it. I have programs that are free online but no pirated software.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 07:17 AM   #22
nejcdolinsek
Regular User

SP2 links:

http://www.phazeddl.com/dl.php?id=41461

BTW, I downloaded form http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...35-SP2-ENU.exe , and it seems to be the FINAL version.

Why would you even consider paying the bastards at microsoft hundreds of $$$, when you can download it for free? They get billions of dollars in profits anyway... and its not like they improve their products in any case

Have fun!
Old 08-19-2004, 09:12 AM   #23
Lukasz

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet
http://support.microsoft.com/default...t=windowsxpsp2

for 'may work differently' read 'it might not work at all'
Old 08-19-2004, 09:29 AM   #24
nejcdolinsek
Regular User

Originally Posted by Dan\/6

Thats a MASSIVE list! :shock:

Didn't think that SP2 still had so many issues...
Old 08-19-2004, 10:52 AM   #25
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by nejcdolinsek
Originally Posted by Dan\/6

Thats a MASSIVE list! :shock:

Didn't think that SP2 still had so many issues...
Nope - not issues.

This is what all you Linux yahoos asked for - a more secure Windows platform out of the box.

This is what you get with SP2 for XP.

But y'all forgot one important thing.

How do you think all the previous 86 million software titles worked so easily out the box?

There was very little "environment security" hindering all the feature sets of the software.

Now these "open doors" that allowed all your games and other tings to operate flawlessly are closed or removed.

The result - you get what you asked for. Linux looking like XP.

In other words you now have to custom tune and modify EVERYTHING...

LOL - we have come full circle. After 10 years - you will now have to know what you are doing again...

The free ride on the Micro$haft Installation Wizard is over babeee...

The irony....
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 07:12 AM   #26
enigmatic
Regular User

from the experience i've had with sp2 at work, the fancy looking new windows firewall is enabled by default, which is going to be an inherent issue for corporations.
on our corporate network, for example, of around 200 xp pc's, the sp2 firewall will block off our anti-virus updates, remote control software, and anyone running the client software for our Titan building security system (door access etc, mission critical - obviously).

all this was realised in only 1 hour of testing, so who knows what else is to come.
also, the software used by our finance staff simply dosn't work with sp2 - "sp2 compatability will be announced with future software updates" is all the software makers have to say. not good when you have over 30 such users.

then when you've got another 100-odd xp machines run by researchers with all sorts of critical software, it can get a little complicated.

luckily we have the ability to simply block sp2 with our SUS policy, but it ofcourse can't go on like that for too long.

ok for home users, but a pain in the ass for us. :x

there must be some way to deploy a custom firewall configuration to suit our machines - or possibly create a custom sp2 msi to blast out.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:35 AM   #27
DeMoN
Regular User

I have just installed SP2 3 days ago and no problems yet. On the good side, I have only seen that its firewall is better. Previous firewall made some problems while accesing computers on your network, this time it doesnt. It also is better on some of the Wizards, but other than that, no major improvements.

Try looking for SP2 Reviews on PCWORLD.com and PCMAG.com